PDA

View Full Version : help with party

Somensjev
2013-05-21, 07:03 AM
ok, i've got no idea if this party is average or not

i've got; a human cleric who worships himself, an elven ranger who also worships himself, two half-elf sorcerers who decided they're twins, and a human fighter

now, i know that CR is rated for a party of four, but i was wondering how it would change (if at all) for a party of five?

as you can probably guess my players are an eccentric lot, especially when my ranger bought a donkey, a cart, and 320 arrows...

prufock
2013-05-21, 07:48 AM
You've got divine casting, arcane casting, tanks, and ranged combat. Depending on spell, domain, and skill selection, you may or may not have the skill monkey role covered. Pretty standard team, assuming your sorcerers are not redundant or teaming up in some unusual way.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-21, 07:53 AM
They lack a skill monkey, but meh, don't throw traps at them. They should be fine fighting CR+1 with five characters. I would encourage adding a multiple threats rather than one powerful target (5 characters can burst damage better than 4, single targets can tend to go down quickly)

Rhynn
2013-05-21, 08:02 AM
They should be fine fighting CR+1 with five characters.

To be clear, I think Fouredged Sword means EL X+1 (X = average level of party; EL = Encounter Level, calculated on a table in the DMG).

Generally, encounters can be expected to range from EL X-4 to EL X+5. Usually, X or X+1 is "average," X+2 or +3 is "hard," and X+4 or +5 is a tough, maybe-once-in-an-adventure encounter. The DMG is full of advice on how to calibrate this stuff, which works well enough in most cases. (It's not accurate, just like CRs aren't, but it's close enough to serve as a base guideline for a DM.)

With a party of 5 instead of 4, just go with a bit more of the higher-EL encounters - not by much.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-21, 09:38 AM
My intention was to communicate that you take whatever CR you would normally use, and add one. The preference would be to add lower level mooks to the encounter rather than improve the big hitter.

Sylthia
2013-05-21, 01:00 PM
Start with CR=APL and see how the party handles it. Likely it will be easy and you can move to CR=APL+1 or +2. I'd stay away from CR=APL+4 or +5 unless you want to wipe your party or they have lots of time to plan for it.

Menzath
2013-05-21, 02:21 PM
lol I think your archer does not have enough arrows... seriously.

I think ours started the game with about the same amount and always refilled to said amount, well one dungeon he ran out before the second to last boss. we were on a time limit, and no one had spells to help him with getting more arrows. This includes him recovering 50% of all missed arrows.
So he pulled out his sword and was a sub-par fighter during a really important fight.

Lesson : MOAR AIR-OWS

but yeah others posted the math for figuring out what the equivalent CR is a what size parties, think that is also somewhere in the DM guide.

Also without knowing specifics, like what your party members entire builds are it is a little hard to say how much help you may or may not need.

Just from class setup you look to be about covered so long as your sorcerers don't double up on spells to often.

Edit: My spellings are the bad.

RogueDM
2013-05-21, 04:49 PM
They worship themselves? Can you... Who would... Spells... Divine... Ideals... Narcissism? Words!

::Mind Blown::

Somensjev
2013-05-21, 11:34 PM
They worship themselves? Can you... Who would... Spells... Divine... Ideals... Narcissism? Words!

::Mind Blown::

i posted another thing on the cleric worshipping himself

and the two of them are going to try and convert the rest of the party, and any NPC that doesnt want to kill them (a list that i believe will quickly decrease in members...)

Sylthia
2013-05-21, 11:41 PM
i posted another thing on the cleric worshipping himself

and the two of them are going to try and convert the rest of the party, and any NPC that doesnt want to kill them (a list that i believe will quickly decrease in members...)

I played a CN Cleric who worshiped himself. You're allowed to worship a cause, so you don't technically need a deity.

Somensjev
2013-05-22, 12:38 AM
I played a CN Cleric who worshiped himself. You're allowed to worship a cause, so you don't technically need a deity.

please go to the other post, i've got no idea what domains to give him ><