PDA

View Full Version : Turn undead

GeekGirl
2013-05-20, 11:31 AM
Greetings all.
I've been playing 3.5 for a few years now. I was thinking of throwing some undead at my player, so I started rereading the rules on turn undead. After reading through it, I feel like I have been doing turn undead incorrectly the whole time.
So my question is this, can some one explain how turn undead works as if I were a 5 year old?

I feel like I had it at some point but lost the rules in my head.
Thanks all

Pesimismrocks
2013-05-20, 12:01 PM
Yea, this did my head in too.

Basically you get 3+CHA modifier turn attempts per day

When make a CHA check. This determines the maximum hit die of one undead you can turn
You turn the undead nearest you that's equal to or under that number of hit die.

Now another check. Roll 2D6+CHA+cleric level. This is the maximum number of total hit die you can turn.

If your CHA check lets you turn undead of up to 8 hit die and the second check is 18 you could turn 9 2HD zombies or 2 7HD & 1 4HD undead but nor 2 9HD undead.

Turning then causes those undead to flee for 1 minute. Hope that explained it. Two seperate checks, one for total hit die turned, one for maximum hit die of a single undead turned.

Vknight
2013-05-20, 12:02 PM
You see little one when a bad undead man attacks the cleric points his holy symbol and says begone spawn of evil and vile natures :smallbiggrin:

To be serious

Times Per Day 3+Charisma Modifier

You roll 1d20+Charisma Modifier

The turn attempt result determines the highest number of Undead(Hit Dice) one may turn. So if you result is 5HD. And there are 2, zombies with 3HD, and one with 6HD. The one with 6HD is not effected but the two with 3HD are.

Turned Undead flee for 1minute(10rounds). They try the best way possible to get away. They cower if they can't flee. If you get within 10ft of the Undead that have been turned are treated as no longer being turned

Turning Damage I'm not really certain I believe I've read it right but I could be wrong so I won't say anything

If you have twice the Hit Dice compared to the amount of Undead(Hit Dice) in the area of the Turn Undead are completely destroyed

EmperorSarda
2013-05-20, 12:39 PM
Unless of course you have Greater Turning, then you can destroy any undead you turn.

Diarmuid
2013-05-20, 12:45 PM
Turning Undead is a standard action unless specifically updated (Quicken Turning, for example).

tiercel
2013-05-20, 10:59 PM
Turn undead is an ability that lets you power feats that let you do really cool or powerful things.

In theory, turn undead makes undead things run away TOO.

Arael666
2013-05-21, 02:24 PM
If you really dont want them turning the undead you can make an evil cleric bolster them (as per turn/rebuke rules).

You can also make the PC's fight the undead inside a desecrate spell (wich imposes a -3 or -6 profane penalty on turning atempts).

GeekGirl
2013-05-21, 05:10 PM
If you really dont want them turning the undead you can make an evil cleric bolster them (as per turn/rebuke rules).

You can also make the PC's fight the undead inside a desecrate spell (wich imposes a -3 or -6 profane penalty on turning atempts).

I'm fine with turn undead working on something, I was just making sure I had the mechanics of how it did it right.

Keld Denar
2013-05-21, 06:55 PM
The only part I never really understood is when you roll turn damage, do you use your base cleric level, or your effective cleric level? It doesn't really specify. There are lots of ways to augment your effective cleric level, from a Phylactery of Undead Turning to simply rolling well on your TU Cha check. I guess I always used effective cleric level, but I've never been very sure.

tiercel
2013-05-21, 08:34 PM
The only part I never really understood is when you roll turn damage, do you use your base cleric level, or your effective cleric level? It doesn't really specify. There are lots of ways to augment your effective cleric level, from a Phylactery of Undead Turning to simply rolling well on your TU Cha check. I guess I always used effective cleric level, but I've never been very sure.

Your effective cleric level. The phylactery of undead turning specifically helps this. Your actual turning check (d20+Cha) doesn't affect your cleric level, just what the most powerful undead is that you can affect.

Note that you need a boost to your cleric level, not just your caster level or your Hit Dice, to affect your turning damage.

Raising your Charisma helps of course, and getting a bonus to ability checks helps with the turning check because it is explicitly a Charisma check (for instance, the circlet of persuasion arguably helps with the turning check). And of course, 5 ranks in Knowledge(Religion) gives you +2 to the turning check. The turning damage roll isn't a skill or ability check per se, though.

So:
turning check: determines biggest undead you can affect; improved by improving Charisma, bonuses to ability checks, synergy bonus from K(religion)

turning damage: determines number of HD affected; improved by improved effective cleric level, improving Charisma

Fyermind
2013-05-22, 02:33 AM
Turn undead usually involves making a touch attack followed by a successful grapple check and is best left to barbarians. Unfortunately some undead, like Liches, have a particularly good sense of balance and are resistant to turning. They are treated as though they had more HD than they actually do for the purposes of Turn Undead.

yougi
2013-05-22, 06:15 AM
Or there's also the variant rule in Complete Divine: it deals CL d6 damage to undead within 30', Will save (DC = half level + Cha mod) for half.

Kaustic
2013-05-22, 11:24 AM
I've found the Complete Champions' Ordained Champion has a Smite mechanic that uses up Turn Undead Attempts for flat out Cha bonus to Attack Rolls, and letting you deal extra damage to the total of your Effective Turn/Rebuke Level. I'm playing a Warforged Cleric that will be using it fairly often at lower levels until I can get my hands on Divine Metamagic. Plus the Ordained Champions Smite mechanic is not as limited as a Paladins.