PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an unusual race/class combo

ViolinAnon
2013-05-23, 06:54 PM
Hello!
I am working on a new character, a Kobold Anarch that will use a dragon for his special mount. And I would need help to build this up.
The game is in a 3.5e setting, and I am allowed to use material from 3.5e supplement books, Path Finders and Dragon Magazine, but I am unsure about what I should use? Is it even possible to begin with?

The Anarch is a Paladin variant from Dragon Magazine (#310). It's basically the same deal, except that it is Chaotic Neutral, smites Law and turns Constructs.

Fable Wright
2013-05-23, 07:10 PM
Hello!
I am working on a new character, a Kobold Anarch that will use a dragon for his special mount. And I would need help to build this up.
The game is in a 3.5e setting, and I am allowed to use material from 3.5e supplement books, Path Finders and Dragon Magazine, but I am unsure about what I should use? Is it even possible to begin with?

The Anarch is a Paladin variant from Dragon Magazine (#310). It's basically the same deal, except that it is Chaotic Neutral, smites Law and turns Constructs.

Dragon Steed, from Draconomicon p. 105 and the associated rules on page 139 of the same book give you the options for a Dragon special mount.

ViolinAnon
2013-05-23, 07:51 PM
Dragon Steed, from Draconomicon p. 105 and the associated rules on page 139 of the same book give you the options for a Dragon special mount.
Got it. Would there be any good prestige class for this? Or any dips I could make?

After re-reading the special mount paladin entry, I'm not exactly sure that's what I had in mind. I was aiming for a permanent mount.
Is this a lost cause? Should I stick to paladin, or switch to a more viable class for that ideal?

graymachine
2013-05-23, 08:47 PM
Got it. Would there be any good prestige class for this? Or any dips I could make?

After re-reading the special mount paladin entry, I'm not exactly sure that's what I had in mind. I was aiming for a permanent mount.
Is this a lost cause? Should I stick to paladin, or switch to a more viable class for that ideal?

Well, once you get to 12th level the mount is essentially permanent; at that point you get your mount for 24hrs after calling it, so you essentially just call it every morning. Prior to that, you have it for pretty lengthy periods of the day; you start with having it for 10hrs after calling it, which is pretty much the adventuring day. Honestly, I don't see much reason for the time restriction, so you might want to talk to your DM about waiving it as a house rule.

EDIT: Dips and/or PrCs really depend on what you are trying to do and what your build so far is; do you know the answers to those yet?

ViolinAnon
2013-05-23, 09:00 PM
Well, once you get to 12th level the mount is essentially permanent; at that point you get your mount for 24hrs after calling it, so you essentially just call it every morning. Prior to that, you have it for pretty lengthy periods of the day; you start with having it for 10hrs after calling it, which is pretty much the adventuring day. Honestly, I don't see much reason for the time restriction, so you might want to talk to your DM about waiving it as a house rule.
Right, this makes a lot of sense. I'll check with my DM to see if I could have it with me at all time, and not have to summon it.
I was looking more for a mount/companion than a long-length summon, for fluff reasons.

EDIT: Dips and/or PrCs really depend on what you are trying to do and what your build so far is; do you know the answers to those yet?
Making the character from scratch, but he'll most likely start at level 5 or 6. It's a back up character in case my main one dies, but it seems really likely for now.

My goal here is to have a kobold riding dragons (And various lizards until then, but starting with a young dragon would be great), using spears and most likely doing flyby attacks.
The campaign is in a slightly pirate-y setting (Stormrack's pretty useful for that) and I got the idea that a guy flying on a dragon would be pretty a good advantage for burning down the sails of an enemy ship, or scouting.
I'm using kobold because of backstory reasons, and the Anarch because our campaign is filled with Lawful Evil Outsiders and Constructs, which the Anarch is great against.

