PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Elan's plan in 836...

nogall
2013-05-21, 11:32 PM
Was his plan to "defeat" Tarquin to get him to remarry Elan's mother?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0836.html

This would involve Durkon (as he would need someone to preside over the wedding) and would "sort of" defeat tarquin, cause it would likely mean that Tarquin would see that he could / should be a nice person and forget the whole "legendary evil" thing.

Also, notice Roy's wording:
"But I think in your case, maybe it's better to find that sense of family among people who are good than it is to try to find a sense of good inside your family"

To Elan, this was making him realize that he still has someone good in his family - his mom - and that this sense of good could finally reunite them all. Thus, his "totally awesome idea".

It was obviously not a good plan, but it was in character for someone generally as naive as Elan. And it was maybe a set up by the giant to get a better contrast on the importance of his realization on #899 - that not all things can be fixed by make-believe happy endings.

Thoughts?

PS: sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I don't remember seeing it in any of the official threads.

Bulldog Psion
2013-05-21, 11:42 PM
It seems rather soon for this to be resolved, and rather obvious, too. But then again, it's hard to think of any other reasonable explanation.

EmperorSarda
2013-05-21, 11:52 PM
Well what set off Elan's plan was what Roy said, about finding a sense of good in his family.

I think it is more a redemption thing than anything else.

B. Dandelion
2013-05-22, 12:31 AM
"But I think in your case, maybe it's better to find that sense of family among people who are good than it is to try to find a sense of good inside your family"

To Elan, this was making him realize that he still has someone good in his family - his mom - and that this sense of good could finally reunite them all. Thus, his "totally awesome idea".

I had heard it proposed before that Elan's plan might have been a wedding, but not that particular reasoning for the wording involved. Could be, but two things:

1. Elan was fantasizing about his father and mother remarrying before he was sure Tarquin was evil (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0739.html) (panel five). As he says in 889, it is something he's always wanted. The big "THAT'S IT!" suggests a new idea that has just come to him, which his parents remarrying is not.

2. If he needed Durkon, why was Malack presiding over the ceremony in the fantasy?

davidbofinger
2013-05-22, 02:16 AM
notice Roy's wording:

It seems fairly obvious here that Roy is telling Elan that the Order of the Stick is his family.

To Elan, this was making him realize that he still has someone good in his family - his mom - and that this sense of good could finally reunite them all.

You're suggesting Elan gets a message from Roy's words that is almost exactly the opposite of what Roy was saying. Well, it's Elan, anything's possible I suppose.

Morquard
2013-05-22, 03:05 AM
Highly doubt it.
Read #889 again and especially the stuff he tells Tarquin. He knows he's a horrible person, he knew it since the 200 ft tall flaming letters.

That the illusion went that far in the first place, was because it was an illusion that made everyone ignore reason, same as they suddenly didn't bother with the Empire of Blood anymore.

Since 836 not really more information about Tarquin has been forthcoming that would dramatically change Elan's opinion of him towards the worse. So why would he back then think his Mom and super-evil-Dad marrying is a good idea and now it's a horrible one?

No, also it would be a stupid plan that's totally bound to fail. Making a big deal out of a plan, keeping it secret and then say "Oh, my plan was: let's have cake together. Cake makes everything better!" (sorta :) ) would be rather /facepalm worthy.
I believe the plan will actually be something that will work, maybe not in the way Elan originally imagined, but work and resolve the matter.

archaeo
2013-05-22, 03:43 AM
Highly doubt it.
Read #889 again and especially the stuff he tells Tarquin. He knows he's a horrible person, he knew it since the 200 ft tall flaming letters.

I agree that the marriage plot isn't Elan's secret plan, but I think he was previously much more conflicted about his dad than he is in 889. Look at the goodbye hug in 818. It's not totally impossible that Elan might think that Tarquin just needs some Good-flavored love in his life; he is a simple man-child, after all.

But yeah, I expect Elan's plan is something slightly more effective; getting him to marry his mother doesn't satisfy the criteria in 836, whereby Tarquin is decisively taken down without causing him to look cool. And I have no idea what that plan might be.

Morquard
2013-05-22, 05:58 AM
I agree that the marriage plot isn't Elan's secret plan, but I think he was previously much more conflicted about his dad than he is in 889. Look at the goodbye hug in 818. It's not totally impossible that Elan might think that Tarquin just needs some Good-flavored love in his life; he is a simple man-child, after all.

