PDA

View Full Version : What magic items

gr8bookworm
2013-05-22, 06:36 AM
I'm totally a noob at Magic items. Building a 4th level Domain Wizard, 5400 GP to spend on m equipment and max 50% on one item.

What should I get????

Katana1515
2013-05-22, 09:33 AM
Ring of protection +1 2000gp
Natural armour amulet +1 2000gp
Cloak of resistance+1 1000gp
400 spare change (always useful) or scribe some scrolls
alternatively drop one/two of the above for more money spent on either learning new spells or scribing scrolls to give you some useful contingency spells when you need them. spells like comprehend languages make good scrolls.
obviously aim to get INT booster as soon as possible.
Hope that helps! (also this is a fairly generic list, if you have more specific role in mind i suppose other items may be useful like a cloak of elvenkind for an infiltrator wizard or somesuch)

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-05-22, 09:50 AM
Hm... Katana1515 gave some good beginners and basic all around items. I'd drop the natural armor because it's not as much needed. As a wizard, you shouldn't be getting hit too much. I'd get some alchemical items, like tanglefoot bags and maybe some others. Standard mundane gear (collapsible pole, marbles, laterns, torches) are also good.

For the magical items, the cloak of resistance is a good starter, but I'd suggest the circlet of mages later, because of its spell usage power. A few eternal wands of spells like nerveskitter or charm person are good, allowing you to not have to waste your spell slots. Hand of the Mage gives you infinite Mage Hands, and that's nifty. For now, a pearl of power 1st level might be possible. Basically, you want to be able to get as many spells as possible. Later, buy metamagic rods.

cerin616
2013-05-22, 10:59 AM
Handy haversack

I don't leave home without one.

Darrin
2013-05-22, 12:33 PM
I'm totally a noob at Magic items. Building a 4th level Domain Wizard, 5400 GP to spend on m equipment and max 50% on one item.

What should I get????

Consult with Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101). Entire contents of a Type I Haversack is about 5700 GP, although that would leave you without any budget for weapons/armor.

For more wizard-specific advice, some cheapy-but-goody items:

Head:

Headband of Conscious Effort (2000 GP, MIC). 1/day make a Concentration check instead of a Fort save.

Face:

Spellsight Spectacles (2500 GP, MIC). +5 competence bonus on Spellcraft and UMD checks made to decipher scrolls.

Third Eye Freedom (2600 GP, MIC). 1/day, freedom of movement for 1 round as an immediate action.

Third Eye Clarity (3000 GP, MIC). 1/day, negate confused, dazed, fascinated, or stunned as an immediate action.

Throat:

Amber Amulet of Vermin, Wasp (800 GP, MIC). Flying mount offers 10 rounds of flight 1/day.

Amulet of Tears (2300 GP, MIC). Up to 36 temp HP per day.

Amulet of Toxin Delay (400 GP, MIC). Delays it only two rounds, but since you can activate it as an immediate action, you can immediately supercede a Fort roll you've got time to get out your antitoxin (+5 alchemical bonus).

Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500 GP, MIC). You're squishy and do not belong in melee. As a swift action, move up to half your speed so you can get yourself out of a tight spot.

Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage (500 GP, MIC). This is mostly useful for summoning spells, allowing you to cast them as a standard action. Only works 1/day, but sometimes you really, really need to deploy a meatbag with only a standard action. If you need something more than 1/day, consider saving up for some Golden Desert Honey (300 GP, Complete Mage), an optional material component that can also speed up summons to one standard action.

Enduring Amulet (1500 GP, MIC). Continuous endure elements effect, and as an immediate action, resist up to 30 points of fire or cold damage per day.

Torso:

Dispelling Chord (1000 GP, MIC). You may not have dispel magic yet, but there are a couple 2nd-level "lesser" versions: arcane turmoil (Complete Mage) and dispelling touch (PHBII).

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, MIC). +5 competence bonus on *any* Concentration check, not just for spellcasting.

Shoulders:

Cloak of Elemental Protection (1000 GP, MIC). 1/day immediate action to gain energy resistance 10 to the energy of your choice. This is a good "basic" item stack on additional "shoulderish" enchantments, such as deflection/resistance bonuses or +2/+4/6 enhancements to Charisma.

Arms:

Armband of Elusive Action (800 GP, MIC). 1/day negate an AoO.

Hands:

Arcanist's Gloves (500 GP, MIC). Get another magic missile, get another 2 hours out of alarm, etc.

Gloves of the Starry Sky (1100 GP, MIC). Light at will, and you can sacrifice a prepared spell or spontaneous spell slot to cast magic missile 3/day.

Ring:

Ring of the Four Winds (2000 GP, MIC). 4/day, immediate action to get a +2 deflection bonus or feather fall.

