PDA

View Full Version : Arcanum : Steamwork and Magicka

Cikomyr
2013-05-21, 07:08 PM
This game is good. Such a great lore, it's amazing there hasn't been anything more in this verse made. No sequel (COME ON!!! FALLOUT3 ENGINE, WE NEED YOU!), no novels, NO NOTHING!

Oh well. I'll just replay the game a lot..

In my current playthrough playing a Magical Warrior Half-Orc ugly as sin, I have reached the point in melee development I can train in Melee Mastery..

... problem is, the Melee Master won't accept to talk to me! Is it because I need to do something more in term of story, or the 1 in beauty just outright prevents me from training?!

Mx.Silver
2013-05-21, 08:18 PM
This game is good. Such a great lore, it's amazing there hasn't been anything more in this verse made. No sequel (COME ON!!! FALLOUT3 ENGINE, WE NEED YOU!), no novels, NO NOTHING!

Given that Troika went under about 9 years ago, it's not that surprising we haven't seen anything more done with it. I know Tim Cain's at Obsidian now, but I don't know if they actually own the rights to Arcanum.

In any event, Arcanum's a bit of a schizophrenic game. Yes, the setting detail is good, and the gameworld is exemplary. On the other hand, the engine has serious problems (although I don't think it would benefit much from the Fallout 3 treatment), balance was nonexistent (if you chose tech over magic you were essentially playing on a harder difficulty) and its RPG mechanics appear to have been designed by someone who didn't realise they were making a single-player videogame (it doesn't even compare particularly well to videogames that use converted D&D rules).
While it's a world I'd definitely like to see more of (even if it does insist on spelling magic with a k), you'd essentially have to rebuild most of the mechanics from the ground-up, and find a new engine.

bobthe6th
2013-05-21, 08:48 PM
ok, I admit to having played this game mostly as a gunslinging gnome... several times. I have a hard time with the nolinear game play, and always hit impasses were I just don't know what to do.

I should try a playthrough as a pure magic focused elf... but the tech tree looked so interesting...

Dhavaer
2013-05-21, 09:38 PM
... problem is, the Melee Master won't accept to talk to me! Is it because I need to do something more in term of story, or the 1 in beauty just outright prevents me from training?!

He's a tremendous jackass and will need to like you a lot more to talk to you. Being a half-orc is not helpful there, and being terribly ugly only makes it worse. Beauty buffs all the way.

Anteros
2013-05-21, 09:45 PM
I've tried this game a few times. It always seems interesting, but I just can't get into it. I think it's the clunky UI and controls that eventually turn me off every time.

factotum
2013-05-22, 02:10 AM
Arcanum was a great game, although buggy as all heck on release--I remember playing through with a summoner-type character, only to find that the mana drain when using summoning spells was *much* higher than it should have been. I even reported that bug, and I think they fixed it in later versions.

I definitely agree they should do another game in the same world, but as mentioned already, it kind of depends who has the rights to that world now Troika are dead and buried this last decade!

Cikomyr
2013-05-22, 03:18 AM
Arcanum was a great game, although buggy as all heck on release--I remember playing through with a summoner-type character, only to find that the mana drain when using summoning spells was *much* higher than it should have been. I even reported that bug, and I think they fixed it in later versions.

I definitely agree they should do another game in the same world, but as mentioned already, it kind of depends who has the rights to that world now Troika are dead and buried this last decade!

Look, the rights must exist somewhere. Someone has to own them, and if we don't get a kickstarter going for the game, it'll just be a matter of time before EA puts its hands on it!!

Mx.Silver
2013-05-22, 04:47 AM
Look, the rights must exist somewhere. Someone has to own them, and if we don't get a kickstarter going for the game, it'll just be a matter of time before EA puts its hands on it!!

Someone has to own them, yes, but that doesn't mean whoever owns them is interested in making games. I mean, the game was published by Sierra who also no longer exist. There's a chance Activision still have the rights, but I wouldn't guarantee that (EA didn't get the System Shock 2 rights, which is why it's taken this long to get the game on GOG and the other direct download sites). Even if they do, I don't think any of the original designers work for Activision so if they did decide a sequel there's no telling how it might turn-out.

Cikomyr
2013-05-22, 04:50 AM
Rights can be purchased, no?