But yeah, I expect Elan's plan is something slightly more effective; getting him to marry his mother doesn't satisfy the criteria in 836, whereby Tarquin is decisively taken down without causing him to look cool. And I have no idea what that plan might be.
Kill him in his sleep, then replace him with a doppelganger who subverts all the legendary evil Tarquin has done till now before quiting his job and dying a poor sob? No, to evil for Elan.

He somehow has to make sure that Tarquin at most becomes a footnote in history, a failed general, not the genius mastermind behind the three empires. I'm sure Tarquin has contingency plans in place that this becomes known.

Morty
2013-05-22, 06:24 AM
Elan has known that his father is a monster for a while now, yes. However, like he says in #889, until now he's clung to a hope that he can fix his family and thus avoid having to confront his father. The illusion simply made him realize that his family is unfixable, his father is irredeemable and he's going to have to do it the hard way.

I suppose it's possible that the marriage was the plan he'd mentioned, but I'm not so sure. Like B. Dandelion mentioned, he wanted his father to remarry his mother long before that strip, so it wouldn't be a new idea that struck him at that moment.

Filippo
2013-05-22, 06:36 AM
In the last strip, Elan talk about not fighting this father in a panel.
I guess it's a reference to his plan...I mean like in "this illusion does not involve the realization of my plan 'because deep down I don't want to fight him'"

So as always we have to wait and see

Sunken Valley
2013-05-22, 09:02 AM
+ 1 to "we haven't seen the plan". I think we will in a big 4 pager at the start of book 6 or in the next ten strips.

Rakoa
2013-05-22, 09:17 AM
Considering that it wasn't until this point Elan realized he would have to fight Tarquin, does this mean that his original plan in 836 did not involve fighting him?

Snails
2013-05-22, 11:18 AM

It was obviously not a good plan, but it was in character for someone generally as naive as Elan. And it was maybe a set up by the giant to get a better contrast on the importance of his realization on #899 - that not all things can be fixed by make-believe happy endings.

Thoughts?

The fact that Elan's own plan was probably ridiculous is not really a mark against bringing his mom into the game. His mother, after all, seems to have been able to more than stand her ground against Tarquin. It is exactly the kind of thing that Tarquin would never see coming, and could potentially upend the dysfunctional family dynamic that Tarquin seems so comfortable manipulating.

blueblade
2013-05-22, 12:15 PM
Given that:

Elan's plan didn't involve 'defeating' his father
Roy's statement was about 'good' and 'family'
Elan only just realised why this wedding doesn't work and that he has to fight his father
Durkon's puzzled expression in 837 makes him think the plan won't work (and I think he did a Sending to Elan's mum btw)

It's extremely possible this was Elan's plan all along.

nogall
2013-05-22, 12:27 PM
Durkon's puzzled expression in 837 makes him think the plan won't work (and I think he did a Sending to Elan's mum btw)

Good catch, I didn't remember that he had actually told Durkon about this...

As to why he got Malack and not Durkon in his dream, maybe so that Tarquin would feel safer / better about this? or also that Durkon could participate as a guest to the wedding... ?

Snails
2013-05-22, 12:47 PM

Yup. It is also possible we will never know for certain, as Elan has realized the futility before her arrival.

The one thing we should be able to bank on is that if Elan's mother arrives she will have planned...something amazing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html)!

Dwy
2013-05-22, 01:05 PM
I'm with the "We haven't seen Elan's plan yet"-crowd.

But how could the plan come true?
Humiliating Tarquin.
Ruining T's style.
Ruining the Blood/sweat/tears setup.

Tools at Elan's disposal:
Looks similiar to those of Tarquin.
Low level illusions.
Experience with using puns, horrible, horrible puns.
The Order of the Stick.
Possibly one of Durkon's last plot-forwarding moves, off-panel. Sending has been suggested as a possibility.

Now, I'd love to start crafting wild theories, but I feel we are missing at least one key ingredient to the mix, and I strongly suspect Nale of being involved.

Really, Nale is commonly known for his rebellion in the region, and holds a personal grudge against Tarquin that might even be more important to him than his hate towards Elan...

Still, we're missing some key part of the set up. With luck, we'll get it once the OotS and Nale's party clash.

Anatares
2013-05-22, 01:43 PM
Now, I'd love to start crafting wild theories, but I feel we are missing at least one key ingredient to the mix, and I strongly suspect Nale of being involved.

Really, Nale is commonly known for his rebellion in the region, and holds a personal grudge against Tarquin that might even be more important to him than his hate towards Elan...

I would love to see the plan involve Nale. What a twist! Maybe he uses his high Charisma to coerce Nale against their father like you said - Nale would go along with it because he wants his father's kingdom for himself, and it would give him the opportunity (He would think) to stab Elan in the back again. Not knowing that Elan would have something planned against him, as well (They're the same level and Elan's already come close to beating him in a sword duel with his new prestige class).

And Elan's plan would probably work better than anything Nale could come up with anyway; Apart from Nale's plans being ridiculously convoluted, Elan shares his love of tropes and the dramatic with his father, so he has more tools at his disposal for drawing him out into a situation he couldn't resist being a part of. Like the rooftop battle.

Nale as Elan's pawn would be so satisfying. Even if not strictly Good.

Skamandros
2013-05-22, 02:39 PM
You guys are all so close. Elan's sending to his mom was to tell her where to find Nale.

Snails
2013-05-22, 04:23 PM
You guys are all so close. Elan's sending to his mom was to tell her where to find Nale.

I agree that is the likely way it will play out. I am uncertain if that was Elan's original bright idea.

Nale is oozing with resentment against his father, which he sometimes takes out on Elan. What will the appearance of a loving mother precipitate, albeit a loving mother who abandoned him to his father? Hard to predict...

Fish
2013-05-22, 05:32 PM
I'm inclined to think Elan's plan involves his mother somehow, if only because the Giant has twice in this arc shown us what she looks like.

Phantom Thief
2013-05-22, 08:28 PM
It seems like it may have been a good idea to somehow involve Elan's mother, but the main reason I'm doubting this is because Elan never told us the plan. As he himself noted, the fact that we don't know about it till he trys to make it work means that it likely will succeed, or at least have a good chance of doing so. We already know now that Elan can't have any chance of redeeming Tarquin, so most likely his secret plan is indeed an attempt to dethrone or stop him in some way, so that the plan is still useful. A plan we already know is doomed to fail isn''t particularly interesting of a secret reveal.

Morquard
2013-05-22, 08:55 PM
Elan's mother tells all the tabloids in BST what a lousy lover Tarquin was, thereby destroying his reputation completely.

Skamandros
2013-05-22, 09:08 PM
I agree that is the likely way it will play out. I am uncertain if that was Elan's original bright idea.

I think it was, if only because it's the right thing to do.

DaggerPen
2013-05-25, 05:15 AM

*spittake*

Oh my god... I really hope it was this now, because I really, really want to see Nale meeting his mother, even if Nale is a cruel, twisted little... well.

Kish
2013-05-25, 05:35 AM
I think a meeting between Adult Nale and his mother would be far more traumatic for the mother than for Nale.

Ron Miel
2013-05-25, 06:23 AM
This would involve Durkon (as he would need someone to preside over the wedding) ...

Thinking this through, Elan's plan must be to make good people his family, as Roy said. So I think that his plan involves Elan marrying Haley.

AstralFire
2013-05-25, 08:02 AM
I think his plan somehow involves ignoring Tarquin entirely. Demonstrating that Elan's accomplishments are to stay by his friends as support, rather than as center stage, because they are his family. That sort of act would be both dramatically appropriate and ruining to Tarquin's one spot of genre-blindness - that neither is he the main villain, nor Elan the main character. It'd destroy Tarquin's calm, too, I think.

I also suspect that if sending was involved, Ian was involved, as Ian is actually in a position to do something about Tarquin (moreso than any other individual candidate Elan would know, anyway).

It may involve playing Tarquin's lawful nature versus Elan's chaotic, such as lying to Tarquin at a critical moment (which is non-good, but not necessarily evil; it is almost certainly chaotic, however.)

If marriage had been the plan, Durkon would have been the one MCing and there probably would have been reference to Elan's plan failing in this page.

Heksefatter
2013-05-25, 11:21 AM
I once thought that Elan's plan would be to defeat Tarquin by ruining his narrative. I guessed that Roy, who was appearing to be about to call Tarquin a bastard, would maybe strike at the family aspect of Tarquin's story. Maybe convince Tarquin that Elan was not his son.

