PDA

View Full Version : Scrolls and UMD - Appropriate Casting Stat

RCgothic
2013-05-22, 07:25 AM
From the SRD:

Use a Scroll
If you are casting a spell from a scroll, you have to decipher it first. Normally, to cast a spell from a scroll, you must have the scroll’s spell on your class spell list. Use Magic Device allows you to use a scroll as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. The DC is equal to 20 + the caster level of the spell you are trying to cast from the scroll. In addition, casting a spell from a scroll requires a minimum score (10 + spell level) in the appropriate ability. If you don’t have a sufficient score in that ability, you must emulate the ability score with a separate Use Magic Device check (see above).

Which is the appropriate ability? Casting stat is given by class, not spell or type (arcane or divine).

Diarmuid
2013-05-22, 09:07 AM
That part only applies if you are of a casting class that normally could cast the spell on the scroll.

Example: Arcane Scroll of Animate Dead, CL7

A wizard or sorceror could automatically activate the scroll if they have an Int or Cha respectively of 14 or higher and their own caster level is 7 or higher. If the same Wiz or Sor with casting stat of 14 or higher did not have a CL of 7 or higher, they would have to make a Caster Level check to cast the spell from the scroll properly. If the Wiz or Sorc had a CL of 7, but for some reason didnt have a 14 Int/Cha, then they would have to resort to activating the scroll via UMD.

A Bard or Warmage, while being an arcane caster, does not have Animate Dead on their spell list and so it doesnt matter what their casting stat is or what it's value is as they can only activate the scroll with a UMD check of 27.

A cleric, while having Animate Dead on their spell list, is not an arcane caster and thus could not activate the scroll with the same UMD check the Bard or Warmage would need.

Chronos
2013-05-22, 09:30 AM
UMD still requires that you either have the appropriate stat, or fake it with another UMD roll.

It's not made explicit in the rules, but I would rule that for a spell on the wiz/sor list, you could qualify with either Int or Cha, whichever is higher.

jokeaccount
2013-05-22, 09:57 AM
UMD still requires that you either have the appropriate stat, or fake it with another UMD roll.

It's not made explicit in the rules, but I would rule that for a spell on the wiz/sor list, you could qualify with either Int or Cha, whichever is higher.

Nope this is not true. If you want to houserule it like this that's ok but the point of using UMD to cast a spell from a scroll in itself is the only requirement. Think about it: I succeed in using the magic device (i.e scroll in that case) ergo I activate it which makes the spell go off. That is the cycle nothing more is required

RCgothic
2013-05-22, 11:03 AM
I'm still confused. Why would it mention the appropriate casting stat in the UMD section if it were only talking about casters activating the scroll normally?

Curmudgeon
2013-05-22, 12:46 PM
Which is the appropriate ability? Casting stat is given by class, not spell or type (arcane or divine).
Any appropriate spellcasting ability will suffice. Thus a scroll which contains a Sorcerer/Wizard spell could be activated using either CHA (Sorcerer) or INT (Wizard), and a Cleric/Favored Soul spell could be activated using either WIS (Cleric) or CHA (Favored Soul). The scroll isn't tied to the actual stat used by the spellcaster who scribed it, and Use Magic Device is just simulating the process of spell completion adequately to get the device to activate. So, with UMD, you pick any spellcasting ability which could apply — generally the one which works best for your character.

The Use Magic Device rules are for activating items without being a spellcaster. If you are a spellcaster, there are different rules which are dependent on the actual spellcasting stat(s) you have because of your spellcasting class(es).