PDA

View Full Version : Bears and their clumsy bear paws

ThreeDSix
2013-05-21, 09:41 PM
Hello Playground!

One of my party members is making a Bear Warrior / Warshaper.
However, he has an awesome greatsword that he really wants to keep swinging even after he's beared it to the world...

To my knowledge, he wouldn't be able to wield the sword as bears don't have thumbs... is there any way we can give him back his thumbs, or grow a tentacle or something?

hisnamehere
2013-05-21, 10:13 PM
He'll be looking for a pair of gloves of man from Savage Species.

Urpriest
2013-05-21, 10:23 PM
A Mouthpick is the coolest option. Lords of Madness. It's a +1 enhancement that can be added to any weapon to let it be wielded in someone's mouth.

eggynack
2013-05-21, 10:27 PM
A Mouthpick is the coolest option. Lords of Madness. It's a +1 enhancement that can be added to any weapon to let it be wielded in someone's mouth.
I'd agree with you, but gloves of man seem like the coolest things ever. I mean, they're called gloves of man. There's nothing better than that. They seem ridiculously over costed at 42,000 GP, so the mouthpick is probably significantly better, but how could you pass up the option to wield the mighty gloves of man?

Edit: Also, the picture is just a pair of gloves with weird wiggly fingers. I don't know what I imagined them to be, or why they'd be any different, but it just makes me giggly. Just imagine a bear wearing them, and wiggling his fingers around like that.

Ravens_cry
2013-05-21, 11:04 PM
And sometimes, sometimes he takes them off and fights with his bear hands.

Marnath
2013-05-21, 11:07 PM

Wouldn't that just change his problem to "How can I keep using my greatsword when I change out of bear form?"

karkus
2013-05-21, 11:52 PM
And sometimes, sometimes he takes them off and fights with his bear hands.

http://f.kulfoto.com/pic/0001/0015/tY6Ey14411.jpg

Averis Vol
2013-05-22, 12:30 AM
theres also the opposable weapon enchant from masters of the wild. lets a monster without thumbs...well, use things like they had thumbs.

Absolutely love the associated picture, its a pissed off owlbear with a longbow and thats what keeps me going through finals this week.

Spuddles
2013-05-22, 12:56 AM
If you have a druid, wizard, or cleric in the party, a casting of Girallon's Blessing (Spell Compendium) will give you a set of arms for 10min/CL.

Ravens_cry
2013-05-22, 01:22 AM
http://f.kulfoto.com/pic/0001/0015/tY6Ey14411.jpg
Heh. Nice. Reminds me of the time a player thought the barefoot tracks the DM described were actually. . . well, I am sure you can guess.

Crasical
2013-05-22, 01:46 AM
Wouldn't that just change his problem to "How can I keep using my greatsword when I change out of bear form?"

Your normal form still has a mouth. I fail to see the problem here. :smallbiggrin:

Also there was a giant wolf in Dark Souls who wielded a fullblade in his mouth, so that's pretty cool.

Raineh Daze
2013-05-22, 02:49 AM
Sounds like this guy will create an unbearable enemy. :smallbiggrin:

Sylthia
2013-05-22, 02:57 AM
Your bear doesn't need thumbs, just buy some Sovereign Glue and paste a couple swords to his paws.

Eurus
2013-05-22, 03:23 AM
Make him a ghost, then give him Master of the Unseen Hand. So it's a ghost bear psychically swinging a sword.

BWR
2013-05-22, 03:28 AM
Dump bear warrior, go for werebear. I had a blast when I did that.

Rubik
2013-05-22, 04:13 AM
Dump bear warrior, go for werebear. I had a blast when I did that.Dump werebearwarrior and go refluffed divine minion. Far less painful that way.

Would that be +2 LA?

ThreeDSix
2013-05-22, 05:20 AM
Mouth pick - Lords of Madness
Gloves of Man - MIC
Opposable enchantment - Masters of the Wild
Girallon's Blessing - Spell Compendium

Thanks! This'll give me something to start with. :)
Retraining and rebuilding isn'tan option and the DM has put some pretty heavy restrictions on Magic items at the moment.
Hopefully we will be able to wrangle something out over the course of the campaign.

Thanks again!

Coidzor
2013-05-22, 06:22 AM

It can transform between that form and a form that's more traditionally wielded by hands/limbs, so he can use it even without a bite attack to replace. I can't remember what if any action is specified for so doing though.

13_CBS
2013-05-22, 06:35 AM
Your normal form still has a mouth. I fail to see the problem here. :smallbiggrin:

Also there was a giant wolf in Dark Souls who wielded a fullblade in his mouth, so that's pretty cool.

Urpriest forgot to mention this, but Mouthpicks can only be wielded if the current form you're in has a bite attack.