PDA

View Full Version : Getting 7th level spells as fast as possible

GreenSerpent
2013-05-22, 01:50 PM
Title says it all. What I'm looking for is a way to get 7th level spells as fast as possible and with as little BAB loss as possible.

The spell needed is Planar Bubble if you're wondering - it involves a certain amount of Gouda, but nothing too excessive.

I've considered Ur-Priest, but the problem is that the character needs to (preferably) be True Neutral. Planar Bubble isn't granted by any domain, so that rules out Divine Crusader. And it's not on the Nar Demonbinder spell list either.

Verditude
2013-05-22, 02:50 PM
Spell to power erudite with overchannel gets you the use of level 7 spells at level 11, but at 3d8 damage per manifestation. A better choice is probably to use Versatile Spellcaster and some method of boosting CL to get it as a level 11 wizard.

Snowbluff
2013-05-22, 02:52 PM
I think Alacritous Cogitation, Versatile Spellcaster, and Elven Generalist Domain Wizard might be what you are looking for.

Heliomance
2013-05-22, 03:30 PM
Are you being a Dal Quori Planar Shepherd, perchance?

Marnath
2013-05-22, 03:40 PM
I think Alacritous Cogitation, Versatile Spellcaster, and Elven Generalist Domain Wizard might be what you are looking for.

Alacritous Cogitation is only usable once a day, so you only have one spontaneous spell slot to use. Prepared spells are not the same as spell slots.

Snowbluff
2013-05-22, 03:45 PM
Alacritous Cogitation is only usable once a day, so you only have one spontaneous spell slot to use. Prepared spells are not the same as spell slots.
You only need the ability to spontaneously cast to qualify for Versatile Spellcaster.

Prepared spells occupy slots.

GreenSerpent
2013-05-22, 04:00 PM
Are you being a Dal Quori Planar Shepherd, perchance?

I'm currently deciding between Dal Quor, the Outlands, and the Temporal Energy Plane (to really annoy everyone).

sreservoir
2013-05-22, 04:07 PM
I've done something close before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11921151&postcount=59), and this is even simpler. since you only need 7th, not 9th, we don't need to jump through hoops with sanctum spell and earth spell for extra slot.

be able to cast spells, and somehow acquire the feat eldritch corruption. this latter is probably most easily obtained as one of your taint bonus feats. you need CL 4 to take extra slot, I think, so get there and then take extra slot for an 8th level slot; the level of that slot is explicitly noted not to change, so as long as you keep the prerequisites, you'll have that 8th level slot.

cleric 1 with the knowledge and oracle domains has CL 4 on divinations, can take a metamagic feat at 1st, get tainted to moderate, take eldritch corruption as a bonus feat, get tainted to severe, take extra slot, and I think that's all.

I mean, you're kind of screwed because of the corruption, but hey, you don't actually have to be evil! you just detect as evil regardless. also, 1st level.

... the smoother way would be to be an illumian cleric (with some +1 CL domain) taking naen and hoon sigils, taking heighten spell at 1st, and then taking extra slot at 3rd, with an 8th level slot on account of being able to heighten a spell to 9th by naenhoon sigil. you'd need at least 7 turn attempts to do that, though, so getting extra turning somehow (there's a domain for that) might be necessary. 3rd level.

divine metamagic should work somehow, too.

Heliomance
2013-05-22, 04:12 PM
You could try this trick.

Elven generalist gives one spell level of the "highest he can cast"

Domain wizard gives one spell slot of each spell they can cast and knowledge of all spells in that domain

Versitile spell caster allows conversion of 2 spell slots of lower level to 1 higher lv slot.

How it works together.

Elven generalist domain wizard1 can cast 1st lv spells, he gets a free spell slot of 1st lv spells for elven generalist and 1 domain slot for first lv spells. He then takes versitile spell caster. he has more than 2 1st lv spell slots so he can now cast 2nd lv spells. He knows his 2nd lv domain spell and so gains a 2nd lv domain slot and his elven generalist bonus spell slot becomes a 2nd lv slot. He now has 2 open spell slots for 2nd lv spells, can therefore cast a 3rd lv spell, so his 3rd lv domain slot opens up and his bonus spell slot becomes a 3rd lv slot. This repeats untill he reaches 8th lv spells at which time he spontaneously casts whatever 9th lv spell he has for his domain spell using Alcritous Cogination.

Snowbluff
2013-05-22, 04:17 PM

You could try this trick.

Hey, that's what I said! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFlOZFSIsMQ):smalltongue:

Verditude
2013-05-22, 04:54 PM
I don't think that works by RAW; the step I object to is "since versatile spellcaster allows him to cast any 2nd level spell he knows, he can now cast 2nd level spells."

I disagree with this line. The text of Versatile Spellcaster says it lets you cast "a spell you know that is one level higher." If you don't know any spells of that level, you don't gain the ability to cast spells of that level, which is a problem when the prerequisite for knowing a domain spell is being able to cast spells of that level. You have to know a higher level spell before Versatile Spellcaster lets you do anything, so you can't get your first higher level spell by means of it.

Snowbluff
2013-05-22, 06:37 PM
I don't think that works by RAW; the step I object to is "since versatile spellcaster allows him to cast any 2nd level spell he knows, he can now cast 2nd level spells."This... is an identity. You are saying that even though he can cast second level spells, he can not cast second level spells.

There are several ways around this.
1) Domain Wizards gain spells known as they are able to cast them.
2) Heightened spells are effectively 1 level higher. If you do not agree with the above be the spell know, then Heighten will grant the ability to cast at that spell level. This will grant access to the domain spell knowledge.

Domain Wizard granting access to spells known with versatile spellcaster actually has precedence in the class itself. Wizards gain access to spell levels by leveling up, and the spell knowledge is granted based on the highest level spells they are able to cast. Ability precedes knowledge.

Vaz
2013-05-22, 07:18 PM
To stop your BAB getting tanked, then Arcane Disciple (Competition) or whatever (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html) is helpful. Not going to help with qualifying for PrC's, exactly, though.