PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Tank *Pathfinder*

MythrilShotgun
2013-05-20, 12:59 PM
I'm not going to pretend that this is any groundbreaking stuff here, but I've been increasingly amused by this idea, and wanted to share it. I have three variations, and I'm positive there are many more.

Archer Tank
By far the quickest and easiest way to accomplish the task. They have quite a few things going for them, especially considering the heavy feat tax. I don't really believe a full build is needed, but I will show the feats involved with it.

At 6th level:
Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (Bow), Improved Disarm/feint, Snap Shot, Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Combat Expertise.

This is really the earliest level a ranged tank -can- work. The main suggestion is to disarm at ranged on your normal attack round, which won't provoke. However, it shines at 11th level, where all ranged attacks do not provoke (9th), picking up Precise Shot along the way. You can trip on each attack, (11th level, also picking up Improved Trip). Extra feats also make this so much shinier, like Improved Snap Shot, Combat Patrol, and Steady Engagement.

Gunslinger
Other builds are similar to this one, but I like Pistoleros if Advanced, or Musket Masters. You can reload as fast as pistols, and get Rapid Reload for free. So using Alchemical Cartridges (Metal if Advanced), you can reload as free actions, and a lenient DM will allow you to reload those free actions after each AoO. If not, well, Pepperbox.

Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (Pick an appropriate Firearm). 3rd: Rapid Shot. 4th: Dodge. 5th: Mobility. 7th: Snap Shot. 8th: Deft Shootist Deed. 9th: Combat Reflexes. 11th comes with a choice of Signature Deed (Called shot), Signature Shot Pistol Whip, Improved Stand Still, or Improved Snap Shot.

9 is about the earliest you can do it, and even then, it's not the fanciest or the best at it. Then again, after 5th level (Dex to damage), you can go Fighter and have -more- feats. Reason I held off with Deft Shootist Deed is that Snap Shot's AoO does not provoke, and if you're in melee, you can just Pistol Whip for the free Prone status. Of course, more feats means more cheesiness, but I do love the idea of Shotgun Tanking.

I also like a Monk/Fighter hybrid for this as well, adding in Quick Draw for a Shuriken Tank, that one may provoke, but I say just go ahead and provoke if you're Monk/Fighter. You can figure out the rest of the feats on your own.

Please, by all means, share insight into the build. I know there's other variations, and I'm interested in any ranged tank roles. (Keep in mind, I do not like the Gun Tank Archetype, but that might just be me.) I'll confess this idea came about for a game in which a lot of feat taxes are streamlined, so this idea has more merit, but I still think it's viable for Fighters, at the very least. (Yes, I'm sure a Fighter with Amateur Gunslinger can make use of Gunslinger's build as well. If not better due to High Armor.)

PS: I seem to recall a feat that lets you make ranged attacks (But not reload) without provoking AoOs. I remember the pre-requisites being Weapon Focus, Dodge, Mobility, and I think a BAB of some number, but I can't find the feat. If anyone has an inkling what that feat is, by all means, lemme know.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-20, 03:09 PM
Well, if you want to be a "tank" in the real world sense of mobile artillery, just hop on a mount. You can move up to the mount's speed while making a ranged full attack (but not a melee full attack) without penalty. Even without any mounted feats and just the Ride skill, this is a massive increase to your maneuverability. It also lets you bounce in and out of cover while full attacking.

For such a build, I would personally go with a Ranger, selecting Ranged combat style with Improved Precise Shot at 6th level, and not selecting any mounted combat feats. Consider being a Goblin or Halfling and ride a Medium mount (Roc, Pony) so you can fit indoors.

MythrilShotgun
2013-05-20, 04:34 PM
The intent is to be the one amidst the battlefield, going for a very 'control' and 'tank' oriented role. The tank's job in this instance isn't to be mobile himself, but to immobilize anyone who tries to get past him, while still being able to dole out damage and utility when they're not on top of him. With Improved Snap Shot, it's a 15 ft. range, so they eventually have to move in a nice wide arc of a 35ft diameter area to get or provoke.

Or if your DM allows a bit of 3rd party pathfinder material. There's always Opportunity Shot from Kobold Press, removing the need of Snap Shot or Imp Snap Shot.