PDA

View Full Version : Obese NPC - Illithid/Ulitharid.

gurgleflep
2013-05-20, 06:17 PM
Off the bat: FallingSnow, get outta here! This is campaign stuff y'don't need to know until it happens!

Is she gone yet? Yes? Okay, let me start then...

Hello everybody! I've got an idea for an NPC - an extremely obese illithid or Ulitharid/Illithid named (I'm not creative) Squidly!

I'm wanting him to be non-combative but still quite threatening. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db5rRtOExbA) He's not part of an Illithid city, he resides on the surface in a highly populated town.

I've gotten it's food provider/servant made and stated out, but other than that... not really much of anything!

These are the main questions I've got:
How's it going to get around when it absolutely needs to?
What would its servants be?
What powers and such would he have?

Any and all suggestions would be very helpful, thank you all! :smallbiggrin: Also, if you have any questions that would help you out, just ask :smallsmile:

Callin
2013-05-20, 06:19 PM
Spell to Power Erudite. His slaves capture casters and bring them to him while he sucks out their spell knowledge then devours their brains.

gurgleflep
2013-05-20, 06:40 PM
Spell to Power Erudite. His slaves capture casters and bring them to him while he sucks out their spell knowledge then devours their brains.

I've got no clue what "Spell to Power Erudite" is :smallfrown:
Any idea as to what its slaves would be?

gurgleflep
2013-05-21, 12:25 AM
I've been thinking about it for a few hours now and I'm wondering something: what spell is it that creates a floating disc? In the Drizzt series, the matron mothers used it and I don't know anything about it. I could use that for fat-squids transportation.

TuggyNE
2013-05-21, 01:35 AM
I've been thinking about it for a few hours now and I'm wondering something: what spell is it that creates a floating disc? In the Drizzt series, the matron mothers used it and I don't know anything about it. I could use that for fat-squids transportation.

Tenser's floating disk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm). Make sure the CL is high enough, but 8 or 10 or whatever should be fine.

gurgleflep
2013-05-21, 01:43 AM
Tenser's floating disk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm). Make sure the CL is high enough, but 8 or 10 or whatever should be fine.

Thank you :smallsmile: This is very helpful and exactly what I was looking for!

Waker
2013-05-21, 01:44 AM

Tenser's Floating Disk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm)

As for powers and all that, that is somewhat dependent on the role the NPC is meant to play. Is he a contact/employer/enemy of the party? What kind of stuff would you like him to be able to do?

Also for reasons unknown, when I started thinking about a really big illthid, for some reason this (https://www.google.com/search?q=ultros+final+fantasy&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.dmQ&biw=1280&bih=929&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=mxebUfH7Hai20QGevoGoDg) popped into my head.

gurgleflep
2013-05-21, 02:03 AM
Tenser's Floating Disk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm)

As for powers and all that, that is somewhat dependent on the role the NPC is meant to play. Is he a contact/employer/enemy of the party? What kind of stuff would you like him to be able to do?

Also for reasons unknown, when I started thinking about a really big illthid, for some reason this (https://www.google.com/search?q=ultros+final+fantasy&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.dmQ&biw=1280&bih=929&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=mxebUfH7Hai20QGevoGoDg) popped into my head.

You were ninja'd by tuggyne on the floating disc part :smalltongue:

He's going to be an under-boss to a major crime ring, similar to the mafia. They likely won't be getting into battle with him, but I'm thinking something where he doesn't really have to move a lot so psionics or magic, mostly mind control, charms, and illusions.

I wish I knew more about Final Fantasy, I have no clue what that is :smallfrown:

Waker
2013-05-21, 02:35 AM
You were ninja'd by tuggyne on the floating disc part :smalltongue:
Yeah, I was looking up the stats on ultraliths and then digging up the pictures for Ultros.