Waist:

Healing Belt (750 GP, MIC). Astoundingly, horrenodusly, stupendously underpriced.

Feet:

Anklet of Translocation (1400 GP, MIC). 2/day, swift action to teleport 10'. Good way to get out of a grapple or get to a safe spot to cast.

Steadfast Boots (1400 GP, MIC). Do you carry a quarterstaff? That counts as a two-handed weapon, so wearing these boots allows you to treat it as readied against a charge attack, and you get double damage if someone does charge you.

Held/Other:

Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC). Activate any spell up to 2nd level as a free action (attach it to a pocket containing ammo or spell components). Or attach it to a weapon keyed to activate whenever it touches "someone else" to turn it into a poor man's spell-storing weapon.

Hammersphere (1500 GP, MIC). "Fire and forget", and it's a [force] effect so it works against incorporeal/ethereal opponents.

Pearl of Power, 1st (1000 GP, DMG). Always useful to get back another 1st level spell. If the party meatbags keep requesting a specific buff over and over again, you can try asking them to "pay" for the use of that spell slot by paying for a pearl of power.

Scrying Shard (1350 GP, MIC). It's not entirely clear if the designers intended it, but it looks by RAW that this allows any character of any class to cast scrying. The intent may have been that this item can be used as a focus for anyone who can already cast scrying, but... the text isn't clear, so you may want to ask your DM to clarify this one.

Sphere of Awakening (1800 GP, MIC). The ultimate wake up call for anyone on watch. If you have an barbarians in the party, it also eliminates fatique/exhuastion.

Talisman of the Disk (500 GP, MIC). Cast Tenser's floating disk at will. If you have a familiar that can speak command words, you can have it wear the talisman and activate it, letting you "ride along" as a sidecar while your familiar moves, so you can do a full-round action and still move or save your move action for something else.

cerin616
2013-05-22, 12:41 PM
Consult with Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101). Entire contents of a Type I Haversack is about 5700 GP, although that would leave you without any budget for weapons/armor.

Oh man is that beautiful. I might just start adding these premade haversacks as options in my shops. (alongside plain empty ones of course)

Rubik
2013-05-22, 12:44 PM
Ring of protection +1 2000gp
Natural armour amulet +1 2000gp
Cloak of resistance+1 1000gp
400 spare change (always useful) or scribe some scrolls
alternatively drop one/two of the above for more money spent on either learning new spells or scribing scrolls to give you some useful contingency spells when you need them. spells like comprehend languages make good scrolls.
obviously aim to get INT booster as soon as possible.
Hope that helps! (also this is a fairly generic list, if you have more specific role in mind i suppose other items may be useful like a cloak of elvenkind for an infiltrator wizard or somesuch)Don't bother with the ring or the amulet. +2 to AC for 4,000 gp is a horrible, horrible deal until much later levels. The cloak of resistance isn't too bad, since saving throws are REALLY important, but if you want AC you can get +4 through an at-will item of Mage Armor for the price of either the ring OR the amulet.

If I were you, I'd drop 2k for a handy haversack, 1k for a cloak of resistance, and use the remainder for your spellbook. I believe there's an optimization handbook for spellbooks somewhere around here...

Vizzerdrix
2013-05-22, 02:21 PM
Amber Amulet of Vermin, Wasp (Dungeon Master's Guide)
masterwork buckler (Player's Handbook)
+1 spiked gauntlet (get eager and warning on it as soon as you can) (Player's Handbook + Magic Item Compendium)
Healing Belt (at least 1. More is better) (Also Magic Item Compendium)

Depending on your wisdom modifier, 1 to 3 jars of shapesand. This stuff is better than some class features, if you're clever. (Sandstorm)

Use the rest to expand your spellbook.

herrhauptmann
2013-05-22, 02:22 PM
Don't bother with the ring or the amulet. +2 to AC for 4,000 gp is a horrible, horrible deal until much later levels. The cloak of resistance isn't too bad, since saving throws are REALLY important, but if you want AC you can get +4 through an at-will item of Mage Armor for the price of either the ring OR the amulet.

If I were you, I'd drop 2k for a handy haversack, 1k for a cloak of resistance, and use the remainder for your spellbook. I believe there's an optimization handbook for spellbooks somewhere around here...

You might want to give him the price breakdown on that Mage Armor item, and remind him to run it by the DM.

For that 4k (ring and amulet) I'd suggest a headband of intellect +2. Granted, this DOES mean you'd have to wait a little to buy it since those are 4k, so get the haversack and save the other 2k for a rainy day.
Unlike warriors, you can get away with saving all your spare cash for an item, warriors need their gear asap.

gr8bookworm
2013-05-22, 10:43 PM
Thanks all- plenty to start with there