PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Rose Knight

Rethmar
2013-05-21, 06:46 AM
Hi all.

I'm creating a character right now who doesn't actually use the class, but is going for the idea of the Ruby Rose Knight. The RRK is a paladin of Sune Firehair, the goddess of passion and beauty in the forgotten realms.

I'm going to be using Lesser Aasimar, with perhaps the idea that he's distantly related to Sune herself.

So he's going to be cocky, narcissistic, just an all around high ego. Very much in love with himself, but he wants others to love him too. But with the actual charisma to back it up most of the time, at least. So he's going to sell himself as the Ruby Rose Knight, wearing rose red plate armor and a sword with a rose-shape pommel.

So I've got the fluff down mostly, but the build is something I think could be better. Combat wise, I think I'd go for buffing/commanding. Something like bard music + White Raven stuff from the Tome of Battle.

So maybe some bard levels and some crusader levels. He'll for sure have a 20 or higher Cha, so I wanted Divine Grace from paladin levels to give him a giant buff on saves, but I'm not sure the 2 levels of pally are worth it.

Maybe Marshal instead of bard? Hmm. Any advice you guys might have on the build would be much appreciatd. Thanks.

Eslin
2013-05-21, 06:51 AM
If you do feel like going the paladin route, it's kind of doable - there are substitution levels to give yourself bardic music and with mystic fire knight and other useful power boosters could make straight paladin worth it. Alternately, take a level of cleric, two of prestige paladin and eventually head into ruby knight vindicator (http://dndtools.eu/classes/ruby-knight-vindicator/) - same stuff as two levels of paladin would get you and a lot more.

Nymrod
2013-05-21, 08:17 AM
There are also Class Substitution levels for Ruby Rose Knights in CoV

Talya
2013-05-21, 09:00 AM

The immunity to Charisma damage/drain is really nice.

Alternately, take a level of cleric, two of prestige paladin and eventually head into ruby knight vindicator - same stuff as two levels of paladin would get you and a lot more.

Now we're talking. Also use devoted performer with prestige paladin and bard to get some bardic music fun... Snowflake Wardance, Divine Might, Divine Shield, and a charisma through the roof will make you a melee nightmare.

Speaking as someone who has played a variety of Sunites, this is a wonderful idea.

(Also, if allowed, Leadership to grab a Sorceress/Heartwarder companion. Technically against RAW - a lawful character can't have a chaotic cohort, but most DMs will see a paladin of Sune and a cohort Sunite high priestess as obvious exceptions to the rule. The Ruby Rose Knight is already an explicit exception to the one-step rule.)

graymachine
2013-05-21, 09:19 AM
Paladin of Freedom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm) could be used to replace any Paladin levels you have in your build; I expect a reasonable DM would allow ACFs for Paladin to apply to PoF as long as they make sense, such as the bardic ones.

Rethmar
2013-05-21, 07:54 PM
If you do feel like going the paladin route, it's kind of doable - there are substitution levels to give yourself bardic music and with mystic fire knight and other useful power boosters could make straight paladin worth it.

Just found the Harmonious Knight acf in the web enhancement for CoV. Thanks for the heads up.

Mhm, that was where I drew my inspiration from.

Alternately, take a level of cleric, two of prestige paladin and eventually head into ruby knight vindicator - same stuff as two levels of paladin would get you and a lot more.

Prestige Paladin requires Mounted Combat and a +4 BAB to enter. I guess I would have to go Cleric 1/Crusader 4/ PP X? or cleric 2/crusader 3. Eh.

Gildedragon
2013-05-21, 08:04 PM
Is it terrible that my first thought at "ruby rose" was Ruby Rodd from the 5th element...
Either that or a palette swapped Loras.
Either way he needs to have an aura of swooning somehow

Rethmar
2013-05-21, 08:07 PM
Can't argue with the aura of swooning. I'd go for that.

Loras can go away, however. Lol.

Saintheart
2013-05-21, 08:24 PM
Is it terrible that my first thought at "ruby rose" was Ruby Rodd from the 5th element...
Either that or a palette swapped Loras.
Either way he needs to have an aura of swooning somehow

Well, Ruby Rodd does have levels in Perform (Comedy), so he might be a Bard.

It's Corben Dallas who's the Paladin of Slaughter.