But I think I was wrong. Elan doesn't destroy narratives. He takes them over or twists them.

That said, I think that somehow the plan will be extremely effective and have something to do with superceding Tarquin's story.

Dwy
2013-05-25, 11:42 AM
Could the plan involve using illusions to make himself appear even more like Tarquin, and counseling the Blood-sweat-tears-team, or the empress of blood in the role of Tarquin? It would be pretty dramatically appropriate if Elan, in Tarquin's moment of victory (LG looks like it is in a winning situation currently), let slip that those 30 or so years of work was ruined without Tarquin getting his fame, or even getting publicly known as the mastermind... I sense that that might make him finally lose his cool.

Edit: Counseling by sending, cast by Durkon off screen previously.

Eldhusgaur
2013-05-25, 01:13 PM
Meeting Tarquin was a huge thing for Elan, so maybe Elan used sending to contact his mom, and tell her to contact Nale.
Tarquin could have told Nale his mother was dead, or something similar, so seeing her could be a huge thing for Nale.
Nale has been going through some character growth, and seeing/meeting his mother (and maybe get a dramatic monologue from her on her needlessly complicated plan to see him again) would change his outlook forever.

AstralFire
2013-05-25, 01:20 PM
Nothing Elan does to Nale would affect Tarquin in any way aside from being prouder of Elan.

Fish
2013-05-28, 05:41 PM
I think it's about getting someone to impersonate his mother, for the dramatic effect it could have upon Tarquin.

Why do I think so?

1. Rich has twice shown us what Elan's mom looks like. I put it to you, the reason is so he can bring in the character and have us recognize her by sight.

2. Haley has had a number of conspicuous encounters with cosmetics during this arc. Makeup -- a way to create a disguise.

3. Tarquin's ring of true seeing cannot penetrate mundane disguises. Illusions won't work but makeup would.

4. "A sense of family in someone who's good" suggests taking a good person and making them seem like family.

Also, let me just note an odd confluence of details. Upon using the Belt of Gender, Roy comments that "if it doesn't say it'll grow hair, it won't." What does Haley buy? Hair growth tonic. Curious.

Rakoa
2013-05-29, 04:04 PM
You've completely sold me on that one, Fish. That is some amazing insight you've had there. Those little itty bitty details add up to...pretty well exactly what you concluded. Well done in noticing them.

Fish
2013-05-29, 07:08 PM
I'll be the first to say my theory is probably wrong. I find the confluence of factors interesting. It has potential. But I'm not putting money on it. :)

Reddish Mage
2013-06-01, 11:02 AM
I think a meeting between Adult Nale and his mother would be far more traumatic for the mother than for Nale.

That assumes that Elan's mother is as sweet, innocent, normal, naive and low-level a person as is suggested by the one panel she appears in + her dream sequence appearance. Should she appear, several of the above adjectives probably do not apply.

Kish
2013-06-01, 11:23 AM
...No, it assumes that she's um...vaguely human. It doesn't matter if she's more powerful than Xykon and wiser than the wisest sage--the news that her darling son grew up to be a vicious serial killer is likely to be devastating.

David Argall
2013-06-01, 09:42 PM
It is quite possible that the strip is meaningless in predicting what will happen to Tarquin. It is merely to show Elan brooding over the subject, and coming up with a plan that falls apart before it can be put into effect.
More likely Elan will have some part in dealing with Tarquin, but it is unknowable at this time how much or how, and we merely have a hint that could refer to anything.
[Durkon's dubious expression is pretty meaningless. Anyone listening to any of Elan's plans about anything is going to be at least dubious, if no outright scornful. We can't tell from this whether this is one of his collections of nonsense or something that will work great.]
We can guess what is in mind here, but it is just a guess.

NZNinja
2013-06-02, 07:48 PM

*spittake*

Oh my god... I really hope it was this now, because I really, really want to see Nale meeting his mother, even if Nale is a cruel, twisted little... well.

I really, really want to see Nale meeting his mother, specifically BECAUSE Nale is a cruel, twisted little... How will his anger, his evil, stand against the withering light of a mother's unconditional love?

Although having two planners of such unfathomable complexity in a confined space will surely overload the information-density limit of the fabric of the OotSverse space-time continuum, creating a new ungated rift.

