PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Etiquette?

Beandip
2013-05-21, 12:24 PM
I am asking what is proper etiquette when two Paladins of the same order meet one another for the first time?

Specifically, I am playing Rise of the Runelords and a second level Paladin of Abadar will meet with a "retired" Paladin of Abadar who is 65 yrs old and runs the Two Knight Brewery (his pally brother died a few years before present day). I am trying to picture the greeting.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-21, 12:35 PM
If the non-retired paladin is obviously a paladin

Retired Paladin
"Well met brother! It is good to see a fellow servant of Abadar. I am please his roads lead you to my door. Come, sit, trade a story or two of your travels. I can swing a discount on ale for such as you."

Adabar is fairly laid back. He is pretty much cool with whatever. There is likely to be no formal tradition for two people bumping into one another, but trading trinkets and stories seems appropriate to symbolize the inter-conceitedness of the world through Adabar.

Mirakk
2013-05-21, 12:46 PM
Paladins don't retire. They die valiantly in battle sooner or later as they age. I'm surprised this isn't written anywhere ;)

I'd say the other Paladin berates him for turning his back on his sacred duty!

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-21, 12:54 PM
This is Adabar. Trade and civilization ARE the sacred duty. Brewing is a cornerstone to both. I say brewing is a definite way to get out of the monster slaying business for a Paladin of Adabar.

Snowbluff
2013-05-21, 01:13 PM
"Paladin."
"Paladin." (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoctorDoctorDoctor)

nedz
2013-05-21, 02:46 PM
Paladins don't retire. They die valiantly in battle fall and become Blackguards due to a no win moral dilemma lousy DM sooner or later as they age. I'm surprised this isn't written anywhere ;)

I'd say the other Paladin berates attacks him for turning his back on his sacred duty!

FTFY (Fixed that for you)

Crasical
2013-05-21, 02:58 PM
If the non-retired paladin is obviously a paladin

Retired Paladin
"Well met brother! It is good to see a fellow servant of Abadar. I am please his roads lead you to my door. Come, sit, trade a story or two of your travels. I can swing a discount on ale for such as you."

Adabar is fairly laid back. He is pretty much cool with whatever. There is likely to be no formal tradition for two people bumping into one another, but trading trinkets and stories seems appropriate to symbolize the inter-conceitedness of the world through Adabar.

Really? A follower of Abadar, offering a discount? :smallbiggrin:

Clistenes
2013-05-21, 03:41 PM
You would think that old paladins would turn to more religious activities, like being chaplains, preachers or parish priests (if their religion allows paladins to be priests). They could even multiclass as clerics.

Another option would be to become instructors for the young recruits of their order.

I guess a paladin who follows a philosophy revering Law and Good as spiritual forces or who worships several different gods without favouring a single one would be more likely to retire as a private citizen.

Maginomicon
2013-05-21, 04:35 PM
You could fluff it as similar to what happens when a Ki Warlord interacts with another Kensai of the same alignment:

Ki Warlord: When a kensai attains 10th level, he gains great notoriety and becomes known as a ki warlord. Other kensai of the same alignment revere the ki warlord, and even those of differing alignments treat him with some measure of respect. If the ki warlord has an NPC master, this master likely assigns the ki warlord more responsibility and authority within his domain (perhaps giving him a castle, monastery, or military school). If the ki warlord serves a deity, that deity may take a personal interest in giving the ki warlord more responsibility, perhaps actually contacting the ki warlord directly or through intermediaries and making the deity's wishes known.

In addition to this added responsibility, a ki warlord gains some tangible benefits. He has the right to petition other (lower-level) members of the prestige class for assistance on adventures or in the fulfillment of his oath. As long as a ki warlord's requests do not violate the other members' own oaths of service or alignment, lower-level kensai have a responsibility to assist a ki warlord in any reasonable manner — such as providing food and shelter, access to minor resources, and other things another character might have to barter for.

Ki warlords inspire those around them. When fighting within 30 feet of a ki warlord, allies gain a +1 morale bonus on Will saves, Concentration checks, and attack rolls. Lawful allies gain a +2 morale bonus on these checks.

Baroncognito
2013-05-21, 04:45 PM
It might seem out of place, but any time two Paladins meet each other they kick each other as hard as they can in the groin.

It's why most paladins wear cups, even the females.