PDA

View Full Version : Can we make Clockwork Armor not suck?

unseenmage
2013-05-22, 08:10 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a

Clockwork Armor
Is it 3.0 or 3.5?
It reads like it might be 3.0, if so what should we do to make it more 3.5?
Is there a way to simplify that laundry list of negatives?

What would be the best armor enhancements to put on it?
What plus are the 'clockwork' enhancement it has worth for that process?
Is there an enhancement to give the wearer more speed?

As a magic item will it resize if I strap it on a golem?
What if I want to put it on an Effigy of a nonhumanoid monster?

Thanks regardless playgrounders.

Prime32
2013-05-22, 08:38 AM
Is it 3.0 or 3.5?
It reads like it might be 3.0, if so what should we do to make it more 3.5? It's Eberron. Eberron is a 3.5 setting.

Easiest way to get around the weaknesses is to make it dwarvencraft (for better hardness) and have it worn by someone immune to cold.

Eslin
2013-05-22, 08:40 AM
It's 3.5
It's still 3.5
Needs heavy armour proficiency to use, screws up when you take frost damage, can be directly attacked. Fix the first by being proficient, fix the second by being immune to frost, fix the third by using enhancements, spells and powers to increase health and hardness.

Whatever is appropriate to your situation - it's heavy armour, so it'll usually be being used by someone who expects to go toe to toe.
There is no 'clockwork' enhancement - clockwork armour is very complicated, but follows the same rules as full plate or chain shirt (despite being quite expensive to make). So if you enchant it, you're starting at +1.
Probably, check the MiC.
It's armour, so no.
It'll work if the monster is medium, which the armour is presumed to be. But you could just make bigger armour, it'd cost more.

Regarding the title - used properly, clockwork armor is very, very good.

unseenmage
2013-05-22, 08:43 AM
There is no 'clockwork' enhancement - clockwork armour is very complicated, but follows the same rules as full plate or chain shirt (despite being quite expensive to make). So if you enchant it, you're starting at +1.

My apologies, I suppose meant to ask how much does the clockwork quality of this armor count towards the epic item limit?

qwertyu63
2013-05-22, 09:26 AM
My apologies, I suppose meant to ask how much does the clockwork quality of this armor count towards the epic item limit?

He's saying that it doesn't count towards it at all.

unseenmage
2013-05-22, 09:31 AM
He's saying that it doesn't count towards it at all.

But it does/should...

From the article at the bottom:
CL 11th; Craft Construct, Craft Magical Arms and Armor; Price 27,250 gp; Cost 18,625 gp + 690 XP.

Yes pluses will start at +1 but it is my understanding that there's still a limit to how much you can enhance a magic item before it's cost is considered epic.

A Dagger of Venom for example has the Venom quality which is effectively a +2 for pricing purposes in this regard. (if I remember correctly, AFB at the moment)

Deophaun
2013-05-22, 09:53 AM
Easiest way to get around the weaknesses is to make it dwarvencraft (for better hardness) and have it worn by someone immune to cold.
Don't think cold immunity does anything. It freezes if you fail a saving throw against a cold-based attack, not if you take damage from a cold-based attack.

DeusMortuusEst
2013-05-22, 10:09 AM
Don't think cold immunity does anything. It freezes if you fail a saving throw against a cold-based attack, not if you take damage from a cold-based attack.

If you are immune to something, do you really have to roll a save for it? I don't think so, but I'm not sure what the rules say.

Deophaun
2013-05-22, 10:14 AM
If you are immune to something, do you really have to roll a save for it?
If you're wearing this armor, you do. Immunity simply means that you are not harmed by it. However, this effect isn't applied to you, it's applied to the clockwork armor, which then affects you. So yes, you need to save.

Eslin
2013-05-22, 11:01 AM
'The hydraulics are frozen solid by any cold-based attack if the wearer's saving throw fails'

You don't make saves against attacks you are immune to, you don't roll attacks against a foe your attack can't hit and you don't roll to see if your crit confirms against a foe immune to critical hits.

Flickerdart
2013-05-22, 11:09 AM
Is the thing actually an armor though? It grants an armor bonus to AC, but so do a number of things that aren't armors. It has no ACP or ASF for anyone proficient with it, which is not the normal behavior of armors. It seems like rather than enchanting the thing itself, you'd have to wear padded armor and enchant that.

Juntao112
2013-05-22, 11:14 AM
Can't you just use oil in the hydraulics?

