PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Aleax and NPCs

Thurbane
2013-05-22, 02:23 AM
If it's written into the backstory of an NPC that it has defeated an Aleax (BoED) of itself, and has thus gained the relevant abilities (+2 Wis, +1 Initiative, +2 to AC and Spell Resistance), would it be worth a CR increase?

If so, would CR+1 sound about right?

Cheers - T

Psyren
2013-05-22, 02:37 AM
I'd say those abilities are barely worth an adjustment. The only one I think would change the difficulty of the NPC would be the spell resistance, and then only if it was 10+ HD at the time it killed the Aleax. (It's not like SR 5 is terribly noticeable after all.)

So to answer your question, I'd say 0 CR adjustment for a 9 HD or less NPC, +1 CR above that.

Runestar
2013-05-22, 04:30 AM
For the same +1cr, you could be enjoying the benefits of a mineral warrior or feral template instead.

While it also depends on the NPC, I think that for most builds, that represents only a minor improvement in actual gameplay, and wouldn't warrant any cr-increase.

Vaz
2013-05-22, 06:19 AM
On a PC Cleric, who would gain additional spell slots per day, better armour on top of their AC and an innate spell resistance, it's not too bad.

Those benefits are gained by a cleric casting Owl's Wisdom, A +2 Ring of Deflection, and having some form of spell resistance. They're unlikely to up the Challenge rating at all.

Jack_Simth
2013-05-22, 07:17 AM
If it's written into the backstory of an NPC that it has defeated an Aleax (BoED) of itself, and has thus gained the relevant abilities (+2 Wis, +1 Initiative, +2 to AC and Spell Resistance), would it be worth a CR increase?

If so, would CR+1 sound about right?

Cheers - T
Treat it as a +2 Periapt of Wisdom, a +2 Ring of Protection, the matching Spell Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#spellResistance) armor property, and 1/3 of a +2 Gloves of Dexterity. Deduct that total from the useful portion of the NPC's wealth, and then replace it with gems (as the players can't loot the divine spark).

There - exactly +0 CR.