By the way: I found a solution to my ugly-ass half-orc. Purity of Water + Smoking Jacket. People stopped shooting me on sight.

I never realized Barney's wisdom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiweaZQ8g5U) could ever come in handy in a Steampunk Fantasy game.

Cheesegear
2013-05-22, 05:22 AM
I should try a playthrough as a pure magic focused elf... but the tech tree looked so interesting...

Tech is hard, definitely not recommended for a first play-through. The problem tech characters have, is that they need to find a lot random loot - which is random - to make their abilities work. Second, Guns is based off of PE, which isn't very helpful, and then you need INT to pick up the better Schematics, again, it doesn't do a whole lot. Further, your 'healer' for most players is going to be Virgil, and he can't heal you at all once you get to -30 or so Aptitude which is pretty quick.

Tips for playing a Tech character;
Your first 5 points go into 2 Melee, 2 Dodge and maybe a point into DEX or CHA. You need 9 CHA to pick up Sogg Mead Mug in Shrouded Hills. He's really good. Get CHA 9 before Shrouded Hills.

At this point you should have Neutral Aptitude and Virgil should be healing you just fine. Complete Shrouded Hills and head to Dernholm. Drop Virgil, pick up Janya Stiles. Then go deep into the Smithy and Electrical trees to make gear for yourself and Sogg.

The reason that Melee is so good is because it's based off of DEX. And so is Dodge, and so is Speed and Action Points (i.e; get DEX). Meaning that going as a Gunslinger is just not that good in the beginning because PE doesn't really help anything except Guns. Once you're up to the Elephant Gun you're going to do fine. But, a lot of people don't realise that you simply need 2 Melee and 2 Dodge in the beginning (up to around Level 20, then you start rolling in the Guns). 12 DEX for a Tech Character is plenty, because the only Rings that are going to work for you are Charged Rings (2 in Electric) which are really good.

factotum
2013-05-22, 06:57 AM
Rights can be purchased, no?

Provided you can find who legally owns them. I mean, I could happily come along and tell you I own the rights to Arcanum and sell them to you, but I assure you, things probably wouldn't go well for you if you then tried to assert those rights. :smallwink:

zabbarot
2013-05-22, 07:21 AM
Sierra published the game and I don't think Troika ever actually owned the rights to the game. Activision bought Sierra so... Activision Blizzard owns it now most likely? Edit: Activision Blizzard does own all of Sierra's IP. So they definitely have Arcanum.

Balance was always weird in Arcanum. I don't know how many characters I had to save scum because the random encounters just destroyed them at low levels. Still loved it though. Actually found my copy yesterday so I might reinstall later :smalltongue:

Morty
2013-05-22, 08:48 AM
Yes, Arcanum is a game with a great setting, utterly disastrous engine and non-existent balance. It would have been great with a lot more polish. As it is, it's a very interesting game that's nonetheless bogged down by its technical deficiencies.

Miscast_Mage
2013-05-22, 10:11 AM
I really have to give this another go at some point; one of those flawed-but-great games that always seem to win my heart over.

Hmm, what to play as though? Technological Gunslinger Diplomat is out(Boy, that was a fun first character to try the game with :smallsigh:), so perhaps something simple yet hilarious like a half-orc debutante melee fighter. :smallamused:

Kaustic
2013-05-22, 10:31 AM
I LOVED this game as well! There was another one which was similar but based around more Historical Figures as well. I loved it too!

Also with the fact that Activision/Blizzard owns all Sierra IP...We still have no information about Blizzards "Titan" project...Tinfoil Hats people!

Morty
2013-05-22, 10:40 AM
I really have to give this another go at some point; one of those flawed-but-great games that always seem to win my heart over.

Hmm, what to play as though? Technological Gunslinger Diplomat is out(Boy, that was a fun first character to try the game with :smallsigh:), so perhaps something simple yet hilarious like a half-orc debutante melee fighter. :smallamused:

I think that the most effective combination is a charismatic mage. Then you have OP magic, companions and the social skills to get all the best results. It might feel like you're playing on Easy Mode, though.

Miscast_Mage
2013-05-22, 11:02 AM
I think that the most effective combination is a charismatic mage. Then you have OP magic, companions and the social skills to get all the best results. It might feel like you're playing on Easy Mode, though.

Yeah, that does sound like one of the better combinations to have, though it's easy-mode already thanks to having magic. Harm is just so cost-effective, and disintigrate is so handy as a NOPE button.

I am curious to try a melee build that focuses on using stuff like Shield of Protection and Agility of Fire to enhance other aspects of a character, not just go lol disintigrate at everything.

Cikomyr
2013-05-22, 11:04 AM
To be honest, I totally bored out of my Halfing Crime Lord playthrough. Even with a Hand Cannon I pickpocketed from the pickpocket master, there wasn't much fun in just letting my 6 companions run around and killing stuff by themselves in real time mode.

so I started my Half-Orc Magical Blackguard :smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2013-05-22, 03:47 PM
I found Melee/Time Magic to be a ridiculous combination. Grab a sword of air and ramp up your speed and you're practically a buzzsaw.

13_CBS
2013-05-22, 05:11 PM
Tech is hard, definitely not recommended for a first play-through. The problem tech characters have, is that they need to find a lot random loot - which is random - to make their abilities work. Second, Guns is based off of PE, which isn't very helpful, and then you need INT to pick up the better Schematics, again, it doesn't do a whole lot. Further, your 'healer' for most players is going to be Virgil, and he can't heal you at all once you get to -30 or so Aptitude which is pretty quick.

Tips for playing a Tech character;
Your first 5 points go into 2 Melee, 2 Dodge and maybe a point into DEX or CHA. You need 9 CHA to pick up Sogg Mead Mug in Shrouded Hills. He's really good. Get CHA 9 before Shrouded Hills.

At this point you should have Neutral Aptitude and Virgil should be healing you just fine. Complete Shrouded Hills and head to Dernholm. Drop Virgil, pick up Janya Stiles. Then go deep into the Smithy and Electrical trees to make gear for yourself and Sogg.

To add:

If you can acquire the Healing Mechanical Arachnid, then out of combat healing gets really easy for Tech characters. Keep that camera you find at the Zephyr Crash Site!

If playing a gunslinger, I recommend acquiring the following firearms in the following order:

Fine Revolver (craft with...what, 2 ranks in Gunsmithy?)
Looking Glass Rifle (craft with Gunsmithy, or better yet pickpocket it off of the Firearms Master)
Long Range Pistol (purchase schematics off of a firearms vendor, craft with Looking Glass Rifle and I believe a Fancy Pistol)
Vendigroth Gun

Triaxx
2013-05-23, 05:14 AM
Arcanum is one of those games that I was not old enough to appreciate the first time around. I borrowed it from my cousin. I was told that the combat was similar to Fallout 2. (This was a lie.) I was also told that the boomerang was an awesome starting weapon. (Also a lie.)

I played three times. I died to one of those wolves in the starting pass, then to a rat in the mines, then to the townspeople while trying to stop a bank robbery and accidentally hitting someone not a robber.

Then I got distracted by Star Wars Rebellion.

Cikomyr
2013-05-23, 05:22 AM
Arcanum is one of those games that I was not old enough to appreciate the first time around. I borrowed it from my cousin. I was told that the combat was similar to Fallout 2. (This was a lie.) I was also told that the boomerang was an awesome starting weapon. (Also a lie.)

I played three times. I died to one of those wolves in the starting pass, then to a rat in the mines, then to the townspeople while trying to stop a bank robbery and accidentally hitting someone not a robber.

Then I got distracted by Star Wars Rebellion.

Well.. it is closer to Fallout than any other game I can think of. It uses the same principle of action points, etc..

Boomerang is a good way to stealthily destroy locks and doors from afar, I believe.

and beginning of the game is pretty hard and unforgiving. You just need a more careful starting setup :smallbiggrin:

Starwulf
2013-05-23, 05:25 AM
I've always heard Arcanum and Planescape spoken in the same sentences with reverence before. I know Planescape is playable on modern computers, but what about Arcanum? I'm pretty sure it predates planescape by a year or two(could be wrong though). Is it fairly easy to get ahold of a copy?

Cikomyr
2013-05-23, 05:27 AM
I've always heard Arcanum and Planescape spoken in the same sentences with reverence before. I know Planescape is playable on modern computers, but what about Arcanum? I'm pretty sure it predates planescape by a year or two(could be wrong though). Is it fairly easy to get ahold of a copy?