Eslin
2013-05-22, 11:18 AM
Is the thing actually an armor though? It grants an armor bonus to AC, but so do a number of things that aren't armors. It has no ACP or ASF for anyone proficient with it, which is not the normal behavior of armors. It seems like rather than enchanting the thing itself, you'd have to wear padded armor and enchant that.

It's specified to be armour over and over - it just seems to have no limit on dexterity or any penalties on checks if you are proficient.

ericgrau
2013-05-22, 11:21 AM
But it does/should...

CL 11th; Craft Construct, Craft Magical Arms and Armor; Price 27,250 gp; Cost 18,625 gp + 690 XP.

Yes pluses will start at +1 but it is my understanding that there's still a limit to how much you can enhance a magic item before it's cost is considered epic.

A Dagger of Venom for example has the Venom quality which is effectively a +2 for pricing purposes in this regard. (if I remember correctly, AFB at the moment)
Anything over 200,000 gp becomes epic, yes. But this is highly unlikely on armor. Even at +10 equivalent you're only looking at 127,250 gp. You have plenty of room for other flat cost enchantments. Weapons are another story, since they hit 200k on enhancements alone.

Weapons or armor that reach +6 actual enhancement, or +11 equivalent enhancement get their costs increased ten-fold. But an item that reaches epic merely for breaking the 200k limit does not increase in cost. It only requires an epic feat to craft and that's it.

lord_khaine
2013-05-22, 11:33 AM
You don't make saves against attacks you are immune to, you don't roll attacks against a foe your attack can't hit and you don't roll to see if your crit confirms against a foe immune to critical hits.

Actualy yes you do, even if you are immune to cold damage, then you would still have to save against all cold-based spells that hit you, you would just be able to ignore the resulting damage.

Still, the solution here is not cold immunity, its either a firebased attack you can do inside a frozen armor, or else something that will prevent you from ever failing a save, like Warblade levels.

Eslin
2013-05-22, 11:38 AM
Do we have an actual ruling on this? Making failing saves never happen is a fine alternative, but I can't see a reason a construct would roll a save against poison (for example).

Curmudgeon
2013-05-22, 12:54 PM
Do we have an actual ruling on this? Making failing saves never happen is a fine alternative, but I can't see a reason a construct would roll a save against poison (for example).
If the Construct had anything, such as a symbiote or graft, which could be damaged by poison, the Construct still has to make those rolls. If you're immune to fire but you're wearing any gear, your gear still has a chance of catching on fire and thus you're required to roll a save on every fire-based attack just for that eventuality.

Immunity means you can't be harmed. It doesn't mean you're exempted from the game mechanics which require you roll saving throws.

unseenmage
2013-05-22, 01:21 PM
Anything over 200,000 gp becomes epic, yes. But this is highly unlikely on armor. Even at +10 equivalent you're only looking at 127,250 gp. You have plenty of room for other flat cost enchantments. Weapons are another story, since they hit 200k on enhancements alone.

Weapons or armor that reach +6 actual enhancement, or +11 equivalent enhancement get their costs increased ten-fold. But an item that reaches epic merely for breaking the 200k limit does not increase in cost. It only requires an epic feat to craft and that's it.

Thank you ericgrau and Eslin for your thorough responses.

So far the best enhancement I can find for it is the Called enhancement (MIC 9). Possible the Speed enhancement too but I thought I remembered there's a better version in a more obscure place... I just can't find it!

Friv
2013-05-22, 02:01 PM
It's worth noting that, despite the two weaknesses, this is actually an ungodly powerful piece of armor for the price.

1) It provides the benefits of full plate with none of the drawbacks of full plate - doesn't slow you down, no armor check penalty, no maximum Dex bonus.
2) It provides a +4 bonus to two abilities, which would normally cost 32,000 GP and two extra item slots. That bonus is also a circumstance bonus, so it stacks with Enhancement bonuses to be even better.
3) It boosts your movement speed.

That's a lot of good stuff for 27,000.

There are the two drawbacks - freezing up under cold attacks, and being attackable as an object. On the other hand, that's a hundred HP of damage not being dealt to the wearer. I would think the best use of this thing is with a very high Reflex save, and a way to easily escape confinement for if it finally breaks.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-22, 02:12 PM
Invest in a cloak of resistance +5, and look into self repairing materials for construction. Freedom of movement wouldn't hurt ether.

