PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Me a Game

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-05-23, 02:35 PM
I'm looking for a new digital game to waste time with. If you could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

I have a Windows 7 laptop with decent (but certainly not great) specs.

My favorite games include ...

Alice: Madness Returns
Amnesia: the Dark Descent
BioShock
BioShock 2
BioShock: Infinite
Dishonored
Skyrim

Things that annoy me ...

Disappearing bodies.
Puzzles that only have one solution.
Time limits, unless they exist for a really good reason.
Scripted boss fights.

(I know Alice: Madness Returns violates three of those, but I love the narrative and aesthetic so much that I don't care.)

Man on Fire
2013-05-23, 02:40 PM
It appears you like darker games with memorable characters and themes it explores. Try Planescape: Torment and Silent Hill series

Thrawn4
2013-05-23, 03:23 PM
Although Planescape: Torment is a fantastic game the best game in regard to story, I would recommend Deus Ex: Human Revolution, as Bioshock and Dishonored are in a similar style.

Daer
2013-05-23, 03:54 PM
fallouts would be quite obvious choices with bioshock and skyrim in mind.

GolemsVoice
2013-05-23, 08:07 PM
Well, when it comes to story or themes explored, the other games win by a large margin, but since you also listed Skyrim, I HAVE to recommend the Gothic/Risen series.

a) I've played Gothich 1, 2 and Risen (the spiritual successor much better than the real successor) and enjoyed them to no end
b) they're German, and there just aren't that many good German games. Or German games in general.

Like Skyrim, they have a big open world with lot's of things to do and explore, although less options and a smaller area than Skyrim, I believe. Still, I can recommend them. Maybe try Risen first, it's really the most polished game of them all, and it's also the newest (along with Risen 2) so the most likely to run on your PC.

And yes, of course, the usual suspects of Deus Ex, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, and, speaking of -shocks, System Shock (2). SS2 can be a real pain to get running on newer PCs, but it's well worth the trouble!

Weezer
2013-05-23, 08:50 PM
Well, when it comes to story or themes explored, the other games win by a large margin, but since you also listed Skyrim, I HAVE to recommend the Gothic/Risen series.

a) I've played Gothich 1, 2 and Risen (the spiritual successor much better than the real successor) and enjoyed them to no end
b) they're German, and there just aren't that many good German games. Or German games in general.

Like Skyrim, they have a big open world with lot's of things to do and explore, although less options and a smaller area than Skyrim, I believe. Still, I can recommend them. Maybe try Risen first, it's really the most polished game of them all, and it's also the newest (along with Risen 2) so the most likely to run on your PC.

And yes, of course, the usual suspects of Deus Ex, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, and, speaking of -shocks, System Shock (2). SS2 can be a real pain to get running on newer PCs, but it's well worth the trouble!

Actually SS2 has recently been rereleased on both steam and gog, and both versions work great even on modern systems

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-05-23, 10:59 PM
Currently, I can't get enough of the "first person game where character explores dystopian city wielding a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other, all the while piecing together the setting's history" genre, but I don't need to stick to it exclusively. I mostly just like creative settings and characters that are aesthetically and thematically interesting. I also like summoning swarms of bees/rats/crows.

Tebryn
2013-05-23, 11:05 PM
Currently, I can't get enough of the "first person game where character explores dystopian city wielding a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other, all the while piecing together the setting's history" genre, but I don't need to stick to it exclusively. I mostly just like creative settings and characters that are aesthetically and thematically interesting. I also like summoning swarms of bees/rats/crows.

Not first person but Dark Souls sounds like something you'd like.

Cespenar
2013-05-24, 12:48 AM
Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Fallout: New Vegas seem to be the closest to what you'd like.

Ravens_cry
2013-05-24, 01:04 AM
Just be warned, much control throwing, and even breaking, will ensue. A friend broke two controllers before they set up a wall of pillows to catch thrown controllers.

Tebryn
2013-05-24, 01:07 AM
Ya....Dark Souls is testicle crushingly difficult.