Or perhaps not.

murph04
2013-06-06, 10:38 PM
Okay, hear me out on this one.

Elan's major problem right now is devising a way of stopping his father without making Tarquin seem like a badass worthy of remembrance. All we really know is that Elan needed Durkon's help setting it up.
I know that a theory that's been floating around is that Elan asked Durkon to send a Sending Message to Elan's mother in hopes of getting her and Tarquin back together. I think the illusion wedding debunked this theory because having it happen for real now would just be a rehash of everything already said.

So who else could Elan have gotten a message to? I think it's none other than that dashing swordsman Julio Scoundrel.
Think about it: Julio is an more than capable fighter (coming 32nd in the Top 100 Swordsmen of the Century) Plus he's more than a match for Tarquin's pun-prowess.

If Julio wins and kills Tarquin then Elan gets what he wants. Tarquin dies not as a badass, but as a filler villain in one of Julio's adventures.

If the far more likely thing happens and Tarquin kills Julio instead then it will serve to give Elan the desire for revenge to kill his mentor's killer (Something Julio himself predicted would happen in comic #392). Even then it still works out in Elan's favor because now Tarquin won't be remembered as a badass, he'll be remembered as the ******* that killed the worlds most beloved adventurer.

I'd also like to point to Star Wars as a framing for Julio's entrance. Tarquin and Elan already parallel Vader and Luke (to the point that the reference it constantly, their first meeting certainly rings a bell). Why not have Julio be Ben Kenobi in this situation? The older mentor that gets killed by the protagonist's father is certainly a role he is capable of filling.

Lastly I want to look at the strip where Elan's plan takes form, #836 (sorry for no links they aren't working for some reason). Roy says "Maybe it's better to find a sense of family in those that are good than finding a sense of good in your family" at which point Elan has his idea. Though he only knew a short time I get the feeling that Elan looks at Julio as the father figure he never had. Julio even gives him his prize rapier, something that he intended to give to his son. So Elan gets the idea to have Julio (who he has a "sense of family in) battle Tarquin ( as he is unable to find a "sense of good" in).

It makes perfect sense because Julio and Tarquin are so similar. Both are masters of narrative structure, both are concerned with legacies, and both have acted as "fathers" to Elan. The only difference is that Elan identifies more with Julio's morals than Tarquin's.

So what do you think? Too crazy, or just crazy enough to work?

Kornaki
2013-06-06, 11:13 PM
Tarquin wants to be killed by Elan because it will be a legendary story told for the ages. Making it more like star wars only helps him in that regard

Bulldog Psion
2013-06-06, 11:23 PM
Well, on cursory examination, I'd say it's just crazy enough to work. Julio Scoundrel is at least a possibility, more so than Elan's mom, at any rate.

HanKhalifa
2013-06-06, 11:31 PM
I agree with Kornaki; if Tarquin takes down Julio and subsequently loses to Elan, that would be damn close to his ideal way of going out: defeat a world-renowned badass and then get taken out by the son who you'd always hoped would be the one to do so.

However, I believe there might be some merit to the "Julio fights Tarquin and wins" scenario. Though, in that case, it seems to me that Elan gets little to no credit, so to speak, for simply orchestrating such an event, and therefore is somewhat cheated out of catharsis.

Honestly, the whole "Elan's secret plan" thing is (and will likely continue to be) one of the hardest-to-predict plot points, so I don't even bother speculating, here or in my head. But, it is interesting to do so. Heck, someone may even end up right.

Eloi
2013-06-06, 11:43 PM
I don't think Julio would agree to come back though, being aware that he would be slain in the role of Obi-Wan, and he said as much.

sengmeng
2013-06-07, 11:48 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say that Elan will somehow defuse his father's plan. I think he thought of a way to make Tarquin less "cool," robbing him of his desire to go through with the whole thing. He can only defeat him via better mastery of narrative concepts, after all.

Edit: Tarquin has never been angry in the strip so far, except when Gannji tried to extort him, and mild annoyance at Nale. Breaking his composure is the key to breaking him. He can't be called defeated if be dies exactly how he wanted to. Maybe Elan will do somehing to make it completely embarrassing to be beaten by him. Given Tarquin's misogyny, maybe it will be putting on the belt of gender changing, so he's beaten by his "daughter" instead of his son. Note: I'm not saying I hate transgendered people. I'm saying Tarquin might.