Green Leviathan
2013-05-22, 02:56 PM
Could you construct one of these things out of Aurorum? the modifier is just a flat 4,000 and can be added to weapons, sheilds, and armor.

unseenmage
2013-05-22, 03:15 PM
Could you construct one of these things out of Aurorum? the modifier is just a flat 4,000 and can be added to weapons, sheilds, and armor.

Probably not, but I bet I could hit it with a set of Permanency-ed Augment Object and Hardening spells!

CIDE
2013-05-22, 04:32 PM
Make it out of Riverine. +2,000gp per pound of material. Half of it's AC is now deflection but it is now treated as armor made out of Force. Anything that would destroy it now (mostly) would've destroyed it before anyway. Not sure about a material that could be swapped out for cold immunity though.

TuggyNE
2013-05-22, 04:40 PM
But it does/should...

There is:
The following are typical characteristics of an epic magic item. In general, an item with even one of these characteristics is an epic magic item.
[…]
Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items.

So, depending on how much the baseline mundane armor components cost, you can add however much more to hit 200kgp before going epic.

unseenmage
2013-05-22, 04:55 PM

Make it out of Riverine. +2,000gp per pound of material. Half of it's AC is now deflection but it is now treated as armor made out of Force. Anything that would destroy it now (mostly) would've destroyed it before anyway. Not sure about a material that could be swapped out for cold immunity though.

Assuming we could build it from a different material or even set of materials, what does that do to it's base cost?

CIDE
2013-05-22, 05:14 PM
As mentioned above Riverine adds an additional 2,000gp per pound of material. There's no reason to assume it can't be made out of riverine if the character building it would be allowed access to the material. Which if you can at least get to the plane of water (probably the most reliable method at least) then you should be good.

In case you were curious Riverine is in Stormwrack pg 128.

Edit: My bad, I wasn't looking at the article for the clockwork armor when I made the post and forgot exactly how heavy it was. Riverine would make it an additional 500,000 gp.

unseenmage
2013-05-22, 05:38 PM
So, what I'm looking at is a +1 Called Riverine Dwarvencraft Clockwork Armor.

Clockwork Armor = 27,250gp
+1 and Called = 4,000gp
Riverine = 25,000gp
Dwarvencraft = 300gp

Leaving me with a Market Price of 56,550gp

How much is it to Permanency Augment Objects and Hardening?
Are there any other spells we should add?

Googling Clockwork Armor led me to another thread where they mentioned the Artisan Craftsman feat in Dragon 358.

I wonder if I could either (a): add some of those traits for some amount of gp or (b): build a wondrous architecture forge with this feat in it then build the Clockwork Armor using that forge.

How much would such a wondrous architecture cost?

Edit: Thanks Guigarci for the corrected Riverine cost.

Gildedragon
2013-05-22, 05:52 PM
The riverine cost is off. Riverine heavy armor is +25,000

unseenmage
2013-05-22, 07:38 PM
Okay so I got to looking and there's a sidebar in Arms and Equipment page 128 that says feats without an existing item analogue cost 10,000gp + 5,000gp per prerequisite to put into an item.

Wondrous architecture which is immobile costs half what a usual wondrous magic item does. (extrapolation from Stronghold Builders Guidebook page 70)

The Artisan Craftsman feat from Dragon 358 has one prerequisite and can be taken three times, once for armor, once for melee weapons, and once for ranged weapons.

So putting the feat into a forge all three times would cost 10,000gp +5,000gp x3 x0.5 = 22,500gp.

For comparison the forges presented here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=6
have a forge which grants a feat for 15,000gp.

Is my custom forge on track? Too expensive? Too cheap?

Eslin
2013-05-22, 10:31 PM
Cant replace the materials, the armour specifies being made from adamantine and mithral

Chronos
2013-05-23, 09:23 AM
It'd probably be a good idea to have someone in the party with a Make Whole spell available. It's only 2nd level, so shouldn't be too much to ask from the party cleric.

unseenmage
2013-05-23, 10:25 AM
Cant replace the materials, the armour specifies being made from adamantine and mithral

But why can't we? Is there an actual rule standing in the way of making it from Riverine and Aurorum plates instead of Mithril and Adamantine?

To my knowledge the substance replacement rules, such as they are, basically don't let you replace wood with metal or leather with wood etc.

Prime32
2013-05-23, 10:30 AM
So, what I'm looking at is a +1 Called Riverine Dwarvencraft Clockwork Armor.Riverine is already indestructible; dwarvencraft won't make it any tougher.

Curmudgeon
2013-05-23, 12:34 PM
But why can't we? Is there an actual rule standing in the way of making it from Riverine and Aurorum plates instead of Mithril and Adamantine?
There's no rule to keep you from making something out of riverine and aurorum, but it simply wouldn't be Clockwork Armor.
Specific Armors

The following specific suits of armor usually are preconstructed with exactly the qualities described here. If you want to make something like Clockwork Armor, but from different materials, you're subject to individual DM whim. As such, there's really no point in continuing this discussion here, because the only discussion that matters is between you and your own DM.

So yes, there is an actual rule for specific armors.

unseenmage
2013-05-23, 12:46 PM
If you want to make something like Clockwork Armor, but from different materials, you're subject to individual DM whim. As such, there's really no point in continuing this discussion here, because the only discussion that matters is between you and your own DM.

It is my understanding that the material decisions for custom items must be made at creation but that the magic properties can be added later.

With your explanation the magical properties of Clockwork Armor and other specific armors are tied irrevocably to their material properties.

In that case would Ploymorph Any Object be able to change the material properties of this (or any) specific magic item without compromising the items magical properties?

Namfuak
2013-05-23, 01:00 PM
It is my understanding that the material decisions for custom items must be made at creation but that the magic properties can be added later.

With your explanation the magical properties of Clockwork Armor and other specific armors are tied irrevocably to their material properties.

In that case would Ploymorph Any Object be able to change the material properties of this (or any) specific magic item without compromising the items magical properties?

Magic items aren't affected by polymorph any object.

unseenmage
2013-05-25, 12:05 PM
I've read that you can enchant magic items after they're created with enhancements etc.

But I've also read that the CL for each spell in an item has to be the same. So that even thought the min CL for that 1st level spell is low you have to pay for it being cast at the same higher CL as that 5th level spell's min CL.

Does this principle work with adding specific qualities, plus enhancements, AND additional spells?

CIDE
2013-05-25, 01:04 PM
The riverine cost is off. Riverine heavy armor is +25,000

clockwork armor=/= heavy armor.

The clockwork armor weighs 250 lbs.

Riverine is 2,000 gold/pound. 2,000x250=500,000.

Gildedragon
2013-05-25, 02:18 PM
It is heavy armor: it requires armor proficiency (heavy) to be used.

unseenmage
2013-05-25, 04:04 PM
upgraded Clockwork Armor

Hardened and Augmented, Aurora and Riverine, Tessellated, +1 Called Clockwork Armor

reinforcing spells
- Hardening scroll, 1,650gp
- Augment Object scroll, 1,125gp
- Permanency for Augment Object (as Shrink Item), 8,875gp

+1 enhancement and the +1 Called enhancement, 8,000gp
(also increases the hardness of the Aurorum half by 4 and it's hp by 20)

- Tessellated quality, 2,000gp,
(AaEG 95), MP -9,650 for the +2 fullplate

- Clockwork Armor, 27,250gp
(web), It's Market Price IS the minimum price for it's qualities as adding them up would exceed it's listed price.

- Aurorum and Riverine construction
The reasoning is that as listed half the mechanisms are Mithril and half are Adamantine. Reworking it to be half Aurorum and half Riverine goes as follows.
- Weight: Adamantine, Aurorum, and Riverine each weigh as iron. Only the Mithril half of the original weight is halved. I'm pretty sure the final weight should be 250x1.5=375.
- Materials cost: Can be done in one of two ways. Only Riverine and Mithril have a misc. item weight entry and while Riverine increases the cost substantially when calculated by weight on the Adamantine side of the equation, the Mithril to Aurorum side actually costs less.
- As armor: Mithril to Aurorum, 9,000gp to 4,000gp.
Adamantine to Riverine, 15,000gp to 25,000gp
Originally 24,000gp/29,000gp equates to a +18% increase to the base cost of Clockwork Armor or +32,155.
- As misc. item: Mithril to Aurorum, 175,000gp to 4,000gp.
Adamantine to Riverine, 15,000gp to 700,000gp
Originally 190,000gp/704,000gp equates to a +73% increase to the base cost of Clockwork Armor or +47,143gp. (I'm probably using this one.)
(For what it's worth normal fullplate to Riverine heavy armor is a +94% increase)
- Adding Riverine to half the mechanism means that half the time (50% chance) attacking it will have no result. In addition a quarter of the armor bonus is now a deflection bonus.

So our final item has a top MP: 98,043gp

Did I make any gruesome mistakes?

CIDE
2013-05-25, 10:04 PM
It is heavy armor: it requires armor proficiency (heavy) to be used.

Yes, but it's stats outline that it was 250 lbs. Which is the weight we use when figuring out the price for altering it. Thus, it's 500,000 gp and not 25,000 as it would be for the weight of normal heavy armor.

upgraded Clockwork Armor

Hardened and Augmented, Aurora and Riverine, Tessellated, +1 Called Clockwork Armor

reinforcing spells
- Hardening scroll, 1,650gp
- Augment Object scroll, 1,125gp
- Permanency for Augment Object (as Shrink Item), 8,875gp

+1 enhancement and the +1 Called enhancement, 8,000gp
(also increases the hardness of the Aurorum half by 4 and it's hp by 20)

- Tessellated quality, 2,000gp,
(AaEG 95), MP -9,650 for the +2 fullplate

- Clockwork Armor, 27,250gp
(web), It's Market Price IS the minimum price for it's qualities as adding them up would exceed it's listed price.

- Aurorum and Riverine construction
The reasoning is that as listed half the mechanisms are Mithril and half are Adamantine. Reworking it to be half Aurorum and half Riverine goes as follows.
- Weight: Adamantine, Aurorum, and Riverine each weigh as iron. Only the Mithril half of the original weight is halved. I'm pretty sure the final weight should be 250x1.5=375.
- Materials cost: Can be done in one of two ways. Only Riverine and Mithril have a misc. item weight entry and while Riverine increases the cost substantially when calculated by weight on the Adamantine side of the equation, the Mithril to Aurorum side actually costs less.
- As armor: Mithril to Aurorum, 9,000gp to 4,000gp.
Adamantine to Riverine, 15,000gp to 25,000gp
Originally 24,000gp/29,000gp equates to a +18% increase to the base cost of Clockwork Armor or +32,155.
- As misc. item: Mithril to Aurorum, 175,000gp to 4,000gp.
Adamantine to Riverine, 15,000gp to 700,000gp
Originally 190,000gp/704,000gp equates to a +73% increase to the base cost of Clockwork Armor or +47,143gp. (I'm probably using this one.)
(For what it's worth normal fullplate to Riverine heavy armor is a +94% increase)
- Adding Riverine to half the mechanism means that half the time (50% chance) attacking it will have no result. In addition a quarter of the armor bonus is now a deflection bonus.

So our final item has a top MP: 98,043gp

Aurorum doesn't add anything to the Riverine. In the event the Riverine does "break" it's gone and beyond repair anyway.

Edit: Also, the price for Riverine is also once again ALL wrong. The armor weighs 250 lbs. That puts the price at 500,000 gp. Not 25,000 gp.

Edit 2.0: I say the above because it's both a construct AND armor and the disparity in weight is rather significant and it has a great many parts of its construction that are NOT armor but all of the construct variety. It makes no sense when you'd still be using the raw materials to make something that weights 250 lbs out of Riverine for a fraction of the price.

TuggyNE
2013-05-25, 10:31 PM
Yes, but it's stats outline that it was 250 lbs. Which is the weight we use when figuring out the price for altering it. Thus, it's 500,000 gp and not 25,000 as it would be for the weight of normal heavy armor.

Normal heavy armor does not have a single weight; just in Core, you've got anywhere from 35 to 50 lbs. You're going off the wrong formula, therefore; the formula for "heavy armor" applies to all heavy armor, because otherwise it would apply to nothing at all. (Note that none of the Core heavy armors would cost 25000 if you used the price per pound; some would cost 70000gp, some 90000, and some 100000gp.)

Crasical
2013-05-26, 01:49 AM
I want to know who the heck you expect to have crafted this monstrosity, actually. Some kind of half-celestial aquatic dwarf genius sorcerer blacksmith/clockmaker?

Tvtyrant
2013-05-26, 01:53 AM
I want to know who the heck you expect to have crafted this monstrosity, actually. Some kind of half-celestial aquatic dwarf genius sorcerer blacksmith/clockmaker?

Some eccentric Gnome Artificer I expect.

unseenmage
2013-05-26, 01:59 AM

As I stated here:
I increased the base weight of the item to account for half of it being made of Mithril (a lightweight material) so all my math for the modified item, when calculating by weight, takes the weight difference of the Mithril half into account.

