PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] (Extrapalar) Subtype - Good for Anything?

Thurbane
2013-05-23, 02:53 AM
Hey all, just an idle curiosity:

Extraplanar Subtype
A subtype applied to any creature when it is on a plane other than its native plane. A creature that travels the planes can gain or lose this subtype as it goes from plane to plane. Monster entries assume that encounters with creatures take place on the Material Plane, and every creature whose native plane is not the Material Plane has the extraplanar subtype (but would not have when on its home plane). Every extraplanar creature in this book has a home plane mentioned in its description. Creatures not labeled as extraplanar are natives of the Material Plane, and they gain the extraplanar subtype if they leave the Material Plane. No creature has the extraplanar subtype when it is on a transitive plane, such as the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, and the Plane of Shadow.

...is it actually useful for anything?

Is there anything that has Extraplanar as a requisite?

Cheers - T

Ashtagon
2013-05-23, 03:02 AM
The primary purpose of types and subtypes isn't to act as prerequisites for anything, but to help define how various effects interact with different groupings of creatures --- it is easier to say "goblinoids" than it is to say "goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, bugaboos, weeaboos, and whatever else counts as a goblinoid".

Extraplanar is notably relevant for the banishment type spells.

Thurbane
2013-05-23, 03:08 AM
True - though some subtypes allow qualification for feats and PrCs, like Fiend of Possession, or Final Strike.

I was just curious if there might be something out there that has Extraplanar as a req...

Pilo
2013-05-23, 03:50 AM
Well, there is the target of this spell: Dismissal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dismissal.htm).

Crake
2013-05-23, 04:42 AM
having extraplanar as a prerequisite for anything would be silly, as every creature loses it when on their home plane, thus losing whatever it was a pre-req for. Anyone can get the extraplanar subtype really easily too, just by simply going to any other plane than the one they were born on.

Cirrylius
2013-05-23, 08:08 AM
IIRC, Extraplanar makes you immune to the Person spells: Charm Person, Dominate Person, Enlarge Person, etc. You have to bump it up to Monster to affect them. I have no idea why this is, I just remember seeing it several times on the playground.

Talderas
2013-05-23, 08:27 AM
IIRC, Extraplanar makes you immune to the Person spells: Charm Person, Dominate Person, Enlarge Person, etc. You have to bump it up to Monster to affect them. I have no idea why this is, I just remember seeing it several times on the playground.

Extraplanar has no impact as it's a subtype and not a type.

Ashtagon
2013-05-23, 09:05 AM

Most creatures listed with the extraplanar subtyype typically have elemental or ourtsider, which aren't affected by the xxx person spells. But that is the type at work, not the subtype.

A dwarf who goes to Acheron remains a humanoid, gains the extraplanar subtype (since it isn't his home plane), but is still vulnerable to charm person (because humanoid).