PDA

View Full Version : Slightly odd question for all you experienced forum types

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-23, 01:55 PM
Hello all,

So here's the question: can I type an "e" with a rising accent mark on this forum? If the answer is yes, how? (The accent I want is the one that goes right above the letter and looks like a small "/", forward slash.)

I am aware that this isn't the best sub-forum for this, but I thought I'd try it here first before moving elsewhere. If you can refer me to a better spot, go ahead; this is really the only part of the forum that I can claim to have much familiarity with.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-23, 02:04 PM
Depends on your OS. In Chrome OS, which I'm running, you hit ctrl+shift+u and then type 00e9 and a space, which gives you a é. In Windows or OSX I'm not sure, but you can always go to the appropriate Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89) and copy paste.

Amnestic
2013-05-23, 02:06 PM
é?

On a standard English Windows keyboard you hold "alt gr" and then hit 'e'. Alternatively you can use the alt code which for me is alt+0233 on the numpad. Or you can use the Character Map program. Or you can just find a copy of it online and copy+paste the letter if you really want.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-23, 02:11 PM
FORUM IS WIN!

Thanks. This was helpful and informative. Cookies all around.:smallsmile:

Eldan
2013-05-23, 02:57 PM
That has nothing to do with the forum, really. It depends on your your keyboard configuration. I have a Swiss keyboard, so é is a standard key, along with öäüà and è.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-23, 03:49 PM
That has nothing to do with the forum, really. It depends on your your keyboard configuration. I have a Swiss keyboard, so é is a standard key, along with öäüà and è.

I was more commenting that I was happy the forum answered so quickly.

FORUM MEMBERZ IS WIN!

Thanks for reminding me to be explicit. Like WotC publications.

Namfuak
2013-05-23, 03:56 PM
Since no one has mentioned macs, I may as well mention that option-e e gives you é, which is what I think you were looking for. Option-e is the prefix to any similar vowel, so option-e i would give you í, for example.

mangosta71
2013-05-23, 03:58 PM
Pretty much any keyboard that isn't a standard English (US) keyboard has buttons for all the different accents. If you're a bilingual American, you just have to learn alt codes. It's kind of silly, seeing as how even standard English includes words that, properly written, have such accents (cliché, café, naïve, as examples).

Anyway, if we're going to continue this discussion, we should probably petition to have it moved to a more appropriate subforum.