PDA

View Full Version : Template Stacking

GutterFace
2013-05-23, 07:12 AM
Is it RAW?

Could i possibly be a Warforged - 2 Headed; Incarnate Construct for an offset LA+0?

or am i not adding this up correctly/and or not looking at this right?

(see Savage Species book for reference)

Xervous
2013-05-23, 07:18 AM
I usually see someone posting that Incarnate Construct has to be applied first or something to that matter, having to do with you having the appropriate types to qualify for the next template in the chain.

Jack_Simth
2013-05-23, 07:30 AM
I usually see someone posting that Incarnate Construct has to be applied first or something to that matter, having to do with you having the appropriate types to qualify for the next template in the chain.
The Specific Rule (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#addingMoreThanOneTemplate), such as it is:
In theory, there’s no limit to the number of templates you can add to a creature. To add more than one template, just apply each template one at a time. Always apply inherited templates before applying acquired templates. Whenever you add multiple templates, pay attention to the creature’s type—you may add a template that makes the creature ineligible for other templates you might want to add.

GutterFace
2013-05-23, 07:42 AM
ah ok, thanks all. this is a big help!

Darrin
2013-05-23, 08:37 AM
Is it RAW?

The Incarnate Construct template and RAW are not exactly on speaking terms.

Could i possibly be a Warforged - 2 Headed; Incarnate Construct for an offset LA+0?

or am i not adding this up correctly/and or not looking at this right?

This is more in the territory of "will the DM allow it?" than RAW. If we assume a "permissive DM" (default for Theoretical Optimization), then yes, this should be possible, but there are some caveats:

The Multi-Headed template has LA +2, but it also adds two racial HD per head. So while your LA may wind up at LA +0, you still wind up gaining two "levels" (HD) in the process.

There's also an issue with the wording on Incarnate Construct:

"Incarnate construct" is an acquired template that can be applied to any construct creature with a generally humanoid form—two arms, two legs, one head (hereafter referred to as the base creature).

(emphasis added)

It's not clear if this is just fluff or RAW, but a strictly literal interpretation would say that a creature with two heads wouldn't qualify. However, the word "generally" was used, so there may be exceptions...? Again, this boils down to a judgement call, so RAW is no help there.

Templates can be applied in any order, although some may insist that "inherited" should be applied before "acquired" templates. In any case, Incarnate Construct is "acquired", and moreover, it's applied by casting a spell, so it can happen whenever you want it to.

inuyasha
2013-05-23, 08:56 AM
well i suppose an incarnate warforged could, *ahem* have some fun with a hydra or something, and through a little bit of magical manipulation boom, 2 headed incarnate warforged?