Vaz
2013-05-24, 04:41 AM
The Dragon Steed feat grants you a Dragonnel, not a Dragon, until you're 12th level, at which point Wyrmling Gold Dragons become available. As you're CN, rather than LG, though, that does open up which Dragon to take, as there are no N dragons, they're all extremes, CE, CG, LE, or LG; have a scout around in the several Dragons books for all the True Dragons; http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9566.0

From there, choose a Dragon of equal Challenge Rating and Hit Dice that matches an alignment.

graymachine
2013-05-24, 07:00 AM
Oh, you're wanting to build a charger; the PF Cavalier class is much better at mounted charging than Paladins Nevermind, you are on boats. I'm not sure, without having read the Dragon Mount feat, that you're going to get flight with it until later; assuming you qualify at 5th level, that's a little early for a PC to access flight.

That aside, thinking further on the time limit for Special Mount, I can see a purpose mechanically in it in the instance of your mount getting Dismissed by an enemy caster. It should still be Dismissable, for balance purposes, but the time you get for it is so large that I wouldn't consider it an issue. If it still bothers you, I would talk to your DM about making it simple; you can call you mount once per day and it lasts all day. Therefore, if it gets Dismissed, you simply don't have it until the next day.

Also, since you are doing Stormwracked, I would highly recommend listening the the Gamers' Guide to Pathfinder podcast episode on Naval Combat, which has a lot of good general stuff on Stormwracked. The hosts also lean toward optimizing, so it might be helpful to shoot them an email.

ViolinAnon
2013-05-24, 03:22 PM
Well, after a long talk with my DM about some possible balance issues and what not, we settled on giving me the Druid's Animal Companion feature with a very young mettallic dragon (Which will most likely will be bronze). With some adjustments, of course. Less starting Hit Dice and reduced progression on the Animal Companion table are two of them. Different alignment too, but this is due to a few factors concerning the rather odd setting of the game and the weird backstory of both the kobold and the dragon.
In any case, the dragon situation is settled.

Now, for the actual character I'll be playing..
I'm going for a melee weapons and medium-heavy armor character with mounted combat focus. (I really know Kobolds aren't really made for that, but that's why I need help here.)
I was thinking of grabbing two levels of Fighter first for the feats, and then jumping into the Anarch.
Other than that, I'm not really sure about where to go.
I've looked a bit into the Holy Warrior paladin variant, and I'll need to check the paladin's spell list to see if it's an interesting alternative.
I also read the Dragonrider PrC, and it looks like it could be useful.
Any thoughts about those things? Or suggestions for other alternatives?

The Viscount
2013-05-25, 04:06 PM
Dragon Magic allows you to gain a drakkensteed mount. Not exactly a dragon, but pretty dragon-y until you get something better. Holy Warrior isn't worth it.

ViolinAnon
2013-05-26, 09:20 AM
Dragon Magic allows you to gain a drakkensteed mount. Not exactly a dragon, but pretty dragon-y until you get something better. Holy Warrior isn't worth it.
Noted. The dragon situation was handled already, but it's good to know about Holy Warrior.

I think I will take the Draconic Template for the Kobold. It's LA +1, but gives Strength, Constitution and Charisma (my three most important stats), and a bonus to natural armor among other things.
It happens that magic sleep effect is a huge part of this setting, so the +4 to saves against it is also very welcomed.

Now I'm not really sure about the feats I should grab. Power Attack? The Spirited Charge tree? I'm not sure of what'd work well other than those.

I think I'll be using a Greatspear while mounted and keep a backup longsword and shield if I'm ever stuck without the dragon.

Thoughts?

The Viscount
2013-05-26, 10:57 AM
If you're focusing on spears, the Kobold Fighter Substitution Level (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060106a&page=3) might be of some use to you.

ViolinAnon
2013-05-26, 11:17 AM
I looked into it a bit. The main problem with it is that I was aiming for heavy armor, and grabbing the first level would remove both heavy AND medium armor proficiencies. The second and fourth level are a bit more interesting.
I'll need to check what feats I'll really need to make this work, and if I have a free spot I'll probably grab the second level.