David Argall
2013-06-07, 12:34 PM
Okay, hear me out on this one.

Elan's major problem right now is devising a way of stopping his father without making Tarquin seem like a badass worthy of remembrance. All we really know is that Elan needed Durkon's help setting it up.
I know that a theory that's been floating around is that Elan asked Durkon to send a Sending Message

So who else could Elan have gotten a message to? I think it's none other than that dashing swordsman Julio Scoundrel.
Think about it: Julio is an more than capable fighter (coming 32nd in the Top 100 Swordsmen of the Century) Plus he's more than a match for Tarquin's pun-prowess.

As already noted, Scoundrel thinks that seeing Elan again could be fatal for him, and while he like Elan he is not a big deal.
But more important, this is the story of the Order of the Stick, and they are to take the role of Superman, not that of Jimmy Olson. The party is to do the great deeds, not the NPCs. Scoundrel has served his purpose in the plot and is unlikely to be seen again, and is even less likely as the rescuing cavalry.

AstralFire
2013-06-07, 02:09 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say that Elan will somehow defuse his father's plan. I think he thought of a way to make Tarquin less "cool," robbing him of his desire to go through with the whole thing. He can only defeat him via better mastery of narrative concepts, after all.

Edit: Tarquin has never been angry in the strip so far, except when Gannji tried to extort him, and mild annoyance at Nale. Breaking his composure is the key to breaking him. He can't be called defeated if be dies exactly how he wanted to. Maybe Elan will do somehing to make it completely embarrassing to be beaten by him. Given Tarquin's misogyny, maybe it will be putting on the belt of gender changing, so he's beaten by his "daughter" instead of his son. Note: I'm not saying I hate transgendered people. I'm saying Tarquin might.

I agree that derailing Tarquin's mastery of the story here is key.

I think his plan somehow involves ignoring Tarquin entirely. Demonstrating that Elan's accomplishments are to stay by his friends as support, rather than as center stage, because they are his family. That sort of act would be both dramatically appropriate and ruining to Tarquin's one spot of genre-blindness - that neither is he the main villain, nor Elan the main character. It'd destroy Tarquin's calm, too, I think.

Ted The Bug
2013-06-07, 04:34 PM
I doubt that's what's going to happen, but I love the idea. Julio is one of my favorite non-main characters by a mile (up there with Shojo and the Oracle), and it'd be awesome to see him make one final appearance, even if he'd probably think that it'd lead to his death.

murph04
2013-06-07, 07:25 PM
Hmm those are all good counters for my Julio theory, but if it turns out I'm right I'm going to do the "My crazy theory was right!" Dance.

I think the thing we need to look at is Durkon, since Elan's plan apparently hinges on him (though probably not anymore in light of recent events). What abilities does Durkon have that haven't been considered yet? I assume it's something we've already seen because it's not like Rich to spring a new power out of nowhere (at least not at climactic battles). Mass Death Ward, Thor's Might, Control Weather, and Wind-walk are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Can anyone think of any others?

Dwy
2013-06-08, 05:26 PM
Off-topic, but possibly related to the plan:

How do you think Ian Starshine feels about Nale?
I mean, Nale is a known rebel in the Empire of Blood, killed the High Priest's "children" and has been wanted across the Western continent ever since.

Basicly, I wonder if Elan could use Nale's old trick's against him, this time by being the imposter himself.

Kish
2013-06-08, 05:44 PM
Off-topic, but possibly related to the plan:

How do you think Ian Starshine feels about Nale?
I mean, Nale is a known rebel in the Empire of Blood, killed the High Priest's "children" and has been wanted across the Western continent ever since.

Basicly, I wonder if Elan could use Nale's old trick's against him, this time by being the imposter himself.
Considering what Ian said about blood, and his stated reason for being certain Elan was as rotten as Tarquin?

Not a chance. Ian would rather believe that Nale's whole estragement from his father is one massive put-on. If someone pointed out to him that Nale killed Malack's children, he would retort that Malack isn't Tarquin's blood and so Tarquin's loyalty to Nale surely trumps his loyalty to Malack--and he might even be right for once.

Qaanol
2013-06-08, 06:11 PM
I'm going with, Elan had Durkon adopt him, so he's legally no longer Tarquin's son.

murph04
2013-06-08, 07:16 PM
we know that Durkon has enough diamond dust for one more resurrection. Maybe Elan is going to let his dad kill him and "fake" his death

Toy Killer
2013-06-09, 07:13 PM
I think it's about getting someone to impersonate his mother, for the dramatic effect it could have upon Tarquin.