He's going to be an under-boss to a major crime ring, similar to the mafia. They likely won't be getting into battle with him, but I'm thinking something where he doesn't really have to move a lot so psionics or magic, mostly mind control, charms, and illusions.
Well, both types of illithids have Psion conversions in LoM, with Telepath being the specialty. Going Illusionist/Enchanter Wizard or Beguiler would certainly be acceptable as well. I'm rather surprised no one has mentioned Mindsight yet.

I wish I knew more about Final Fantasy, I have no clue what that is :smallfrown:
He's a recurring villain in the game who frequently makes bad jokes and resorts to goofy schemes. I only mention him because his name reminds me a bit of the ultralith and he is very silly/odd. If you were bored, you could read about him here (
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ultros)

gurgleflep
2013-05-21, 02:40 AM
Yeah, I was looking up the stats on ultraliths and then digging up the pictures for Ultros.

Well, both types of illithids have Psion conversions in LoM, with Telepath being the specialty. Going Illusionist/Enchanter Wizard or Beguiler would certainly be acceptable as well. I'm rather surprised no one has mentioned Mindsight yet.

He's a recurring villain in the game who frequently makes bad jokes and resorts to goofy schemes. I only mention him because his name reminds me a bit of the ultralith and he is very silly/odd. If you were bored, you could read about him here (
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ultros)

I like the idea of beguiler and wizard, but what's "Mindsight?"

I read a little bit of it and the first thing I read to make me laugh was "Uwee hee hee! What have we here? I'm warning you, I'm armed... Eight-armed, that is! Uwee hee hee!"

TuggyNE
2013-05-21, 02:48 AM
I like the idea of beguiler and wizard, but what's "Mindsight?"

Feat in Lords of Madness (I think) to give auto-detection of the precise location of all thinking minds within range of your telepathy. No particular immunity possible except having Int -, or (depending on interpretation/houserules) breaking line of effect.

Waker
2013-05-21, 02:53 AM
Mindsight is a feat that says you can detect the presence of others using your telepathy. It functions in many ways like Blindsight, except you don't need line of sight, rather its range it determined by your telepathy range. It's in LoM and is frequently thrown onto any build that somehow gets telepathy (the Mindbender PrC being the most common.) If you used this, the Illthid would be tremendously difficult to sneak up on, since there are very few ways to block telepathy. Further mucking up the issue is that many people say that it isn't explicitly a telepathy effect, blah blah blah. I digress however.

Psion (Telepath), Wizard (Enchanter or Illusionist) or Beguiler can all make for a decent npc. A bit of a late thought, but Bard would also be acceptable since Mindflayers have nice Charisma as well. If you want him to be more of a skilled npc, I'd suggest the latter two classes. If power is more to your liking, the former two work better. In any situation, there are numerous acfs, prcs and feats that can add to it once you decide what class you'd like to use.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-21, 11:45 AM
I am going to go out on a limb.

I recommend a Psion egoist. Specificly the ACF that gives you the changeling like shapshifting ability.

That big fat Illithid you are hunting? Yeah, he went out the back into the crowded street. What do you mean nobody saw a fat illithid running down the street in broad daylight!

Then mix in Willing Deformity and Willing Deformity Obese.

Then you have a nicely powerful psion who can bend into any crowd when pressed. It will keep the party from killing him or foiling him right away.

Urpriest
2013-05-21, 03:32 PM
Unless you're going for a Theurge-type, you really want this guy to be a Telepath.

A Mind Flayer is CR 8 and has 8 HD. The Psionic version manifests as a Telepath 9, so if you pick up levels in Psion(Telepath) they will stack.

Let's do a CR comparison:

For CR 10 you can have either a Mind Flayer Telepath 2 with Psion 11 manifesting, or a Mind Flayer Sorceror 4 (since Sorceror is non-associated) with Sorceror 4 casting. The Sorceror is pretty clearly not worthwhile.

