PDA

View Full Version : Component Based Magic System

Rorrik
2013-05-20, 05:27 PM
So I've been polishing away at this magic system for a while and could use some feedback.

Magic System (http://mindweaverpg.wordpress.com/the-magic-system/)

The goal is to let magic be a highly varied and inventive experience. I also try to encourage mages with themes by allowing the player to choose what styles, forms, elements, and such he can use to construct his spells. Spell casting also takes time, greatly reducing it's combat potential in exchange for the massive versatility.

Let me know what you think.

DMMike
2013-05-20, 06:31 PM
This looks like a very complex system. Which is great if you have players who want to spend hours customizing their casters. Me, I just want to know what spells I can cast, and how much damage they do.

A lot of this system can probably be applied to existing systems, since this covers HOW you cast a spell. Several existing systems don't discuss HOW, just WHAT you cast. So you could use existing simplicity by applying your system over the top of an existing one.

When I read the title, I was expecting to find out how different plants, animal parts, and metals create different spells. Any plans for that?

Rorrik
2013-05-21, 09:36 AM
The primary goal is to make the spells like every other part of a Table Top game. In other aspects the presence of a living GM means you can do anything the laws of (in-game) physics let him do. The goal of this is to give the same infinity of options to spell casting, allowing characters to look at the laws of magic and wield them as they wish. It is admittedly more complicated than a list of spells, but basic spell books will be available for beginners.

This system has a fun feel that could be fun to apply to existing systems, but the purpose is in the mechanics. The mechanic is to allow casters to define themselves by the parts of magic they know. I play a cleric of a fire goddess in our test campaign who is an effective caster with only fire, chaos and wind.

I don't see the point of material components. If I was looking to do a system that emphasized that I would use the existing D&D spell list and be anal about making sure you have the materials. You have to look for guano whenever you're in a cave if you want to cast fireball later, for example. No stores hardly sell any of it.