Why do I think so?

1. Rich has twice shown us what Elan's mom looks like. I put it to you, the reason is so he can bring in the character and have us recognize her by sight.

2. Haley has had a number of conspicuous encounters with cosmetics during this arc. Makeup -- a way to create a disguise.

3. Tarquin's ring of true seeing cannot penetrate mundane disguises. Illusions won't work but makeup would.

4. "A sense of family in someone who's good" suggests taking a good person and making them seem like family.

Also, let me just note an odd confluence of details. Upon using the Belt of Gender, Roy comments that "if it doesn't say it'll grow hair, it won't." What does Haley buy? Hair growth tonic. Curious.

I can't find the page it was on, but doesn't Durkon cast the break enchantment spell?

Elan promises that Haley can make out with any of the recurring villains after she's turned to stone.

I don't know what i'm trying to point out here, but I feel like there is something in all the subtext of the last hundred pages or so that point out the plan. I think he is going to impersonate Tarquin and just be Elan trying to be Tarquin and let the country fail in it's own accord. I have a feeling that the belt has significance too, but I don't know how it ties in.

murph04
2013-06-30, 01:11 AM
I was just wondering. Most of the theories (heck, even my Juilo one) revolve around Durkon using Sending.
Have we ever actually seen Durkon use sending?

B. Dandelion
2013-06-30, 01:17 AM
I was just wondering. Most of the theories (heck, even my Juilo one) revolve around Durkon using Sending.
Have we ever actually seen Durkon use sending?

Yes. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0733.html)

Cybertoy00
2013-07-24, 12:00 PM
I may have brought this up in another thread, but I have two words which could explain what Elan has in mind;

Unpaid.
Alimony.

if Elan is contacting his mom, that might be the thing that could cripple Tarquin's plot without it being as dramatic as the general wants.

deworde
2013-07-25, 05:18 PM
Okay hear me out on this.

This. I can totally see Tarquin coming back to find Julio Scoundrel posters everywhere. I've wondered if it was going to be this for a while, but everyone was all about the Elan Mom theory.

twa_pehs
2013-07-25, 07:28 PM
A lot of good ideas here and lots that I agree with but for some reason Elans mother does not feel like the answer to me. The parallels between Vader and Luke are a good avenue to explore. Maybe Elan could convince Tarquin it would make a better story to redeem himself and become a good guy? Not sure how Durkon would be involved though.

What also occurs to me is that he could try to replace Tarquin with Nale. Nale in Tarquin's shoes would likely be incompetent and unravel all that his group had accomplished. This is extremely difficult to see happening due to the problems of Nale being convinced of a plan by Elan and having to put aside his own ego to pretend to be his father among many others. Durkons involvement is hard to see with this one too.

Neither ideas are likely but I thought I'd put them out there.

Klear
2013-07-26, 03:20 AM
The parallels between Vader and Luke are a good avenue to explore. Maybe Elan could convince Tarquin it would make a better story to redeem himself and become a good guy? Not sure how Durkon would be involved though.

Unlikely. Tarquin's priority is living a life of luxury, a good story is a secondary bonus. And he knows that if he turned into a good guy, not only would he likely have to forsake all the power and riches he has now, but he'd be very likely to die in Elan's arms very soon afterwards.

Lemarc
2013-07-26, 03:51 AM
Why exactly does Elan care about humiliating Tarquin before killing him? Pure contrarianism? Dead is dead, who cares if he's remembered as a badass?

Klear
2013-07-26, 03:53 AM
Why exactly does Elan care about humiliating Tarquin before killing him? Pure contrarianism? Dead is dead, who cares if he's remembered as a badass?

He's a hero and he doesn't want the bad guy to win.

Lemarc
2013-07-26, 03:58 AM
He's a hero and he doesn't want the bad guy to win.
A hero would kill the man before he can commit any more evil deeds, not let him carry on being a rapacious murdering bastard while he figures out a way to feel like he's "won".

Kish
2013-07-26, 05:22 AM
Dead is dead, who cares if he's remembered as a badass?
Anyone who is concerned about Tarquin's prediction of other people trying to emulate him coming true?