PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Price on this item?

Maquise
2013-05-22, 12:53 AM
Sword of the Four Elements

Aura moderate evocation; CL 12th(?)

This +2 Longsword has a rather ornate pommel; a notched wheel with four jewels set into it. They are a ruby, an emerald, a sapphire, and a pearl. By adjusting the wheel so one of the jewels is secured directly beneath the hilt, the wielder can give the blade one of the following properties: Flaming, Frost, Corrosive, Shocking. The blade shimmers visibly in relation to the property in question. Adjusting the wheel is a move action.

ThirdEmperor
2013-05-22, 01:02 AM
I'd treat that as a plus two enchantment. It's more or less sure to deal it's extra damage through any sort of elemental resistances and possibly an extra 50% on top of that. If you think that would raise the price a little too much, maybe consider making adjusting the wheel a free or swift action?

Maquise
2013-05-22, 01:36 AM
How would making the wheel change a free or swift action lower the price? I'm just curious, as to try to understand the rules better.

Keneth
2013-05-22, 02:42 AM
I wouldn't make it a free action, unless you can randomly spin the wheel. I'd say this is a good candidate for a +2 bonus. Caster Level 12th is fine too. Consider adding Elemental Spell to crafting prerequisites.

Gildedragon
2013-05-22, 04:24 AM
~14,000gp
Reasoning (uses 3.5 materials but its close enough I think): Putting it on the pommel sounds like an augment crystal. Lesser energy assault crystals do the same damage as the standard enchantments (1d6)

So it's 4 crystals mushed into 1, but only 1 may be used at a time

So if all 4 properties were on it'd be something like

3+2.25+3* (3x75% for the first ability and 3x50% for subsequent abilities as per adding related abilities for items that use up no body slots)

or

3+4.5x3 (3x150% per ability for items that use up a body slot (here counting the weapon's only augment crystal slot as a body slot))
for something between: 8.25 to 16.5 for all abilities active.

As it costs 12 to get all the items separately: 8.25 is too cheap, thus we recalculate for a price between 12 and 16.5 for all abilities active.

Swapping crystals would cost an FRA (2 move actions) so you cut down the time needed in half (provided the crystals are already at hand)

A similar action-boosting effect is the difference between a handy haversack and a bag of holding half normal capacity. As BoH's price increases roughly linearly with its capacity we can ballpark that a BoH that holds what a HH is 1Kgp-ish, so the price difference is about 1Kgp for the quickness, with a 50% increase.

So I'd price it around 13,500gp-ish maybe 14,000gp to make it a round number. Which is more than the difference between a +1 and a +3 weapon (16Kgp); but then again a standard augment crystal is less than the difference between a +1 and a +2 weapon (6Kgp)

Edit: The 14,000gp estimate is further solidified by the cost of a command word body-slot occupying item of Hustle (Level 2 Power x Level 4 Manifester x 1800) for 14,400gp, which is comparable to the overall benefit of this gem

*units in Kgp