GOG.com has a patched and modern-friendly version on sale.

Starwulf
2013-05-23, 05:28 AM
GOG.com has a patched and modern-friendly version on sale.

Awesome, might have to lug computer over to a buddies house to download it(can't with my meager 5gb data cap), It's been one of the games I've wanted to play for a while now. Thanks for the info :)

Cikomyr
2013-05-23, 05:37 AM
Awesome, might have to lug computer over to a buddies house to download it(can't with my meager 5gb data cap), It's been one of the games I've wanted to play for a while now. Thanks for the info :)

It's only about 400MB of size.. So it's unlikely to bust your cap by itself.

But good luck!

Cheesegear
2013-05-23, 07:34 AM
Is playing Tech too hard? Have all the Schematics got you bamboozled? Have no fear! Cheesegear is here!

How to play a Tech character (minor spoilers up to about Level 8)
Well, hate to break it to you, but first it's going to be hard. Second, until you get to Dernholm at around Level 8, you're not actually going to be a 'Tech' character.

First up, you're going to need a DX of 9. Forget Miracle Operation, it gives you +IN and +PE and that's great for Guns and Tech, but the negatives to DX are just too painful in the beginning. Then you're going to want to put two points straight into Dodge. Dodge helps you not die. Get Dodge. Then put your remaining points into either Throwing or Melee, both based off of DX.

If you've put points in Throwing, consider making a minor investment into the Explosives tree to get Molotov Cocktails. They're fairly cheap and they break the early game. While levelling in the crash site, keep levelling DX, or just keep your points for later. Two points in a 'combat' skill and two in dodge should get you to at least level 20 without too much hassles, so you don't need to invest in it if you don't want to.
But, the real point I'm trying to make is, don't invest too far into the Tech skills yet because Virgil is the only guy who can heal you (or you could put a point into Herbology and pick up a lot of ingredients for Healing Salves around the Crash Site. But that's a waste of a Point [see later], but you should pick up all the plants anyway [again, for later]). Also make sure to save the Explosive and Stun Grenades you find at the Crash Site.

Before you get to Shrouded Hills, you want a CHA of 9. Put your points into CHA. Sogg Mead Mug at the Inn helps you out considerably, and is Aptitude Neutral so Virgil can heal him easily.

At Shrouded Hills, put a point into Smithy so you can make Pure Ore which you can immediately give to the Blacksmith. If you don't do this, you're not going to be able to complete the quest for a while, and, in the early game, XP matters quite a lot. Then, if you're a Melee character, you can put another point into Smithy so you can start making Balanced Swords if you want, which have amazing Speed - which you add to with your DX. BSwords make the early game easier.

Using the Stun and Explosive Grenades at the Shrouded Hills 'Bridge Fight' makes it slightly easy. If you have no Points in Throwing, just wait 'til everyone is crowded around you and drop the Grenades at your feet.

Once you leave Shrouded Hills, head on down to Dernholm where you can pick up Jayna Stiles and drop Virgil. Jayna Stiles has Points in Herbology and Therapeutics...So give her all of your plants that you picked up from the Crash Site and tell her to get making those Healing Salves! To get her you need 11 Aptitude in Tech. Which is only two points worth of Disciplines (Balanced Swords, anyone? Although Ore and Molotovs works too). Since you're about to spam Tech like all get-out...Virgil stops getting useful, real fast as he burns his Fatigue trying to heal you and then gets terrible.

**Since Virgil is somewhat semi-integral to the plot, it's recommended that you have him around during your first play-through. As such, playing a Tech Character is not recommended for your first time**

Once you've got Jayna in your party, you can start being a Techie for real. Since magic items are just flat out not going to work for you, you're going to need to make your own weapons and armour. Just go full into Smithy. All 7 Points! Because Smithy also contains a lot of making your own weapons, going Melee is always good.

Next, there's only one Tech Ring in the game. Charged Rings. And you have to make them yourself. All for the low investment of 2 points in Electric. Make two of them for everyone! Electric also has several useful items that you can use throughout your adventure, but you don't really need them as such.

**If you plan on using Guns, when you get to Tarant, be on the lookout for shopkeepers selling the 'Bullets' Schematic. You'll want it. For obvious reasons.**

By about Level 20, Sogg has levelled up enough that he can tank a lot of damage and he doesn't really need your help anymore. Especially if Jayna is healing him because she's put points into Tech and her Salves heal quite a bit by now.

Now is the time to start using Guns. Start putting points into Gunsmithing, Firearms and PE. If you haven't already broken the early game (and all the armour) by throwing Molotovs willy-nilly, put a point into Explosives now and start making your own Bullets which you have the Schematic for if you've been paying attention.

Firearms isn't going to be great because it's based off of PE. Nothing else you need is based off of PE;

Underground/Indoors/Darkness gives you negatives To Hit, but you don't care because you've made Electric Lights (1 in Electric, which you've already got because you've got Charged Rings).

PE is used for Prowling. Ignore. It's only good for Backstab and Pick Pockets, which, as a Tech Character, you don't have enough Points to go 'round anyway.
PE is used for Spot Trap. Which you can do with a Flow Specktrometer (3 in Electric, which is barely a step up from 2 for Charged Rings).
PE is used for Disarm Trap. Which you can do with Trap Springers (2 in Mechanical). Of which you can make a whole buttload of for next to nothing. Or get Magnus to make them if you don't want to waste the Points.

If you do want to use Firearms, go ahead. It's just that you're already in Smithy/Electric (Melee), and for all other damage you've got Explosives (Throwing).

Melee and Throwing (and Dodge) both need DX. And you're going to need DX to make a good character anyway even if you do go in for Firearms (Charged Rings, ho!!!).

Jayna Stiles does Herbology/Therapeutics (Dernholm)
Magnus does Mechanics/Smithy (Tarant)
Sebastian does Electric/Explosives (Tarant, after Boil)
Vollinger does Gunsmithy/Chemistry (Dernholm)

Hope that helps anyone who is stuck.

Morty
2013-05-23, 08:51 AM
It's funny that melee is so much better than guns in this game, since we hear all about how musketeers beat the crap out of the knights of that technophobic kingdom. In the actual game, the knights would have just minced the gunmen. :smalltongue:

zabbarot
2013-05-23, 09:05 AM
Is playing Tech too hard? Have all the Schematics got you bamboozled? Have no fear! Cheesegear is here!

How to play a Tech character (minor spoilers up to about Level 8)
Well, hate to break it to you, but first it's going to be hard. Second, until you get to Dernholm at around Level 8, you're not actually going to be a 'Tech' character.

First up, you're going to need a DX of 9. Forget Miracle Operation, it gives you +IN and +PE and that's great for Guns and Tech, but the negatives to DX are just too painful in the beginning. Then you're going to want to put two points straight into Dodge. Dodge helps you not die. Get Dodge. Then put your remaining points into either Throwing or Melee, both based off of DX.

If you've put points in Throwing, consider making a minor investment into the Explosives tree to get Molotov Cocktails. They're fairly cheap and they break the early game. While levelling in the crash site, keep levelling DX, or just keep your points for later. Two points in a 'combat' skill and two in dodge should get you to at least level 20 without too much hassles, so you don't need to invest in it if you don't want to.
But, the real point I'm trying to make is, don't invest too far into the Tech skills yet because Virgil is the only guy who can heal you (or you could put a point into Herbology and pick up a lot of ingredients for Healing Salves around the Crash Site. But that's a waste of a Point [see later], but you should pick up all the plants anyway [again, for later]). Also make sure to save the Explosive and Stun Grenades you find at the Crash Site.

Before you get to Shrouded Hills, you want a CHA of 9. Put your points into CHA. Sogg Mead Mug at the Inn helps you out considerably, and is Aptitude Neutral so Virgil can heal him easily.

At Shrouded Hills, put a point into Smithy so you can make Pure Ore which you can immediately give to the Blacksmith. If you don't do this, you're not going to be able to complete the quest for a while, and, in the early game, XP matters quite a lot. Then, if you're a Melee character, you can put another point into Smithy so you can start making Balanced Swords if you want, which have amazing Speed - which you add to with your DX. BSwords make the early game easier.

Using the Stun and Explosive Grenades at the Shrouded Hills 'Bridge Fight' makes it slightly easy. If you have no Points in Throwing, just wait 'til everyone is crowded around you and drop the Grenades at your feet.

Once you leave Shrouded Hills, head on down to Dernholm where you can pick up Jayna Stiles and drop Virgil. Jayna Stiles has Points in Herbology and Therapeutics...So give her all of your plants that you picked up from the Crash Site and tell her to get making those Healing Salves! To get her you need 11 Aptitude in Tech. Which is only two points worth of Disciplines (Balanced Swords, anyone? Although Ore and Molotovs works too). Since you're about to spam Tech like all get-out...Virgil stops getting useful, real fast as he burns his Fatigue trying to heal you and then gets terrible.

**Since Virgil is somewhat semi-integral to the plot, it's recommended that you have him around during your first play-through. As such, playing a Tech Character is not recommended for your first time**

Once you've got Jayna in your party, you can start being a Techie for real. Since magic items are just flat out not going to work for you, you're going to need to make your own weapons and armour. Just go full into Smithy. All 7 Points! Because Smithy also contains a lot of making your own weapons, going Melee is always good.

Next, there's only one Tech Ring in the game. Charged Rings. And you have to make them yourself. All for the low investment of 2 points in Electric. Make two of them for everyone! Electric also has several useful items that you can use throughout your adventure, but you don't really need them as such.

**If you plan on using Guns, when you get to Tarant, be on the lookout for shopkeepers selling the 'Bullets' Schematic. You'll want it. For obvious reasons.**

By about Level 20, Sogg has levelled up enough that he can tank a lot of damage and he doesn't really need your help anymore. Especially if Jayna is healing him because she's put points into Tech and her Salves heal quite a bit by now.

Now is the time to start using Guns. Start putting points into Gunsmithing, Firearms and PE. If you haven't already broken the early game (and all the armour) by throwing Molotovs willy-nilly, put a point into Explosives now and start making your own Bullets which you have the Schematic for if you've been paying attention.

Firearms isn't going to be great because it's based off of PE. Nothing else you need is based off of PE;

Underground/Indoors/Darkness gives you negatives To Hit, but you don't care because you've made Electric Lights (1 in Electric, which you've already got because you've got Charged Rings).

PE is used for Prowling. Ignore. It's only good for Backstab and Pick Pockets, which, as a Tech Character, you don't have enough Points to go 'round anyway.
PE is used for Spot Trap. Which you can do with a Flow Specktrometer (3 in Electric, which is barely a step up from 2 for Charged Rings).
PE is used for Disarm Trap. Which you can do with Trap Springers (2 in Mechanical). Of which you can make a whole buttload of for next to nothing. Or get Magnus to make them if you don't want to waste the Points.

If you do want to use Firearms, go ahead. It's just that you're already in Smithy/Electric (Melee), and for all other damage you've got Explosives (Throwing).

Melee and Throwing (and Dodge) both need DX. And you're going to need DX to make a good character anyway even if you do go in for Firearms (Charged Rings, ho!!!).

Jayna Stiles does Herbology/Therapeutics (Dernholm)
Magnus does Mechanics/Smithy (Tarant)
Sebastian does Electric/Explosives (Tarant, after Boil)
Vollinger does Gunsmithy/Chemistry (Dernholm)

Hope that helps anyone who is stuck.

This is great advice. Molotovs are crazy early on. My first character actually died because I botched a throw and lit myself on fire :|

Cheesegear
2013-05-23, 09:06 AM
In the actual game, the knights would have just minced the gunmen. :smalltongue:

Not at all! Once you get your hands on the Blade Launcher, Elephant Gun or Tesla Gun, you're a force to be reckoned with, and you can one-shot most of the enemies in the game! The problem is that if you go straight guns from Level 1, it's really, really difficult to get to that point without getting really annoyed with the game because you'll be dying a whole lot.

The problem with Guns is that they don't exactly get good until mid-late game and the early game is really difficult without Melee/Explosives (and Dodge!).

Morty
2013-05-23, 09:08 AM
Yes, except that rank-and-file soldiers would have skills and equipment comparable to your poor low-level technologist PC rather than high-end handcannons.

Triaxx
2013-05-23, 03:00 PM
For one, numbers can overwhelm, which I expect is what happened to the Knights. Or you could have one guy making a lot of the good guns for the infantry. That's what all those factories are for.