PDA

View Full Version : FFD20 - Sapphire Magister - Superior Transformation

Gawdin
2013-05-23, 12:02 AM
Here is a link to the entry I am referring to:
Sapphire Magister (http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/sapphire-magister.html)

We are getting ready to start a Final Fantasy campaign (using the semi-updated pathfinder rules and common sense). I am playing Blue Mage who plans on taking Sapphire Magister as a prestige. When we were talking about it, the Superior Transformation ability got brought up and to what it meant by its description.

Where the debate was made, was on the last sentence:
"The Sapphire Magister may only change one aspect of her form once per round."

We all agree that it is poorly worded and is somewhat unclear. We had a couple different interpretations, and I was wondering what the GITP community thought the wording meant? Or if a better explanation could be given? Because as we see it, one way is possibly broken, the other way is quite a bit under-powered (for the final ability of a class)

The two main interpretations we as follows:
1) The Sapphire Magister may only change one aspect per round. Meaning they can change their fire breath ability to a lightning breath ability on round one. And then still retaining that lightning breath, can change their dex from the current 16 of the form they are in, to the better 20 dex of another form on the second round. And then on the third round (still keeping the 20 dex and lightning breath) can remove their weakness to slashing damage.

-or-

2) The Sapphire Magister may only change one aspect at a time. Meaning they can change their fire breath ability to a lightning breath ability on round one. Then on round two, they can change their dex from 16 to 20, but have to go back to having fire breath again. Then on the third round they remove their weakness to slashing removing the increased dex (thus going back down to 16).

When comparing the wording, keep in mind that this ability would not be learned until a minimal level 17, as the Blue Mage would need 7 character levels first (6 of which need to be Blue Mage). Also that at no time does the Sapphire Magister gain the ability to take a form bigger than huge size. Based on the wording, this change is a constant effect (even if knocked out/helpless), and is not limited in the number of times per day, other than no more than once per round.

only1doug
2013-05-23, 10:59 AM
I can see the problem of the first interpretation, with no time limit to the transformation and a very low opportunity cost when not in battle there is no reason for the Sapphire Magister not to spend almost all of their time in a perfected form and not to change back at all (unless in a social situation).

The only real cost is the time and magic points required to perfect each aspect, once completed you have a super form that you would rarely need to change.

the second interpretation seems very weak in comparison and weak for a capstone ability.

How about adding the following rider to the ability:
Superior Transformations can only be made during the stress of battle and cannot be maintained long after the battle is over.

This would allow the strengths of the first interpretation whilst adding opportunity costs: the superior form cannot be maintained and the MP and actions have to be taken each encounter.

Gawdin
2013-05-23, 02:02 PM
Something like that would make more sense. Though based on how Transformation works (which is also "until I decide I don't want to be a dragon"), the explanation of the use of mana is as if you were doing a full transformation. Just instead you are only changing a single aspect of it (at a time). Ultimately, to get this ideal form, you end up spending a lot more mana on it to 'perfect' it.

Perhaps limiting it to one type of aspect change would be better. For example, you could make all three of those changes listed (the fire>lightning, +DEX, and remove weakness), but you couldn't alter two of the same thing (i.e. boosting both STR and DEX at the same time, since they are both an ability change).

Viladin454
2013-08-21, 02:19 AM
Here is a link to the entry I am referring to:
Sapphire Magister (http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/sapphire-magister.html)

We are getting ready to start a Final Fantasy campaign (using the semi-updated pathfinder rules and common sense). I am playing Blue Mage who plans on taking Sapphire Magister as a prestige. When we were talking about it, the Superior Transformation ability got brought up and to what it meant by its description.

Where the debate was made, was on the last sentence:
"The Sapphire Magister may only change one aspect of her form once per round."

We all agree that it is poorly worded and is somewhat unclear. We had a couple different interpretations, and I was wondering what the GITP community thought the wording meant? Or if a better explanation could be given? Because as we see it, one way is possibly broken, the other way is quite a bit under-powered (for the final ability of a class)

The two main interpretations we as follows:
1) The Sapphire Magister may only change one aspect per round. Meaning they can change their fire breath ability to a lightning breath ability on round one. And then still retaining that lightning breath, can change their dex from the current 16 of the form they are in, to the better 20 dex of another form on the second round. And then on the third round (still keeping the 20 dex and lightning breath) can remove their weakness to slashing damage.

-or-

2) The Sapphire Magister may only change one aspect at a time. Meaning they can change their fire breath ability to a lightning breath ability on round one. Then on round two, they can change their dex from 16 to 20, but have to go back to having fire breath again. Then on the third round they remove their weakness to slashing removing the increased dex (thus going back down to 16).

When comparing the wording, keep in mind that this ability would not be learned until a minimal level 17, as the Blue Mage would need 7 character levels first (6 of which need to be Blue Mage). Also that at no time does the Sapphire Magister gain the ability to take a form bigger than huge size. Based on the wording, this change is a constant effect (even if knocked out/helpless), and is not limited in the number of times per day, other than no more than once per round.

Or you could just ask :)

she may change an ability, physical stat, extraordinary/supernatural ability, elemental strength/weakness, or physical appendage with another creature form she is familiar. She may also remove any elemental weakness or negative special quality.

Changing an aspect of her form refers to above.

Sorry I'm 3 months late seeing this, but better late than never.