JabberwockySupafly
2013-05-24, 01:08 AM

I cannot second this game hard enough. It's a fairly brutal & unforgiving game, though. Don't expect it to hold you hand, or to breeze through it until you've really begun to understand how the game mechanics work (Learn to riposte, it will save your life on so many occasions). Challenging though it is, few games evoke the feeling of satisfaction you get for beating a particularly difficult boss, or finding that one weapon/spell/shield that suits your play style. I've beaten this game more times than I care to admit, and I still load it up and go through it with a new character when whatever I'm currently playing seems to lack that level of challenge I crave.

Most of what has been suggested is what I would have. Legend of Grimrock may be to your liking, thought it's a Party-Based 1st person dungeon crawler, ala Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master.

Kitten Champion
2013-05-24, 04:10 AM
Not exactly a game suggestion, but some of the Skyrim DLC is really worth checking out for hours more gameplay. This is assuming you haven't already or are just Skyrimed-out.

Going back to Morrowind in the Dragonborn DLC was lots of fun.

The Thief games are enjoyable, first person stealth action in a dark fantasy setting.

Minecraft and Slender: The Arrival might be relevant to your interests as well.

smuchmuch
2013-05-24, 05:39 AM
Well you never said you wanted a new game so I'd say System shock 2 if you haven't played it yet. (Just so we're clear the system shock series to the others are not realted in the slightest except in spirit); still it's creepy and it's got good gameplay. And by now it's cheap, you can find it on GOG for about 10 bucks.

Aslo someone already mentioned the Thief series, I cannot second it enough.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-05-24, 12:23 PM
I will check out System Shock 2 and the Thief series, as they are both on Steam.

Thanks. :smallsmile:

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-05-24, 12:55 PM
Hope you enjoy! (It might also be good, when asking in the future, to note any "red flags", things that annoy you about games, or that you can't stand.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-05-24, 02:37 PM
Hope you enjoy! (It might also be good, when asking in the future, to note any "red flags", things that annoy you about games, or that you can't stand.)

I added that to the original post. Thanks.

psilontech
2013-05-24, 03:46 PM
You like Bioshock? This is better.
System Shock 2

You like Dishonored? Prepare to have your mind blown.
Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Triaxx
2013-05-25, 10:14 PM
No magic, but definitely try out the original Fallout 1/2. Not first person, but lots of exploring destroyed cities. 1 is very much a survival RPG, while 2 is very much an action RPG. They're both excellent games though.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are both great games, but they follow 1, and 2 respectively. 1/3 are both set where the world is still busily decaying around you, and you're fighting a battle to stop it. 2, and NV are both set in worlds that have reached that bottom point and are now on the upswing, working back towards that bright future.

Mutant Sheep
2013-05-25, 10:29 PM
I'm going to go genre-hopping and recommend ye' some Civilization.
What? It's fun.

@psilontech :Awesome avatar there.:smallcool:

warty goblin
2013-05-25, 10:52 PM
Skip the Fallouts, play STALKER. The Fallout universe is a case of way too much nerd crap jammed into one package, at the expense of tone, atmosphere and intelligence. Unless you find the game metaphorically jumping up and down in front of you screaming "See? It's like 1950's Sci-Fi! So Whacky! But it's also Social Commentary, delivered with slightly less subtlety or grace than a 2000lbs bull shot up on crystal meth!" all the damn time, you're better off elsewhere. Also the combat in all of them is really terrible. Well, it's only really terrible in Fallout 3. The original just labors under an astoundingly poor interface, and a constant commitment to making every single action take as long as humanly possible. So just really dull. If you want to click a lot of buttons to make dudes shoot each other in a turn based fashion, Jagged Alliance 2 is a vastly better choice. For one thing it features colors other than brown. For another it contains actual tactics instead of RPG tactics.

