PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question - Tome of Battle

jderk
2013-05-22, 11:48 PM
Do maneuvers count as spell-like abilities?

Specifically, Moment of the Perfect Mind.

My reason for asking is I have a feat Melodic Casting, and I am wondering if I can replace the concentration roll with my perform check roll.

Snowbluff
2013-05-22, 11:52 PM
Maneuvers are (EX), with some (Su) exceptions, IIRC.

Barsoom
2013-05-23, 12:05 AM
Do maneuvers count as spell-like abilities?

Specifically, Moment of the Perfect Mind.

My reason for asking is I have a feat Melodic Casting, and I am wondering if I can replace the concentration roll with my perform check roll.

RAW nothwithstanding, I would allow it. Making a Will save by singing it away is just too good to pass.

Zaq
2013-05-23, 12:09 AM
Maneuvers very emphatically are not SLAs. What you want is Undersong, from SpC. (Admittedly, most [all?] spells in SpC came from somewhere else first, but whatever.) It turns Perform into Concentration with no questions asked. Persist it, get an item of it, or just get a good feel for when to cast it (at 10 min/level, it's not THAT hard to pre-buff with it), and you're golden.

jderk
2013-05-23, 12:14 AM
RAW nothwithstanding, I would allow it. Making a Will save by singing it away is just too good to pass.

I think so too. But my DM disallowed it. =/

Thanks for answer though, you two.

jderk
2013-05-23, 12:19 AM
Maneuvers very emphatically are not SLAs. What you want is Undersong, from SpC. (Admittedly, most [all?] spells in SpC came from somewhere else first, but whatever.) It turns Perform into Concentration with no questions asked. Persist it, get an item of it, or just get a good feel for when to cast it (at 10 min/level, it's not THAT hard to pre-buff with it), and you're golden.

Great suggestion! The only 1st level spells I chose so far are Expeditious Retreat, Serene Visage, and Silent Image.

This is for a gestalt game. The build is made, just arguing the insignificant stuff now. PrC into Lyric Thaumaturge from Complete Mage, which is why I have the Melodic Casting feat.

Socratov
2013-05-23, 02:13 AM

Well, it might jsut be reciting a mantra for perform(oratory) and lots of research has gone into music acting as a way to allow people to focus better or longer... I'd allow it...