PDA

View Full Version : New Cleric Domain

Frathe
2013-05-22, 09:40 PM
Binding Domain

Granted Power
You can use animate rope once per day as a spell-like ability.

Add Use Rope to your list of cleric class skills.

1. hold portal
2. arcane lock
3. hold person
4. dimensional anchor
5. hold monster
6. planar binding
7. forcecage
8. trap the soul
9. imprisonment

It's like the opposite of the Liberation Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm#liberationDomain). I known it's creepy, but you could use it for evil deities.

137beth
2013-05-22, 11:21 PM
What's the granted ability?

Fates
2013-05-22, 11:26 PM
Confinement Domain

1. hold portal
2. arcane lock
3. hold person
4. dimensional anchor
5. hold monster
6. planar binding
7. forcecage
8. trap the soul
9. imprisonment

It's like the opposite of the Liberation Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm#liberationDomain). I known it's creepy, but you could use it for evil deities.

Wouldn't even need to be evil, actually. I could see some LN deities having this domain- like St. Cuthbert and maybe Wee Jas. Not a bad domain- needs the granted power, as earstwhile stated.

Frathe
2013-05-22, 11:52 PM
What's the granted ability?Dang it, I always forget those.

Frathe
2013-05-23, 01:42 AM
Granted ability: Once per day, you can touch a lock, bolt, or similar fastening device, adding +5 to its Open Lock DC. Alternately, you can empower a tied rope, ropelike object (such as an entangle spell), or manacles, and add +5 to the Escape Artist check to escape the empowered binding.

Frathe
2013-05-23, 01:45 AM
What's the granted ability?

Wouldn't even need to be evil, actually. I could see some LN deities having this domain- like St. Cuthbert and maybe Wee Jas. Not a bad domain- needs the granted power, as earstwhile stated.How's this granted power? And you're right, LNs could use it too.

sengmeng
2013-06-13, 09:47 AM
Like the spell list, granted power is meh. I'd let it add use rope to their class skill list at the very least (and granted powers often scale with level- maybe it should add their cleric level to the DC instead of a flat +5).

But my biggest issue is fluff-wise. A cleric of Erythnul might maniacally scream "I serve a god of death and destruction!" And the cleric of St Cuthbert is supposed to retort "Well I serve a god of justice and confinement"? It just doesn't feel like a domain. Maybe it's just the name that bothers me.

SamBurke
2013-06-13, 10:56 AM
Maybe the granted power could add a single spell with the [force] descriptor in it?

As it is, that's fairly similar to the Hold Portal Spell.

That said, I don't see why people aren't as eager for this: I like the fluff, and those are some fairly useful spells.

sengmeng
2013-06-13, 01:50 PM
Maybe the granted power could add a single spell with the [force] descriptor in it?

As it is, that's fairly similar to the Hold Portal Spell.

That said, I don't see why people aren't as eager for this: I like the fluff, and those are some fairly useful spells.

I think, for me, it's just that the word "confinement" doesn't sound like a domain. Maybe "tyranny" (better thing to be a god of, but not quite a perfect fit) or "binding," or "imprisonment" would sit better with me. The spell list is quite nice.

Maybe granted power: add Use Rope to your class skill list. Once per day, you may touch a lock or device which can be opened with the open lock skill, such as manacles, and add your cleric level to the DC to open it. Alternatively, you can use this ability as part of a Use Rope check to bind someone, and you add your cleric level to the check result as a competence bonus.

Frathe
2013-06-13, 11:29 PM
I think, for me, it's just that the word "confinement" doesn't sound like a domain. Maybe "tyranny" (better thing to be a god of, but not quite a perfect fit) or "binding," or "imprisonment" would sit better with me. The spell list is quite nice.I feel like "imprisonment" is too specific a word, when some of the spells only do things like prevent interdimensional travel. I guess "binding" could work; I thought of that before. I think I'll change it.

Maybe granted power: add Use Rope to your class skill list. Once per day, you may touch a lock or device which can be opened with the open lock skill, such as manacles, and add your cleric level to the DC to open it. Alternatively, you can use this ability as part of a Use Rope check to bind someone, and you add your cleric level to the check result as a competence bonus.I like the idea of adding Use Rope as a class skill--I thought of it before, but thought it seemed too weak by itself. But plus cleric level seems over the top.
Edit: I've changed it. :smallbiggrin: