PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking gear

Totema
2013-05-20, 05:31 PM
Every time I make a new character above first level, it always takes me damn near forever to pick my gear loadout. I'm not sure if its simply lack of experience or knowledge of how classes should work, but can anyone offer any advice?

For example, in an upcoming adventure I'm controlling a fifth level Paladin (using Fax Celestis' awesome variant). So I gave him a +1 full plate and a +1 greatsword. No problem. But what else should I get for him? (That's just an example mind you, I have issues with this kind of thing all the time) Thanks in advance!

jderk
2013-05-20, 06:00 PM
What level are you starting your character at?

What class are you playing?

(DMG 259) Hewards Handy Haversac - 2,000 gp is a safe bet.
(MIC 71) Anklet of Translocation - 1,400 gp
(MIC 156) Daylight pellets at 150 gp each. I have found these to come in handy.
(MIC 110) Two Healing Belts at 750 gp each.
(MIC 73) Belt of Battle is good for most characters. 12,000 gp

Totema
2013-05-20, 06:11 PM
I mentioned that he's a 5th level paladin. But I didn't mention that he has a +1 LA (from his Aasimar racial template) so he's got 13k gold.

jderk
2013-05-20, 06:18 PM
Oh, sorry, thought that was just an example.

Totema
2013-05-20, 06:51 PM
It's a relevant example :smallsmile: Right, some cool utility items are always handy (can't believe I forgot the haversack, I usually get it every session anyway) Anything else?

eggynack
2013-05-20, 06:56 PM
Well, if you want items to put in the haversack, then might I suggest Shax's indispensable haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)? It's basically collection of some of the most efficient and versatile items in the game. It's where I usually go first if I want to fill out a character's wealth by level. You could even go all in, and buy one of the full item collections. If you want cool utility items, that's the place to go.

Svata
2013-05-20, 06:58 PM
Standard ability score increasing items, especially cloak of cha/ belt of giant strength for a paladin, are never a bad idea. +2 to whatever score you need a bit higher for 4000 gp? Good buy.

GreenETC
2013-05-20, 07:03 PM
A good place to start for any character outfitting is the Magic Item Compendium. Also take a look at Shax's Handy Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) and Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1002.0) for more utility items, but only take a few of them.

With that considered, I would say some things you'll want from the MIC are:
Healing Belt(s) - 750gp - Free daily healing is worth that price, Lay on Hands down.
Anklet of Translocation - 1400gp - Teleportation is good, and saves lives.
Circlet of Mages - 5000gp - When you have 1 spell a day, it helps to recycle.
Requisite +2 Stat Item - 4000gp - Paladins, even revamped, are MAD.
Phylactery of Faithfulness - 1000gp - Cause nobody wants to be a Blackguard.
Lesser Weapon/Armor Crystals - Restful is good if your DM likes to attack at night, but Iron Ward/Return/Arrow Deflection are all good for the prices.

You don't need all of these, but pick some and try to work with it. Also, don't forget to grab rope/poles/etc. and some useful potions/scrolls of spells you might not need every day, at least until you get to having enough spell slots to waste on utilities or on Restorations.

mattie_p
2013-05-20, 07:03 PM
I have found a really good way to get a balanced load of items is the use the suggested tables in MIC. You know, get 2 6th level items, 2 5th, etc.

Just breezing through that gives me an idea of what is out there that I can afford. Then I generally combine items using the MIC rules again to save space/flesh it out.

If you really need to adhere to the 13k limit exactly, do the same, but write down gp value with the items and do the math.

Totema
2013-05-20, 08:31 PM
Is that the table for equipping NPCs way in the back?

mattie_p
2013-05-20, 08:39 PM
Is that the table for equipping NPCs way in the back?

Equipping a PC is explained on p228, NPCs are on page 227, item listings (by level) start on page 269.

Totema
2013-05-20, 08:50 PM
Wow, that makes things pretty straightforward. Plus the lists of utility items are also great! Thanks everyone!