PDA

View Full Version : AD&D Barbarian

Arpegius
2013-05-21, 01:54 AM
well im starting to play a barbarian and i cant find the manuals i need to know how rage works, i usually play pathfinder but this is really different so if sum1 could explain it to me or tell me where can i download the manual

im not sure its 2e or not but i think it is because we are using gac0

Rhynn
2013-05-21, 02:13 AM
tell me where can i download the manual

That would be copyright infringement. Doing that would be a violation of the forum rules.

im not sure its 2e or not but i think it is because we are using gac0

What is "gac0" ? How do you not know if it's 1E or 2E? Which PHB are you using? Does the cover have the ugly statue with the gem eyes and the adventurers, or the wizard fighting off gargoyles/demons, or dudes on horses, or the barbarian busting down a door?

1E barbarians are in Unearthed Arcana, 2E barbarians are in The Complete Barbarian's Handbook.

well im starting to play a barbarian and i cant find the manuals i need to know how rage works

Neither 1E nor 2E barbarians have a rage ability.

BWR
2013-05-21, 03:34 AM
IIRC, 'gac0' is what they call THAC0 in Spanish.
EDit: there is also a Barbarian kit in the Complete Fighter's Handbook for 2E.

SiuiS
2013-05-21, 04:00 AM
Barbarian gets a lot of non-rage stuff. Your powers are always on. The bonuses you want are the first aid and medicinal stuff, the ability to heal without magic, and the ability to cure poison. When poison is "you didn't check for traps, you die" then it's good to stop it.

Rhynn
2013-05-21, 05:58 AM
the ability to hormones tees without magic

:smalleek: Autocorrect again?

SiuiS
2013-05-21, 07:30 AM
:smalleek: Autocorrect again?

Dagda, how did that slip by me? I blame hte hour and that those are both legitimate (if nonsensical) words. Okay. BRB.

Barbarian gets a lot of non-rage stuff. Your powers are always on. The bonuses you want are the first aid and medicinal stuff, the ability to heal without magic, and the ability to cure poison. When poison is "you didn't check for traps, you die" then it's good to stop it.

Only some nefarious trickster spirit could explain to me how that happened. Or, well, i could too but it doesn't matter how or why, only that i stop it.

Lord Torath
2013-05-21, 07:31 AM
That would be copyright infringement. Doing that would be a violation of the forum rules.He may have thought it was SRD, in which case it wouldn't have been illegal.

There are a couple of options here. There's a Barbarian Kit in the Complete Fighter's Handbook (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Fighter%27s_Handbook). There's a Complete Barbarian's Handbook (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Barbarians-Handbook-Players-Supplement/dp/0786900903) (I'm not affiliated with that site). And there may be a Barbarian class in Unearthed Arcana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unearthed_Arcana).

Which one you need depends on whether you're playing 1st or 2nd Edition AD&D. Unearthed Arcana is 1st Edition. The other two are 2nd. If you can't get any of those, then your barbarian-ness will be entirely through roleplaying. (Which tends to be typical of those versions.)

Greylond
2013-05-21, 11:05 AM
And there may be a Barbarian class in Unearthed Arcana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unearthed_Arcana).

There definitely is a Barbarian in Unearthed Arcana. It's an abomination of a class that is barely reigned in by the RP Restrictions. I've seen them played very well and I've seen people abuse the heck out of that class due to a weak GM who doesn't enforce the rather harsh restrictions. :)

Rhynn
2013-05-21, 11:19 AM
There definitely is a Barbarian in Unearthed Arcana. It's an abomination of a class that is barely reigned in by the RP Restrictions. I've seen them played very well and I've seen people abuse the heck out of that class due to a weak GM who doesn't enforce the rather harsh restrictions. :)

The restrictions are incredibly harsh. They can't associate with clerics until 2nd level - sorry, can't have a 1st-level barbarian in a party with a cleric! Magic-users only come at 6th level! This just rules barbarians out of campaigns that don't start at high levels. (Or have really unusual party composition.)

ArcaneGlyph
2013-05-21, 01:49 PM
You may be thinking of the Berzerker class or a Battle Rager which was in 2nd edition.

Greylond
2013-05-22, 12:32 PM
The restrictions are incredibly harsh. They can't associate with clerics until 2nd level - sorry, can't have a 1st-level barbarian in a party with a cleric! Magic-users only come at 6th level! This just rules barbarians out of campaigns that don't start at high levels. (Or have really unusual party composition.)

Well, actually I played a Barbarian and it was fun. What it really does is rule the Barbarian out of parties with a Magic-User until High Levels. The cleric thing can be gotten past with some good RP.

My Barbarian was one of the characters in 1st Edition that I had the most fun with. He started out adventuring with a Paladin and we didn't get another party member until later. Didn't hang out with Mages for a long time. He was hilarious. He was smart but uneducated and I had a lot of fun with that.

Studoku
2013-05-25, 06:08 AM
Is this the barbarian class that gains xp for breaking magic items?

SiuiS
2013-05-25, 06:41 AM
Yes. Yes it is. Good fun, that class.

Greylond
2013-05-25, 08:31 AM
Kenzer&Co did a version of that class for HackMaster 4th Edition. Friend of mine is playing one in my current HM4 game. He's just come to realize that one of the other party members is actually a magic-user type character. Interparty Fun should ensue next time we play!...