At CR 12 you can have Psion 13 manifesting, or Sorceror 8 casting. At this point, you have as many Sorceor levels as RHD, so any more levels will be associated. Thus, your Sorceror casting will always be 4 levels behind CR, or 5 behind potential Psion manifesting. The same applies if you went for another casting or manifesting class that wouldn't stack.

By the way, if you're looking for a quick escape route for this guy, be aware that both Psionic and nonpsionic Mind Flayers get Plane Shift.

gurgleflep
2013-05-21, 09:48 PM
I am going to go out on a limb.

I recommend a Psion egoist. Specificly the ACF that gives you the changeling like shapshifting ability.

That big fat Illithid you are hunting? Yeah, he went out the back into the crowded street. What do you mean nobody saw a fat illithid running down the street in broad daylight!

Then mix in Willing Deformity and Willing Deformity Obese.

Then you have a nicely powerful psion who can bend into any crowd when pressed. It will keep the party from killing him or foiling him right away.

Both of those willing deformity's are in the Vile Darkness IIRC. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Unless you're going for a Theurge-type, you really want this guy to be a Telepath.

A Mind Flayer is CR 8 and has 8 HD. The Psionic version manifests as a Telepath 9, so if you pick up levels in Psion(Telepath) they will stack.

Let's do a CR comparison:

For CR 10 you can have either a Mind Flayer Telepath 2 with Psion 11 manifesting, or a Mind Flayer Sorceror 4 (since Sorceror is non-associated) with Sorceror 4 casting. The Sorceror is pretty clearly not worthwhile.

At CR 12 you can have Psion 13 manifesting, or Sorceror 8 casting. At this point, you have as many Sorceor levels as RHD, so any more levels will be associated. Thus, your Sorceror casting will always be 4 levels behind CR, or 5 behind potential Psion manifesting. The same applies if you went for another casting or manifesting class that wouldn't stack.

By the way, if you're looking for a quick escape route for this guy, be aware that both Psionic and nonpsionic Mind Flayers get Plane Shift.

Plane shift and telepath sound good and so does the class stuff but what's a theurge?

Urpriest
2013-05-21, 10:04 PM
Both of those willing deformity's are in the Vile Darkness IIRC. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Plane shift and telepath sound good and so does the class stuff but what's a theurge?

Theurge, like Mystic Theurge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/mysticTheurge.htm) but for other classes. For example, there's a Psionic/Casting "Theurge" here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/cerebremancer.htm), and others in other places. So you could do something that mixed Telepath with Wizard, for example. But you're probably better off just adding more Telepath.

If you're going for CR 12+, you might as well go for an Ulitharid, since it's pretty much a straight-up upgrade and would make obesity that much more terrifying since it's a Large creature. A really big tentacled bulk.

Waker
2013-05-21, 10:05 PM
A theurge is a PrC that progresses two types of magic or abilities. Mystic Theurge for instance progresses arcane and divine magic. For psionics I think its the Cerebmancer or something to that effect. Since the illithid inherently has Psion casting, you could progress Telepath manifesting and wizard/beguiler/whatever casting at the same time.

gurgleflep
2013-05-21, 10:10 PM
*snip*

If you're going for CR 12+, you might as well go for an Ulitharid, since it's pretty much a straight-up upgrade and would make obesity that much more terrifying since it's a Large creature. A really big tentacled bulk.

Would I have to do anything to the Ulitharid class-wise or could I just send it as is with the fatness and such?

Waker
2013-05-21, 10:12 PM
Would I have to do anything to the Ulitharid class-wise or could I just send it as is with the fatness and such?

Not really, it's a CR12 npc as it is, so all you would need to do was change any feats, skills and equipment to your liking.

gurgleflep
2013-05-21, 10:13 PM
Not really, it's a CR12 npc as it is, so all you would need to do was change any feats, skills and equipment to your liking.

Sounds simple enough :smallsmile: Thank ya'll for the help! :smallbiggrin: