PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions of Spells/Feats/etc. for a Duskblade

FyreHeart
2013-05-21, 08:59 PM
So in the current campaign I am playing, I am currently a changeling duskblade. Our party is weird: a knight, a spellthief, a swashbuckler and a sorcerer. Dont ask me how we have such a strange mix.

I am currently levelling up from level 3 up to 5 since our DM is making us do so for the next game and I'd like to see what spells, feats, etc. you guys would suggest.

BTW, he doesn't allow Dimmension Hop or Vampiric Touch at all.

Morcleon
2013-05-21, 09:10 PM
...no dimension hop or vampiric touch? Alright, you've just lost a not insignificant portion of what makes duskblade good. Vampiric touch is kinda the bread and butter of what you'll use at higher levels... Did he give a reason for banning these two?

You should get shocking grasp if you don't already. And then resist energy, true strike and ray of enfeeblement.

As for your one 2nd level spell, I'd suggest dimension hop but, y'know... Anyway, I think scorching ray is a nice option for this level. Gets you some ranged attacks.

And unless your DM allows feat retraining, you won't get any new feats.

BowStreetRunner
2013-05-21, 09:10 PM
Knowledge Devotion from CC. For a Duskblade it replaces the Fighter's Weapon Focus > Specialization feat tree.

Edit: Morcleon has a point, Duskblade 3 to Duskblade 5 won't give new feats.

Waker
2013-05-21, 09:15 PM
Arcane Mastery is decent. It would let you take a 10 whenever you attempt to overcome SR, which meshes well with your Spell Power ability. Grabbing one or more of the reserve feats from Complete Mage would give your magic a bit more longevity.

Morcleon
2013-05-21, 09:19 PM
Arcane Mastery is decent. It would let you take a 10 whenever you attempt to overcome SR, which meshes well with your Spell Power ability. Grabbing one or more of the reserve feats from Complete Mage would give your magic a bit more longevity.

Eh... it's alright.

Feat-wise, I would second Knowledge Devotion, and also suggest Power Attack (for use with true strike/wraithstrike) and Arcane Strike (later on, as you need to be 9th level).

Oh, and Extra Spell (wraithstrike). :smallbiggrin:

Fable Wright
2013-05-21, 09:19 PM
Knowledge Devotion is amazing if you trained your knowledge skills. If not, start training knowledge skills and grab Knowledge Devotion.

Deceptive Illumination is handy if you want some out of combat utility.

Also, do anything possible to get back Vampiric Touch. You have exactly two spells on your list that are useful for Channeling: Shocking Grasp, and Vampiric Touch. Otherwise, be sure to grab the Extra Spell feat after you get third level spells to pick up Combust, from Spell Compendium.

Arcane Strike is also useful in the later levels when you have way too many spell slots lying around.

FyreHeart
2013-05-21, 09:36 PM
...no dimension hop or vampiric touch? Alright, you've just lost a not insignificant portion of what makes duskblade good. Vampiric touch is kinda the bread and butter of what you'll use at higher levels... Did he give a reason for banning these two?

You should get shocking grasp if you don't already. And then resist energy, true strike and ray of enfeeblement.

As for your one 2nd level spell, I'd suggest dimension hop but, y'know... Anyway, I think scorching ray is a nice option for this level. Gets you some ranged attacks.

And unless your DM allows feat retraining, you won't get any new feats.

He just doesn't like those two spells. His reasons are stupid, for the fact that he doesnt allow psionic abilities (because of one horribly OP character with Dimmension Door) and that he just hates Vampiric Touch.

I'm thinking of learning Ray of Exhaustion though, to help deal with some stronger enemies that we may encounter along the way.

Morcleon
2013-05-21, 09:39 PM
He just doesn't like those two spells. His reasons are stupid, for the fact that he doesnt allow psionic abilities (because of one horribly OP character with Dimmension Door) and that he just hates Vampiric Touch.

I'm thinking of learning Ray of Exhaustion though, to help deal with some stronger enemies that we may encounter along the way.

...dimension hop is a spell. It has nothing to do with psionics. Also, did he realize that the caster is not allowed to take any more actions in the round after they cast dimension door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm)? :smallconfused:

Has he given a justification for hating vampiric touch? It's a nice spell, but not even close to OP. Maybe you should show him Shivering Touch, aka the Dragon-Killer. :smalltongue:

Ray of Exhaustion is a nice spell. Take it.

Waker
2013-05-21, 09:41 PM
Out of curiosity, is he restricting the Sorcerer spell list in any fashion? Or allowing you access to some spells to replace the ones you lost, since Duskblade don't have a giant list to begin with.

FyreHeart
2013-05-21, 09:43 PM
...dimension hop is a spell. It has nothing to do with psionics. Also, dimension door is a spell as well. :smallconfused:

Has he given a justification for hating vampiric touch? It's a nice spell, but not even close to OP. Maybe you should show him Shivering Touch, aka the Dragon-Killer. :smalltongue:

Ray of Exhaustion is a nice spell. Take it.

Realized my typo on the spell above! This is what happens when a duskblade types when tired!! (lol)

Morcleon
2013-05-21, 09:47 PM
Realized my typo on the spell above! This is what happens when a duskblade types when tired!! (lol)

Um... what exactly was the typo...? >.> :smalltongue:

FyreHeart
2013-05-21, 09:47 PM
Out of curiosity, is he restricting the Sorcerer spell list in any fashion? Or allowing you access to some spells to replace the ones you lost, since Duskblade don't have a giant list to begin with.

He probably is but off the top of my head I don't know for sure. I know he allowed me Magic Missile and Magelight though.

FyreHeart
2013-05-21, 09:48 PM
Um... what exactly was the typo...? >.> :smalltongue:

The name of the spell, my bad. ^^;

Morcleon
2013-05-21, 09:52 PM
He probably is but off the top of my head I don't know for sure. I know he allowed me Magic Missile and Magelight though.

...both of which are rather pointless on a duskblade... The first is just some crappy damage which you can get far more of by channelling shocking grasp, and the second you already effectively have via your Arcane Attunement.

Ask for some touch spells to replace dimension hop and vampiric touch. Combust is a nice one. So is Lesser Shivering Touch. :smallcool:

The name of the spell, my bad. ^^;

Ah. It's okay, but could you please edit in the correction? You, um, haven't actually told us what the error was... ^_^"

Snowbluff
2013-05-21, 10:00 PM
Poison spell is incredibly good for a Duskblade. With Master of Poisons, Obtain Familiar, Improved Familiar (or similiar feat), it can be a pretty vicious class.

I like pseudodragons for the sleep poison, but Tiny Sea Snakes are pretty good, too. Their DCs for poison can be considered a HD based effect, so they will scale.

FyreHeart
2013-05-22, 08:26 AM
Poison spell is incredibly good for a Duskblade. With Master of Poisons, Obtain Familiar, Improved Familiar (or similiar feat), it can be a pretty vicious class.

I like pseudodragons for the sleep poison, but Tiny Sea Snakes are pretty good, too. Their DCs for poison can be considered a HD based effect, so they will scale.

Need to wait til a higher level to get Poison Spell but I'll keep that in mind, lol.

Aracor
2013-05-22, 11:23 AM
Since he's taken away a touch spell, you should see if you can find an appropriate one to give you back as well. As mentioned above, Combust is a good choice if you can get it. That's the only big thing I don't like about duskblade. They have six levels of spells total, and the highest level touch spell is level 3. Someone didn't think that list through very well.

Barsoom
2013-05-22, 11:33 AM
Your 3rd level feat will be Knowledge Devotion, and nothing else.
Your 9th level feat will be Arcane Strike, and nothing else.

You have some freedom with the 1st and 6th level feats. My shortlist would be: Power Attack, Deceptive Illumination, Versatile Spellcaster, Obtain Familiar, Battle Caster.

FyreHeart
2013-05-22, 05:16 PM
Your 3rd level feat will be Knowledge Devotion, and nothing else.
Your 9th level feat will be Arcane Strike, and nothing else.

You have some freedom with the 1st and 6th level feats. My shortlist would be: Power Attack, Deceptive Illumination, Versatile Spellcaster, Obtain Familiar, Battle Caster.

A feat I can get though later on could be Extra Spell, which could possibly get me a spell not in the normal spell selection of duskblades.

Barsoom
2013-05-22, 05:51 PM
A feat I can get though later on could be Extra Spell, which could possibly get me a spell not in the normal spell selection of duskblades.
I believe there's a specific prohibition against getting a spell not on your class' spell list. But I've seen DMs handwaving it before. If your DM is cool with it, go ahead.

FyreHeart
2013-05-22, 07:59 PM
I believe there's a specific prohibition against getting a spell not on your class' spell list. But I've seen DMs handwaving it before. If your DM is cool with it, go ahead.

Well seeing as how he said no to me using Dimension Hop as well as Vampiric Touch before, I think he's letting me take that feat to make up for not getting those two spells.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-05-22, 08:13 PM
Vampiric Touch is the only Duskblade touch spell that scales well into high levels. If the DM is banning it, I'd drop Duskblade, or at least multiclass out into Wizard/Abjurant Champion after Duskblade 3, just to have some spells to actually use with Channeling.

But since it sounds like you're looking for general all-purpose advice on a class, and no one has linked the handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8696.0) yet, it's a good place to start (googling "<Class name> Handbook D&D 3.5" is almost always a good way to get a good baseline of knowledge and suggestions about the class).

Marnath
2013-05-22, 08:33 PM

You have that backwards. There is nothing in the feat specifying what sort of spell it has to be, only that it must be at least one level lower than the current max level you can cast. The common houserule is to limit the selection to your class list. In fact the example given is of a wizard taking the feat for a spell he could never normally know.

FyreHeart
2013-05-22, 09:51 PM
Since I actually can learn a spell not in my normal spell list, what do you guys suggest then as possibilities?

Barsoom
2013-05-22, 10:01 PM
You have that backwards. There is nothing in the feat specifying what sort of spell it has to be, only that it must be at least one level lower than the current max level you can cast. The common houserule is to limit the selection to your class list. In fact the example given is of a wizard taking the feat for a spell he could never normally know.While I appreciate the correction, it is misguided. This was debated before, and in fact in the bolded statement you hit the nail of the problem on the head. Now, riddle me this: what is the spell level of, oh, I don't know, let's say, Hideous Laughter for a Duskblade? For a Bard it's level 1, for Wizard/Sorcerer, level 2, for a Duskblade ... uh oh, since it's not on the Duskblade spell list, its Duskblade level is "-". Undefined. That spell has no level. Therefore, the condition "at least one level lower than ..." cannot be met. Therefore you can't take Hideous Laughter with Extra Spell as Duskblade.

This was also addressed in the FAQ, page 40 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a).

Can you take spells from spell lists other than your own with the Extra Spell feat (CAr 79)?

The Extra Spell feat allows you to choose a new spell, but it does not remove the restrictions of how you would normally pick your spells—so they must be picked from your own spell list.

A house rule (not sure how common) is to allow spells outside your spell list.

Snowbluff
2013-05-22, 10:02 PM
@^ Protip, FAQs aren't RAW. The feat may have been errataed, but as it reads nothing prevents it from being used to access other lists.

Combust is a definite option.

Shivering Touch is also really strong, but that seeking a ban hammer.

Bestow Curse is fun, but touch attacks with DCs aren't particularly good with DB until they hit level 13.

Barsoom
2013-05-22, 10:04 PM
Since I actually can learn a spell not in my normal spell list, what do you guys suggest then as possibilities?

If you go into Abjurant Champion, Shield is amazing. Otherwise, maybe Fist of Stone (SpC)

Barsoom
2013-05-22, 10:08 PM
@^ Protip, FAQs aren't RAW. The feat may have been errataed, but as it reads nothing prevents it from being used to access other lists. Thanks for the feedback. The reference to the FAQ was merely a throwaway comment. I have clearly explained why, by RAW, picking a spell outside your list is impossible. Would you care to refute the bulk of the argument please? It is repeated here for your convenience.

Now, riddle me this: what is the spell level of, oh, I don't know, let's say, Hideous Laughter for a Duskblade? For a Bard it's level 1, for Wizard/Sorcerer, level 2, for a Duskblade ... uh oh, since it's not on the Duskblade spell list, its Duskblade level is "-". Undefined. That spell has no level. Therefore, the condition "at least one level lower than ..." cannot be met. Therefore you can't take Hideous Laughter with Extra Spell as Duskblade.
Also, despite the FAQ not being RAW, care to refute this:

it does not remove the restrictions of how you would normally pick your spells—so they must be picked from your own spell list.

Morcleon
2013-05-22, 10:24 PM

Wraithstrike. :smallcool:

Marnath
2013-05-22, 10:25 PM
While I appreciate the correction, it is misguided. This was debated before, and in fact in the bolded statement you hit the nail of the problem on the head. Now, riddle me this: what is the spell level of, oh, I don't know, let's say, Hideous Laughter for a Duskblade? For a Bard it's level 1, for Wizard/Sorcerer, level 2, for a Duskblade ... uh oh, since it's not on the Duskblade spell list, its Duskblade level is "-". Undefined. That spell has no level. Therefore, the condition "at least one level lower than ..." cannot be met. Therefore you can't take Hideous Laughter with Extra Spell as Duskblade.

Nope. That's a houserule. It doesn't matter whether a spell is different levels for different classes. The feat would allow the duskblade to take hideous laughter as a first level spell, because it is a first level bard spell and Extra Spell contains no wording referencing class lists, nor does it say that any spell chosen is counted as the highest level of all class lists that it appears on. By RAW there is nothing stopping you from taking this feat to learn Haste as a first level spell off the Trapsmith PRC as long as you can cast second level spells.

The FAQ is meaningless and is not RAW, I will not be disputing it as it has no bearing on the rules. Only errata can declare that statement to be true definitively.

Barsoom
2013-05-22, 10:37 PM
I see. So your argument is that you met the requirement of 'one level lower' because it's one level lower for a different class. That's an interesting interpretation.

Let me ask you this, does the different class have to be from the same game system? Can I use PF classes to choose a spell? :smallamused:

Morcleon
2013-05-22, 10:40 PM
I see. So your argument is that you met the requirement of 'one level lower' because it's one level lower for a different class. That's an interesting interpretation.

Let me ask you this, does the different class have to be from the same game system? Can I use PF classes to choose a spell? :smallamused:

Yes it does. As Extra Spell is a 3.5e feat, it references only official WotC 3.5e material. For all that the rules are concerned, PF doesn't exist. :smallwink:

Letting it apply to PF/3rd party is entirely a houserule.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-05-23, 05:02 AM
While I appreciate the correction, it is misguided. This was debated before, and in fact in the bolded statement you hit the nail of the problem on the head. Now, riddle me this: what is the spell level of, oh, I don't know, let's say, Hideous Laughter for a Duskblade? For a Bard it's level 1, for Wizard/Sorcerer, level 2, for a Duskblade ... uh oh, since it's not on the Duskblade spell list, its Duskblade level is "-". Undefined. That spell has no level. Therefore, the condition "at least one level lower than ..." cannot be met. Therefore you can't take Hideous Laughter with Extra Spell as Duskblade.
Would you stand by this line of reasoning on Expanded Knowledge? The situation is identical with regards to the level of the spell/power, but its quirkiness is clearly not a problem in EK's case, making this less than a convincing argument against using Extra Spell to tap out-of-class lists.

only1doug
2013-05-23, 05:57 AM

Belkar Claws is a 2nd Level Sorc / Wizard spell from the spell compendium, its a touch attack that deals reasonable damage with an ongoing basis, I'd ask the GM if it was an acceptable substitute for vampiric touch.

FyreHeart
2013-05-23, 09:18 AM
Wraithstrike. :smallcool:

Ohh, what does that do? And what are the advantages of having it for a Duskblade?

FyreHeart
2013-05-23, 09:24 AM
Belkar Claws is a 2nd Level Sorc / Wizard spell from the spell compendium, its a touch attack that deals reasonable damage with an ongoing basis, I'd ask the GM if it was an acceptable substitute for vampiric touch.

The only problems I see are having the actual material component and how there is both a spell resistance and saving throw. Would there be any other suggestions?

I'll definetly see if I can convince him otherwise if he's not sure on letting me use this lol.

Snowbluff
2013-05-23, 09:40 AM
Ohh, what does that do? And what are the advantages of having it for a Duskblade?

As a Swift action, all of your attacks are touch attacks. It's really good, especially if you have power attack.

only1doug
2013-05-23, 10:10 AM
The only problems I see are having the actual material component and how there is both a spell resistance and saving throw. Would there be any other suggestions?

I'll definetly see if I can convince him otherwise if he's not sure on letting me use this lol.

Saving throw: none
the component is cheap enough for eschew materials to work (if your GM enforces that requirement) or for you to have a plenty of Vials of smoke
in belt loops or similar arrangements.
Spell resistance is an issue if you face enough enemies that have it, Hopefully they are rare enough for this not to be an insurmountable problem.

GreenETC
2013-05-23, 11:49 AM
See if you can convince him to just let you replace the lost spells on the spell list with one of the cool touch spell options the thread has given you, since it's unfair for you to have to use 1/7 of your feat amount on getting something that is a main part of your class. It's like making a Rogue spend a feat to advance Sneak Attack when he would normally get another die, or making a Monk take a feat to increase his Unarmed Strike damage.

Also, show him how Dimension Hop (the spell) and Dimension Hop (the power) are entirely different things, and see if he'll change his mind. I'd say Combust is a pretty mediocre replacement, but it's your best option, just because if he's afraid of Vampiric Touch, I doubt he'll be okay with letting you have Wraithstrike.

DarkSonic1337
2013-05-23, 01:44 PM

There was actually a thread about what spells would thematically fit on the Duskblade spell list.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2416523#post2416523

Here it is. Find a couple spells you like and show them to your DM. They're very much in line with the duskblade theme, being entirely combat focused, but in some ways people forget are important for a gish (like creating a lightsaber to go against touch AC, or getting +4 to initiative to make sure you go first, or gaining POUNCE for a while so you can get your full attacks).

You'd obviously still have to pick up any spell added to your spell list as part of a level up of course

FyreHeart
2013-05-23, 07:41 PM
You guys are really darn helpful with helping a newbie learn to way of the D&D land, you know that? :smallsmile:

Since our DM wants us to level up from level 3 to 5 for our next game, here's what I am comsidering:

For learned feats: Extra Spell and Knowledge Devotion
Spells (possibilities): Whirling Blade, Belkar Claws, Moon Blade (all three would be from Extra Spell as possibilities), Dispel Magic, Ray of Exhaustion.

Morcleon
2013-05-23, 08:16 PM
You guys are really darn helpful with helping a newbie learn to way of the D&D land, you know that? :smallsmile:

Since our DM wants us to level up from level 3 to 5 for our next game, here's what I am comsidering:

For learned feats: Extra Spell and Knowledge Devotion
Spells (possibilities): Whirling Blade, Belkar Claws, Moon Blade (all three would be from Extra Spell as possibilities), Dispel Magic, Ray of Exhaustion.

You're welcome. ^.^

You'll want to save Extra Spell for your 9th level feat, as you can't get anything decent with it yet. The spell you learn from that has to be at least one level lower than the maximum you can cast. So if you want a 2nd level spell, you have to be able to cast 3rd level spells first (which for a duskblade is level 9).

Other than that, it looks nice. I'd still recommend scorching ray, since it's rather nice for some long range damage.

FyreHeart
2013-05-23, 08:21 PM
You're welcome. ^.^

You'll want to save Extra Spell for your 9th level feat, as you can't get anything decent with it yet. The spell you learn from that has to be at least one level lower than the maximum you can cast. So if you want a 2nd level spell, you have to be able to cast 3rd level spells first (which for a duskblade is level 9).

Other than that, it looks nice. I'd still recommend scorching ray, since it's rather nice for some long range damage.

What others would you recommend for 9th level Extra Spell? And if I decided to take that as of the current level 5, what do you suggest?

Morcleon
2013-05-23, 08:25 PM
What others would you recommend for 9th level Extra Spell? And if I decided to take that as of the current level 5, what do you suggest?

For 9th level? Wraithstrike still remains my favorite. Most monsters have a horrible touch AC, and it essentially allows you to do a full Power Attack (which is another feat that you should take).

For 5th level, and assuming that the feat is taken at 5th level? Lesser Shivering Touch is a nice channeling spell. 1d6 Dex damage. :smallsmile:

Marnath
2013-05-23, 08:37 PM
For 9th level? Wraithstrike still remains my favorite. Most monsters have a horrible touch AC, and it essentially allows you to do a full Power Attack (which is another feat that you should take).

For 5th level, and assuming that the feat is taken at 5th level? Lesser Shivering Touch is a nice channeling spell. 1d6 Dex damage. :smallsmile:

You don't get a feat at 5th level. Your next feats are 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th.

Snowbluff
2013-05-23, 08:37 PM

Just doing our job, ma'am.

Make sure you can spend points on the knowledge skills for Knowledge Devotion.

FyreHeart
2013-05-23, 08:59 PM
Anyone also want to explain Knowledge Devotion to me as well? Confused with how it works, how its applied to battles, etc.

Morcleon
2013-05-23, 09:02 PM
Anyone also want to explain Knowledge Devotion to me as well? Confused with how it works, how its applied to battles, etc.

For each type of enemy (aberration, humanoid, etc...) on the battlefield, if you are trained in the type of Knowledge skill that applies to that type, make a Knowledge check. The higher the result, the higher your insight bonus to attack and damage.

{table=head]Result|Bonus
<=15|+1
16-25|+2
26-30|+3
31-35|+4
>=36|+5[/table]

FyreHeart
2013-05-23, 09:07 PM
For each type of enemy (aberration, humanoid, etc...) on the battlefield, if you are trained in the type of Knowledge skill that applies to that type, make a Knowledge check. The higher the result, the higher your insight bonus to attack and damage.

{table=head]Result|Bonus
<=15|+1
16-25|+2
26-30|+3
31-35|+4
>=36|+5[/table]

Whoot. And duskblades are taught in all Knowledge areas as a class skill.
Can I add any of my skill points from levelling up onto these?

Snowbluff
2013-05-23, 09:10 PM

You can, up to your max of your level plus 3. The problem would be that Duskblades are low in skill points, so make sure you put your points into the right knowledge skills. For example, if your DM uses lots of Undead against you, put points into knowledge religion.

I'd like to point out the feat is a lot less useful if you can't put a lot of points into knowledge skills.

Morcleon
2013-05-23, 09:11 PM

Yes. You should have at least one rank in each Knowledge (arcana, dungeoneering, local, nature, religion, the planes). Add in psionics if those exist in your campaign. This way, you will always have at least +1 to attack and damage, and possibly +2.

BowStreetRunner
2013-05-23, 09:14 PM
The best part of Knowledge Devotion is that even if you roll a 1 on your knowledge check, you still get a +1 to attack and damage.

So put at least 1 rank into each knowledge skill that can be used for identifying creatures and you will always get at least a +1 bonus in combat.

Common boost methods include picking up the Collector of Stories skill trick from Complete Scoundrel (ask your DM first, as not all agree this works) or carry a set of Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance from the Magic Item Compendium (if your alignment is neutral, lawful evil, lawful neutral, or lawful good).

only1doug
2013-05-24, 01:56 AM
You don't get a feat at 5th level. Your next feats are 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th.

*Unless your group is using Pathfinder feat progression, in which case you gain a new feat every odd numbered character level and therefore would gain a feat at L5.*

FyreHeart
2013-05-24, 08:00 PM
*Unless your group is using Pathfinder feat progression, in which case you gain a new feat every odd numbered character level and therefore would gain a feat at L5.*

Beat me to saying that lol.

FyreHeart
2013-05-24, 08:13 PM
Now the question remains, what level should I take Extra Spell and what level for Knowledge Devotion?

Marnath
2013-05-24, 08:31 PM
Now the question remains, what level should I take Extra Spell and what level for Knowledge Devotion?

Probably take Knowledge Devotion first, assuming you can afford to also buy some ranks in the various knowledges at the same time. Probably take extra spell later on so that you can get a higher level spell if you like? Or take it first if there's a spell you really want that you already qualify for.

Morcleon
2013-05-24, 08:39 PM

Knowledge Devotion must be either 3rd or 5th, as it has a prereq of 5 ranks in a Knowledge. I recommend Extra Spell to be taken at 9th level for either Combust or Wraithstrike. You could also take it at 5th level for any good 1st level spell you want.

FyreHeart
2013-05-24, 09:14 PM
Arcane Strike is also something I was considering at 3rd level instead of Extra Spell.

FyreHeart
2013-05-24, 09:16 PM
Knowledge Devotion must be either 3rd or 5th, as it has a prereq of 5 ranks in a Knowledge. I recommend Extra Spell to be taken at 9th level for either Combust or Wraithstrike. You could also take it at 5th level for any good 1st level spell you want.

I asked the guy running our campaign right now on spells I could possibly learn with Extra Spell, including Whirling Blade and Moon Blade. If I took Extra Spell, which should I choose?

Also DM said no to Wraithstrike.

FyreHeart
2013-05-27, 09:59 PM
Also our DM is now asking all magic-using classes in our game to multi-class because of how where we are in the game, magic does not work for some odd reason. Any good suggestions for a duskblade?

Morcleon
2013-05-27, 10:01 PM
Also our DM is now asking all magic-using classes in our game to multi-class because of how where we are in the game, magic does not work for some odd reason. Any good suggestions for a duskblade?

...huh? :smallconfused:

Is magic permanently off?
What about magic items?
Are you being forced to multiclass?
Will he let you retrain your levels after magic gets turned back on?

Snowbluff
2013-05-27, 10:23 PM
Warblade and Swashbuckler would work. Put your Int to work.

Entry into Jade Pheonix Mage might be appropriate.

FyreHeart
2013-05-27, 10:28 PM
...huh? :smallconfused:

Is magic permanently off?
What about magic items?
Are you being forced to multiclass?
Will he let you retrain your levels after magic gets turned back on?

1) Magic isnt permanetly turned off, but only temporary due to the location we're currently in in our campaign.
2) I assume the same goes with magic items.
3) We are being made to multiclass.
4) Not totally sure.

FyreHeart
2013-05-27, 10:32 PM
Warblade and Swashbuckler would work. Put your Int to work.

Entry into Jade Pheonix Mage might be appropriate.

We already have a Swashbuckler in the party. We call him William Ragpants with how unlucky he is with having his clothes ruined and torn lol.

Morcleon
2013-05-27, 10:42 PM
1) Magic isnt permanetly turned off, but only temporary due to the location we're currently in in our campaign.
2) I assume the same goes with magic items.
3) We are being made to multiclass.
4) Not totally sure.

...I see... :smallannoyed:

Go with something full BAB that is very front-loaded. Warblade is probably the best for this. If you are allowed to retrain it out, retrain as many levels as you feel is appropriate. If not, Warblade certainly isn't bad. :smallsmile:

FyreHeart
2013-05-27, 10:46 PM
...I see... :smallannoyed:

Go with something full BAB that is very front-loaded. Warblade is probably the best for this. If you are allowed to retrain it out, retrain as many levels as you feel is appropriate. If not, Warblade certainly isn't bad. :smallsmile:

Our DM suggested Fighter and Chameleon to me. Looked up Warblade and Im not a huge fan of the initial 'character' of it. Doesnt suit my Aseria lol.

Snowbluff
2013-05-27, 10:49 PM
We already have a Swashbuckler in the party. We call him William Ragpants with how unlucky he is with having his clothes ruined and torn lol. That's awesome.

Our DM suggested Fighter and Chameleon to me. Looked up Warblade and Im not a huge fan of the initial 'character' of it. Doesnt suit my Aseria lol.

If magic isn't allowed chameleon won't work so well. Warblade is great because you can produce decent effects without having to rely on the altered magic. The warblade is the everyman of melee classes, so rethinking of it as a genius bruiser like the Duskblade is suggested.

BowStreetRunner
2013-05-27, 10:50 PM
First, I would try to convince your DM to allow you to remain in the Duskblade class - magic or no magic. You get d8 HD, full BAB, two good saves, and all of the knowledge skills as class skills. Honestly, you don't need a second class and it will only hurt you in the long run. Stay in Duskblade, push up your knowledge bonus for Knowledge Devotion, and when the magic comes back you will have your spell-progression unbroken.

Morcleon
2013-05-27, 10:51 PM

With Duskblade/Fighter, you wouldn't be able to qualify for Chameleon for a while. Also, Chameleon gives casting.

What's wrong with Warblade? And if it's just the flavor you don't like, then change it. Fluff is mutable, after all. :smallsmile:

FyreHeart
2013-05-27, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=Snowbluff;15319330]That's awesome. QUOTE]

It is! And our sorcerer, Belvin, was going crazy because he tried to talk to island-dwelling squirrels. That didnt even exist.
Our rogue Joan nearly died the first night we played, and escaped the encounter she was in with one HP to her name.
Another party member shot straight through the chests of two enemy soldiers and left them bloody messes on the floor.

FyreHeart
2013-05-27, 10:57 PM
With Duskblade/Fighter, you wouldn't be able to qualify for Chameleon for a while. Also, Chameleon gives casting.

What's wrong with Warblade? And if it's just the flavor you don't like, then change it. Fluff is mutable, after all. :smallsmile:

Depends what the DM allows me to do, too. Not sure if he'd allow Warblade.