STALKER is the post-nuclear holocaust with an actual core aesthetic and atmosphere, those being human frailty and existential horror, respectively. It's basically a game about trying to not die a horrible death, alone somewhere in the pitch blackness while inhuman horrors hunt you through the night. Where you're hoping the rifle doesn't jam up, you packed enough radiation meds, and that it doesn't take too long to get back to camp, because you're all out of med kits and your armor is shot to hell. Plus the combat is actually very good, and requires a lot of care and attention. There's not a lot better than successfully stalking and killing a bloodsucker using only your combat knife, or dropping a bandit at 100 meters with a single headshot from the suppressed, scoped carbine you were finally able to get your hands on.

If you're still grooving on the whole post-nuclear apocalypse thing, Metro 2033 is further proof that anything American devs can do, Ukrainians can do better. In this case Half-Life 2, except it's got an actual plot instead of a series of event pulled directly from the writer's asses, a consistently well delivered feeling of place instead of random bits of sci-fi plastered up at random, and only slightly janky combat. On the other hand, it delivers the single most concentrated form of sorrow yet managed in a game.

Tebryn
2013-05-25, 11:03 PM
It's not out yet but if you like Amnesia I'll highly recommend Among the Sleep (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZgBJ4QWr_4), a Horror/Puzzle game where you take the role of a toddler searching for his mother with your stuffed teddy bear.

Triaxx
2013-05-26, 03:48 PM
Ha. STALKER is basically post-nuclear Cthulhu. By the way, you're dead because your gun jammed and the enemy heard it.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-05-26, 04:47 PM
Ha. STALKER is basically post-nuclear Cthulhu. By the way, you're dead because your gun jammed and the enemy heard it.

All your guns jammed?

warty goblin
2013-05-26, 05:13 PM
All your guns jammed?

In STALKER, often if your gun jams, the invisible mutant that's been hunting you has that extra second it needs to finish tearing your face off. STALKER doesn't arse around, it gets straight to the point, and the point is usually that you are dead.

This is a game where barely visible landscape features cause you to explode, after all.

Grinner
2013-05-26, 05:28 PM
On the topic of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., there's always S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Build 1935. The final release was a bit more polished (not to mention functional), but Build 1935 is good for a few laughs screams.

Drascin
2013-05-26, 05:35 PM
Just be warned, much control throwing, and even breaking, will ensue. A friend broke two controllers before they set up a wall of pillows to catch thrown controllers.

Ya....Dark Souls is testicle crushingly difficult.

Oh come on, it's not THAT hard, unless you intend to try for absolute completion (mostly because the Dark Souls devs' attitude towards completionists is best summed up as this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo)). It's difficult and you'll die a fair amount, but as long as you move carefully and don't try to run into places like you're Mike Haggar you're going to be fine.

Do play it, though, because it's absolutely awesome, and atmospheric like few games are, and because it has so much hidden stuff that you will STILL be finding new things on your sixth playthrough.

Tebryn
2013-05-26, 05:39 PM
Oh come on, it's not THAT hard, unless you intend to try for absolute completion (mostly because the Dark Souls devs' attitude towards completionists is best summed up as this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo)). It's difficult and you'll die a fair amount, but as long as you move carefully and don't try to run into places like you're Mike Haggar you're going to be fine.

Sure, I've played harder games before.

vernes
2013-05-28, 05:05 AM
It seems you really enjoy the adventure types.

I'm more of a mmo kinda player like:
Firefall
Neverwinter
Planetside
and recently made my first character in Tera
I like Planetside and Firefall the most.
But I caught wind of Wildstar, and I think I will try to get a copy.

Now back to your question.
Some guys are trying to create a adventure kinda game in a sandbox game.
In case I ever change my signature here's a link:
http://nerdkingdom.com/
As you can see they are running a kickstarter.
One of the things I like is they are also offering group-pledges.
But you'd have to hurry to make use of that since it only has 3 days left.
Here's a link to a second group that is being set up for a group pledge: group-pledge (http://nerdkingdom.com/administrators/mod/nerds/f/25/t/430.aspx)

I hope it meets your needs.

thethird
2013-05-28, 05:10 AM

Gothic are my favorite games ever too :smallsmile:

You will probably like them, and you can find them cheaply in steam here (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6375/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1).