PDA

View Full Version : Animal parts pricing

sartho
2013-05-21, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I can't seem to find the search function.

I'm GMing a Pathfinder game; my 1st time btw; and a player likes to skin animals and harvest some of the parts from them, if they're exotic enough.

I make him roll a survival check to determine if he does it successfully, but I'm having trouble coming up with the prices for the various parts.

Is there a resource that has anything like this anywhere? I don't care if it's D&D or PF, just some guidelines for something like this.

Thanks a bunch for anyone who can help.

Arael666
2013-05-22, 06:40 AM
It's more of common sense, really.

With common animals the things you could actualy sell is their meat and their hide. The SRD list meat in food/drinks section:

Meat, chunk of 3 sp 1/2 lb.

For the hide though, It's your ruling. If it were me I'd base the price based on size and quality. A rabbit's hide, i.e. would be more expensive than a goat's hide, despite it's size, because it can be used in fine clothing/accessories.

unseenmage
2013-05-22, 07:49 AM
My only experience is with 3.5 so I don't know how much my advice will carry over...

You could just ask for a craft check and give them the result in animal bits. One to several more checks for them to preserve said bits and again if they want to preserve the bits permanently.

Just be sure not to let looting monsters for their bits become the result of your campaign. Unless that was your intention from the beginning.

If hacking apart their foes becomes a distraction you should definitely enforce some decay times for unpreserved bits. Remember, without refrigeration the shelf life of meats and hides was waaaay shorter. And salt is expensive in a world without the fridge too. Worth it's weight in gold even.