PDA

View Full Version : The Dr Suess Pally : please rate my build idea

CyberThread
2013-05-21, 02:44 PM
Sooooo

Lets get brave!

Concept : Pally that loves to give speeches

Build: Harmonious knight (champions of valor web supplement ) 5 or 6 /1 or more war skald

Benefits : all the usual paliden stuff, be it the LG or CG variants - no evildar and one less remove diseases and you get perform as a class skill, in return you get inspire courage at level 1 and inspire competences as level 6, one use per level as rules done by a bard.

Warskald

Requirements

Concentration 6 ranks, perform 9 ranks

feats power attack and cleave

Benefits of a level one dip: Gain the bardic music abilities of , countersong, fascinate , inspire competence , inspire courage, inspire greatness, and suggestion , all become available to the subject when they meet the perform skill requirements as set by the bard class. .

Cons: Only stacks with bard levels instead of paliden levels.

Work around: Various items grant extra uses of bardic abilities, as does feats, take one level of bard after this, and use the feat initiate of milli or devoted performer, to count all your pally levels as bard levels for bard music per day use.

End Result: Pally Gives up two levels of being a pally , evildar, and gains ; bard music ability and a very unique pally . All while getting loads of extra songs to use as the harmonious knight ability counts separate as the bard ability.

Grade results: Leave your post below, and tell me what you think.

hamishspence
2013-05-21, 02:47 PM
This makes me wonder what such a paladin trying to redeem an evildoer, to the cadence of "Sam I Am" would sound like.

"Try it, Try it- then you'll see..."

EDIT: Or one based on Horton:

"I meant what I said and I said what I meant, a paladin's faithful, one hundred percent."

CyberThread
2013-05-21, 03:08 PM
One Orc

Two Orc

Red Orc

Dead Orc

gallagher
2013-05-21, 03:23 PM
Throw ninja stars, call them star-bellied sneetches, you must fight them on the beaches. Kill them for the cause and then get some applause, you can take back a trophy if you cut off their paws.

CyberThread
2013-05-21, 04:27 PM
any suggestions on the serious end of this ?

nedz
2013-05-21, 05:48 PM
Where do I find Warskald ?

Most people building Bardadins want to progress the bardic spells, however.

I looked at an idea of using Sword of the Arcane Order ( Champions of Valor, p34) but that is Wiz/Sorc focussed, so this doesn't work.

Fochlucan Lyrist (Complete Adventurer p47) might do the trick, but qualifying is hard ?

Prestige Bard (Unearthed Arcana p69) is close to what you want but has it's own music progression.

There are a number of further PrCs but they all assume your music is from the Bard class, which is not unreasonable though unhelpful.

Telonius
2013-05-21, 06:33 PM
Your weapon should be a Greatclub.

I learned there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead, others come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

TuggyNE
2013-05-21, 07:11 PM

Serious? In my Dr. Seuss? I think not!

CyberThread
2013-05-21, 08:47 PM
Where do I find Warskald ?

Most people building Bardadins want to progress the bardic spells, however.

There are a number of further PrCs but they all assume your music is from the Bard class, which is not unreasonable though unhelpful.

Warskald is from the races of faerun book (3.0) , that a level one dip, gets you all the bard songs. If you go deeper, you get some other bonusesf, and song choices, but nothing really that worth it, but this combo makes it very nice, with a devoted performer or initiate of milli ability , as you suddenly get two separate pools of bardic music, one being a basic inspire competence or +1 inspire , the other being all the usual bard stuff, on a pally chassis.

Serious? In my Dr. Seuss? I think not!

Deal with it punk :P

Slipperychicken
2013-05-21, 10:14 PM
You could do a lot with "Sam I Am" alone.

[referring to evil creatures or demons]

I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox...

[Being tempted into doing Evil]

Say!
In the dark?
Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?

Urpriest
2013-05-21, 10:52 PM
Warskald is from the races of faerun book (3.0) , that a level one dip, gets you all the bard songs. If you go deeper, you get some other bonusesf, and song choices, but nothing really that worth it, but this combo makes it very nice, with a devoted performer or initiate of milli ability , as you suddenly get two separate pools of bardic music, one being a basic inspire competence or +1 inspire , the other being all the usual bard stuff, on a pally chassis.

Remember, in 3.0 Bardic Music was based on perform ranks, not level. Warskald probably wouldn't work the same way as a 3.5 class.

CyberThread
2013-05-21, 11:45 PM
why remember, one of the points of optimization is finding loopholes and all that sort of stuff, the way this is worded still works in 3.5 and was not updated and what it is making available really is not all that broken.

TuggyNE
2013-05-22, 12:39 AM
why remember, one of the points of optimization is finding loopholes and all that sort of stuff, the way this is worded still works in 3.5 and was not updated and what it is making available really is not all that broken.

inb4 Curmudgeon: BUT THOU SHALT UPDATE THY 3.0 MATERIAL IN VARIOUS WAYS AS THY DM SHALT DECREE, AS THE UPDATE HANDBOOK HATH STATED.

:smallcool:

CyberThread
2013-05-22, 01:06 AM
AND THOU SHALL UPDATE SKALD TO CLEARLY WORK AS A FUNCTION THAT DOES NOT DEPEND ON LEVELS BUT RATHER SKILLS!!!

Besides, the only time we make such comments, is when we use it to avoid a book being thrown at us, no book is being thrown at us here. Now make a comment about the build and less about 3.0 to 3.5 from here on out please.

KillingAScarab
2013-05-22, 02:39 AM
any suggestions on the serious end of this ?Serious Seuss rhymes with militarism? The topic for that author was near-cataclysm. You want The Butter Battle Book (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qkqzdgL3wo), there can be no other. When you think of the Cold War you'll cry for your mother. Your mount shall be Daniel, the Kick-a-poo spaniel. If the tech went any further the game would be the worser. But it's getting late, I've alot on my plate so I'll leave this up to playground debate.

The_Snark
2013-05-22, 02:44 AM

If you wanted something serious, you probably should have given the build a different name. :smalltongue: But I'm glad you didn't.

CyberThread
2013-05-22, 09:22 AM
pish :P , if it gets to bad and distracted today, Ill repost later this week with a different name, once I clean up the build to go past level 8