PDA

View Full Version : PF best use of Deceptive Exchange

AsheItachi
2013-05-21, 11:51 PM
Deceptive Exchange
You trick an adversary into grabbing an object you hand them, even in the midst of combat.
Prerequisites: Int 13, Combat Expertise, Improved Feint.
Benefit: If you successfully feint an opponent, you can trick that opponent into accepting a one-handed object you are holding instead of denying that opponent its Dexterity bonus to AC against your next attack. The opponent must have appendages capable of holding the object you offer, and it must have one such appendage free to take the object.
Special: An alchemist who has the delayed bomb alchemist discovery can use this feat to hand an enemy a delayed bomb. Such a delayed bomb detonates at the end of the alchemist's turn. If the bomb is in a creature's square at the end of the alchemist's turn, the bomb deals that creature a direct hit.

:smalltongue: How would one use this to put a magical item into an enemies hands?

Waker
2013-05-22, 12:11 AM
Well, aside from the obvious Alchemist Bomb option, I suppose it might be funny to hand an enemy a cursed weapon.
Alternatively you could do something comical like handing them a rope coated with sovereign glue. What's attached to the other end? A weighted object (boulder, anvil, piano) that is precariously placed near a ledge.

AsheItachi
2013-05-22, 12:14 AM
Well, aside from the obvious Alchemist Bomb option, I suppose it might be funny to hand an enemy a cursed weapon.
Alternatively you could do something comical like handing them a rope coated with sovereign glue. What's attached to the other end? A weighted object (boulder, anvil, piano) that is precariously placed near a ledge.

:smallbiggrin: lol well since its in my characters hand to begin with it has to not affect me

Waker
2013-05-22, 12:24 AM
For cursed items, just make your save well beforehand and hold on to it for later. For the glue, that's where universal solvent comes in.

Dayaz
2013-05-22, 12:49 AM
If you can find a way to become immune to fire, you could always hand them a piece of paper with an explosive rune... or a whole book of explosive runes opened to a random page.

By logic they would look at the page to see what was on it, then BOOM

TuggyNE
2013-05-22, 01:01 AM
If you can find a way to become immune to fire, you could always hand them a piece of paper with an explosive rune... or a whole book of explosive runes opened to a random page.

By logic they would look at the page to see what was on it, then BOOM

Clever, but you actually need to be immune to force, not fire.

Waker
2013-05-22, 01:36 AM
The least silly option that I can think of is giving the enemy an object with a contact poison. Your defense is to wear gloves.

Fyermind
2013-05-22, 02:09 AM
Many cursed items in 3.5 at least could be handed to a character who takes them as a means of getting rid of them. A bag of loadstones was basically the funniest thing ever to give to a wizard. (Eat encumbrance spell failure while you try desperately to remove your spell component pouch I hid the loadstones in)

Slipperychicken
2013-05-22, 12:08 PM
Cast Shrink Item on something nasty (contact poison/lava/fire/sovereign glue), use the clothlike option, dismiss it after you hand it to him.

Now, if this were a modern game, I'd just suggest a live grenade.

maximus25
2013-05-22, 12:25 PM
1. Hold a touch spell charge in your hand.
2. Give them something.
3. Hands touch, spell discharges
4. ?????????
5. Profit

Slipperychicken
2013-05-22, 12:54 PM
2. Give them something.
4. ?????????
5. Profit

Give them a high-five.

The Random NPC
2013-05-22, 03:09 PM
2. Give them something.
4. ?????????
5. Profit

Does't work, your hand first touches the object, and thus discharges harmlessly. Unless, of course you are a Magus, but then you would be handing them your weapon.

TuggyNE
2013-05-22, 04:33 PM
Does't work, your hand first touches the object, and thus discharges harmlessly. Unless, of course you are a Magus, but then you would be handing them your weapon.

If it's a spell with a target of "Creature touched" or similar, I'd think an object would simply be unable to trigger this. (Also, nothing stops you from casting a spell with one hand empty, the other hand carrying some minor object, and then holding the charge in the hand that already carries the object.)

The Random NPC
2013-05-22, 08:07 PM
If it's a spell with a target of "Creature touched" or similar, I'd think an object would simply be unable to trigger this. (Also, nothing stops you from casting a spell with one hand empty, the other hand carrying some minor object, and then holding the charge in the hand that already carries the object.)

Unfortunately Holding a Charge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat) makes no distinction, if you touch anyone or anything, you lose the charge. Magus get the ability to hold a weapon while holding a charge, but I don't know of anything else that will let you do so. If you hold the charge in a hand that already carries an object, it dissipates harmlessly, as you would be touching something.
EDIT: Technically, the charge would be discharged, but often that means the same as dissipate.

TuggyNE
2013-05-22, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately Holding a Charge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat) makes no distinction, if you touch anyone or anything, you lose the charge.

True, sadly. (I'd been looking in Spell Descriptions, which doesn't really state one way or another.)

Magus get the ability to hold a weapon while holding a charge, but I don't know of anything else that will let you do so. If you hold the charge in a hand that already carries an object, it dissipates harmlessly, as you would be touching something.

Hmm, something to add to the list of PF changes; in 3.5, so far as I know, there was no particular reason to assume that touching an object before you start casting automatically discharges it, and even PF RAW doesn't require that. Instead, FAQ/errata strongly implies it by analogy. (It also more strongly implies that you hold the charge in a particular limb, which isn't necessarily entirely sensible either.)

NNescio
2013-05-27, 04:30 AM
Would handing someone a quiver of holy/unholy/axiomatic/anarchic arrows count as them wielding it?

gartius
2013-05-27, 05:17 AM
Just going to leave this here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/trap-the-soul)
bonus points if its a powerful creature from another plane

Kudaku
2013-05-27, 05:51 AM

While the rules are hazy on this, I'd argue that any item you held before you cast a touch spell does not count as an item touched while holding the charge.

Otherwise the classic wizard is constantly burning touch spells into his staff, gloves, and so on.

Of course, this could also lead to the wizard that enters the dungeon stark naked "in order to maintain my conductivity".

marcielle
2013-05-27, 07:40 AM
Offer them your hand, after casting a touch spell...
Offer them a word activated tree token.
Have your Druid turn into something tiny and offer them your Druid.