Aurorum doesn't add anything to the Riverine. In the event the Riverine does "break" it's gone and beyond repair anyway.

I stated what the Aurorum half of the item brings to the party here:
- Adding Riverine to half the mechanism means that half the time (50% chance) attacking it will have no result.

Edit: Also, the price for Riverine is also once again ALL wrong. The armor weighs 250 lbs. That puts the price at 500,000 gp. Not 25,000 gp.

Edit 2.0: I say the above because it's both a construct AND armor and the disparity in weight is rather significant and it has a great many parts of its construction that are NOT armor but all of the construct variety. It makes no sense when you'd still be using the raw materials to make something that weights 250 lbs out of Riverine for a fraction of the price.

And I stated that though the Riverine half of the materials increases the price per pound the loss of the Mithril half actually makes the item cheaper here:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough before. I modified the price based on the idea that half the components are Mithril and half are Adamantine. I divided the weight of the item in two then increased the weight of the mithril half to account for it's being replaced by a heavier metal.

Then I used this higher weight to calculate the cost of the item again in two halves. One half Aurorum, and the other Riverine. That's part of why the Riverine price seems so low. I only bought half of the weight in Riverine. I also added a clause that says that when the item is attacked half the time the attacker hits the Riverine components and half the time they hit the Aurorum components.

As it takes a full round action by someone outside the suit to repair it both with the base Clockwork Armor AND with the Aurorum repair rules I do truly gain nothing but the continued flavor of having the item be constructed of two different components and that the Riverine in it's construction only saves it half the time.

Additionally, the % increase in price of this item when calculated by weight as a Riverine Misc. Item and the % increase in price when paying for Riverine fullplate as an Armor to be Riverine is +73% vs +94%. I do not have the WBL charts memorized but at the level you'd be buying/crafting this I suspect that might not be that great a difference.

I hope this clarifies some of the confusion.

Gildedragon
2013-05-26, 03:23 AM
I don't get why aurorum is getting added to this thing.
It makes no sense if it is to prevent the freezing. Blue Ice, fire-iron or cold-metal would make more sense for said goal.
Just all riverine: it is a bargain. And I am aware it is partially a construct. It doesn't matter, still heavy armor, still only +25000gp
DnD don't care about metal weight costs; which is why weight equivalencies between mithril chainshirts and mithril chainmail don't add up to the same (or even vaguely the same) price.

lord_khaine
2013-05-26, 05:00 AM

Yeah, but IMO only in increasing the cost of the item to a point where its no longer worth the cost :smalltongue:

Really, all you need for Clockwork armor to be insanely OP is an easy way getting in and out of it.

Crasical
2013-05-26, 05:06 AM
Panic Button of Escaping? One shot Dimensional Door, 750 Gold.

Erik Vale
2013-05-26, 05:32 AM
Or play a psion with psionic dimension door and a single level in fighter for proficiencies.

TuggyNE
2013-05-26, 06:12 AM
Or play a psion with psionic dimension door and a single level in fighter for proficiencies.

If you don't care about initiative, attack rolls, or other such nonsense you can leave out the Fighter level. :smalltongue:

NNescio
2013-05-26, 06:47 AM

Hmm...

Some kind of half-celestial aquatic dwarf genius sorcerer blacksmith/clockmaker?

*stares at Crasical's avatar*

Hmm...

Gharkash
2013-05-26, 06:47 AM
Now if only there was a bolter equivalent somewhere...

lord_khaine
2013-05-26, 07:45 AM
But since there is not, how do we make one ? :smalltongue:

unseenmage
2013-05-26, 11:05 AM
Yeah, but IMO only in increasing the cost of the item to a point where its no longer worth the cost

Really, all you need for Clockwork armor to be insanely OP is an easy way getting in and out of it.

That's what the Tessellated quality is for. From AaEG. It lets you speak a command word to have the armor put itself away in a little box for you.
Combined with Called and you have an armor that puts itself on and takes itself off, rather rapidly, with simple command words.

unseenmage
2013-05-26, 11:09 AM
Panic Button of Escaping? One shot Dimensional Door, 750 Gold.

Does Dimension Door let you just teleport away without the clothes on your back?

Some eccentric Gnome Artificer I expect.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm even putting it on a Gondsman since he's proficient with whatever item I ask him to wield.