PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for an NPC build

JackRackham
2013-05-20, 11:51 PM
I'm looking for build suggestions for an NPC I'm making, between levels 12-14. His ability scores, after racial adjustments and level-based attribute increases are:

STR: 14
DEX: 16
CON: 14
INT: 11
WIS: 18
CHA: 16

Now, I could obviously put together a monster of a Cleric with those stats, but I'd prefer something else. I'm kind of wavering between a melee fighter with some leadership abilities (maybe Warblade, Swordsage and a dip in Marshal), a Gish, or just giving in and making the Cleric his stats are begging to become. I definitely want him to be more than a one-trick pony. The more versatile he can be in combat, and still be effective, the better. If he would also be effective leading a battle, better still.

The guy is one of two dozen princes vying for the throne of this small empire in a campaign world I'm building. He'll be non-evil, kind of the 'golden boy' of the princes, the front runner for succession. He's very popular, well liked by common people, and known as a great warrior.

The setting will combine Sumerian and ancient Egyptian elements with elements from the Sith as depicted in the KOTOR and TOR games. Succession is determined by election from amongst the princes; since the ruler has no surviving sons or brothers, it comes down to his grandsons.

Waker
2013-05-21, 12:14 AM
Well, you could go with something slightly odd. Go Divine Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard) to get a few new spells and lose the arcane spell failure and then mix it up with some Crusader or Warblade using Song of the White Raven. Divine Bard/Crusader would be especially amusing since you would be very similar to a Paladin. With that, you would have good combat ability, the ability to buff a large group, decent skills and a handful of utility magic. Certain feats like Clarion Commander and the Bardic music feats can buff you up further. Healing Hymn is a handy ACF to consider.

JackRackham
2013-05-21, 12:29 AM
Yeah, that's not really what I'm looking for. The whole reason Cleric doesn't do it for me in this case is that I can't picture him as a divine caster. But he's also supposed to be a badass warrior, so I can't picture him as a bard, either.

Waker
2013-05-21, 01:05 AM
Yeah, that's not really what I'm looking for. The whole reason Cleric doesn't do it for me in this case is that I can't picture him as a divine caster. But he's also supposed to be a badass warrior, so I can't picture him as a bard, either.

Ok, no go on Divine casting. Between medium BAB, a decent selection of weapon proficiencies, excellent buffing abilities (not to mention that they can buff others), Bards can make fine warriors. Try not to think of Bards as being like Elan, they can be extremely competent fighters and one of the best Leader-type classes in D&D. Also I said mix it with Crusader or Warblade, which adds to your combat options a bit.

Your stats are going to lead to people suggesting the same classes: Cleric, Druid, Swordsage or maybe Monk if they are crazy. Can I ask, what is your race anyways?

JackRackham
2013-05-21, 01:58 AM
Ok, no go on Divine casting. Between medium BAB, a decent selection of weapon proficiencies, excellent buffing abilities (not to mention that they can buff others), Bards can make fine warriors. Try not to think of Bards as being like Elan, they can be extremely competent fighters and one of the best Leader-type classes in D&D. Also I said mix it with Crusader or Warblade, which adds to your combat options a bit.

Your stats are going to lead to people suggesting the same classes: Cleric, Druid, Swordsage or maybe Monk if they are crazy. Can I ask, what is your race anyways?

The race is under construction, really. It will be specific to the campaign setting. But there are two variations, balanced to PF races (this is not a PF campaign, but all races except human will be modded along PF lines). This character's subrace gets +2 WIS, +2 CON, -2 STR. The other gets +2 INT, +2 DEX, -2 CON.

But, anyway, if I go Gish with the character, I want him to have +9 BAB by level 12 and +11 BAB by 14 and *actual* 8th level spells (full list) that are useful in combat. More than that, if I go Gish, I want abilities I can't otherwise get with a straight melee or straight caster - like the ability to channel spells through my sword, or a swiftblade's haste-related abilities, or an abjurant champion's extra awesome abjurations.

Otherwise, the option of whether to be a crappy fighter, or a crappy mage this round doesn't seem worth it. And for this particular set of NPCs, they ARE making decisions based on a reasonable understanding of what's effective.

Waker
2013-05-21, 02:24 AM
Well, with those stats and the insistence of staying away from Divine Magic, you could go with the standard Sorcadin build or mix Sorcerer with Crusader or Warblade into JPM to be a decent gish. Either is a decent option better explained by others. Don't forget to put at least two of your ability points from leveling into Charisma to get access to 8ths.