PDA

View Full Version : Creating magic items with *per day*

Kazy
2013-05-21, 03:50 PM
I'm terrible creating items, can someone break it down for me?

I'm trying to create a mace that has greater Mighty wallop once a day; how much would it cost? How much would it cost with a single charge, 50 charges or a permanent toggle?

eggynack
2013-05-21, 04:08 PM
Lessee. Greater mighty wallop is a 3rd level spell, which gives it a minimum caster level of 5. It's use activated, so that's 15*. Then, it has , so you divide byof. Single use is 15*50, for a cost of.15*11250. By toggle, I'm assuming you mean either use activated or continuous, which is back to the 15*, which is. Basically, you just multiply the level of the spell, which is 3, by the minimum level at which you can cast it, which is 5, and then modify that by the guidelines.

Edit: If you want, I think you can also change the caster level of the thing. In this case, the next item break point is 8, so you'd just replace8, and24.

Just to Browse
2013-05-21, 06:17 PM
I assume you want a heavy mace, that's 12gp. I think it needs to be a +1 mace before we add anything, so that's 300gp to make it masterwork and 2,000 gp to enchant it: Current total is 2312gp.

Greater mighty wallop is a 3rd-level spell (minimum caster level 5) with a duration measured in hours.

Fifty Charges: If we gave the item fifty charges, adding magic would cost 750gp x spell level x caster level, or 750gp x (3) x (5) = 11250. Here we run into the wand problem, where you're only going to get 50 charges out of the thing and you'll end up having spent a big-ass chunk of gold on it. Plus it requires you to know the spell and activate it as a standard action.

Command Word: There are two ways of making an item's effect permanent--one is using a command word to activate the spell for its duration, and the other is to permanently enhance an item with the spell. They have variable costs, and command word is the cheapest. The cost of a command word item is 1800gp x spell level x caster level, or 1800gp x (3) x (5) = 27,000gp. That's a lot too.

Use-activated:The more expensive kind of permanent magic item is use-activated/continuous, in which the weapon just benefits from the spell whenever you attack with it. Because this doesn't require buffing before combat, it's even more expensive at 2000gp x spell level x caster level, or 2000gp x (3) x (5) = 30,000gp.

Charges per day: If you give the weapon charges per day it ends up a whole lot less expensive. Divide the cost by five and then multiply it by the number of charges you want to use. If we want one charge per day, we divide by five and multiply by one.

Use-Activated: The price drops to 6,000gp. More manageable, but now it only works on one attack.
Command-Word: This is where the goods are. The price drops to 5,400gp, and since greater mighty wallop lasts 5 hours you get a buff that lasts almost all day.

Now if things weren't complicated enough, we run into a few problems. First off, greater mighty wallop isn't much better than the normal mighty wallop at caster level 5--other than the increased duration, it doesn't actually improve your damage output by anything. If you just want a weapon one size bigger, you could make a Continuous weapon of mighty wallop at a cost of 2,000 x spell level x caster level x duration factor = 2,000gp x (1) x (1) x (2). The "duration factor" is something mentioned in the subtext of the magic item table:

If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

Since the regular mighty wallop has a duration in minutes, we multiply cost by x2. That means our total is only 4,000gp, which is better than everything above because it gets the same stuff done at a smaller price.

BUT WE'RE NOT DONE YET. Greater mighty wallop scales with caster level, and increases weapon size by 1 at level 4, 2 at level 8, and so on. If you want to have an all-day buff it needs to last 8 hours, which means you need to get a caster level 8 weapon of greater mighty wallop and cast it once per day. That's 1800gp x (3) x (8) x (1/5) = 8,640gp.

So those are all the different types of GMW enchantments you'll probably care to put on your flail. Remember that when you're done, you need to add all of that to the cost of the +1 flail itself.

So let's summarize:
{table]Type of Heavy Flail|Calculation|Cost (gp)|Yae or Nae
50 charges GMW|750x(3)x(5)|11,250|Nae
Command Word GMW|1800x(3)x(5)|27,000|Nae
1/day Command Word GMW|1800x(3)x(5)x(1/5)|5,400|Yae
Continuous GMW|2000x(3)x(5)|30,000|Nae
1/day Continuous GMW|2000x(3)x(5)x(1/5)|6,000|NAE NAE NAE
Continuous MW (not G!)|2000x(1)x(1)x(2)|4,000|Yae
1/day Command Word GMW at CL 8|1800x(3)x(8)x(1/5)|8,640|Yae[/table]

The best of those options are the three Yae's. The first gives you +1 size to your weapon for 5 hours, the second gives you +1 size to your weapon whenever you attack, and the third gives you +2 size to your weapon for 8 hours. Which one is best for you really depends on what character you're playing, how much money you've got to burn. Remember to add 2,312gp to the prices above before buying, and don't forget that the mace is already enhanced to +1!

SamBurke
2013-05-21, 06:24 PM
Three posts in, and a superb finishing blow already delivered by Just to Browse! That's it, folks! Round 1, and the thread is WON!

Seriously, that, my friend, was awesome.

Just to Browse
2013-05-21, 06:36 PM
Three posts in, and a superb finishing blow already delivered by Just to Browse! That's it, folks! Round 1, and the thread is WON!

Seriously, that, my friend, was awesome.

:smallredface:

Crake
2013-05-21, 06:55 PM
shouldn't the cost for the GMW enchantment be multiplied by 1.5 for multiple abilities on an item? If you take the energy resistance abilities of armor for example, they're 1.5x the cost of say, a ring of the same amount of resistance. So unless you plop this ability on a separate item (say, gloves? that seems an appropriate slot) that then affects a targeted weapon it should be 1.5x the cost?

Gavinfoxx
2013-05-21, 07:08 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aG4P3dU6WP3pq8mW9l1qztFeNfqQHyI22oJe09i8KWw/edit

Kazy
2013-05-21, 08:40 PM
I hope you're not married Just to browse. :smallwink:

But really thanks, it's cleared a lot for me.

PD: My bad, the mace was an executioner's mace.:smalltongue:

killem2
2013-05-21, 08:58 PM
So a +1 dwarven warpike of continous divine power = well over 168k? :D

Vaz
2013-05-21, 09:23 PM
Seems a little high by RAW.

2000*4*7 = 56K; assuming Character Level is the crafter's, all you need is 7 Caster Levels.

However, bear in mind that a Custom Enchant like that is akin to a Wraithstrike and Truestrike Enchantment as well for cheesyness; all combining for Touch Attacking with +40 to hit. Good for buffing on a Nova. Not, otherwise.