PDA

View Full Version : Animated Memory

Ruethgar
2013-05-23, 09:15 PM
So I have a character who can animate one tree per day per 4HD as an animated object for 1hr/HD. I found an obscure enough construct creation method that I can expend an extra use per day to grant one of them sentience.

If I grant one sentience, the effect fades and I enchant it again with sentience, does it regain the memories from the last time it was enchanted or is it new each time?

Also, if I say, get persisted or permanent Bull's Strength, Fox's Cunning, Cat's Grace, Owl's Wisdom and Eagles Splendor on the construct and his animation magic runs out, would he still be animate since he still has all the essential ability scores? If so, would he still be a construct or an object? If he is no longer animate, would those spells just fizzle since he is no longer a creature or could I animate him again and they still be there?

Waker
2013-05-23, 09:24 PM
If I grant one sentience, the effect fades and I enchant it again with sentience, does it regain the memories from the last time it was enchanted or is it new each time?
I would say that it regains the memories of when it was last awakened. Spells like Speak with Dead seem to imply that objects can store memories even absent the presence of a soul or other animating force.

Also, if I say, get persisted or permanent Bull's Strength, Fox's Cunning, Cat's Grace, Owl's Wisdom and Eagles Splendor on the construct and his animation magic runs out, would he still be animate since he still has all the essential ability scores? If so, would he still be a construct or an object? If he is no longer animate, would those spells just fizzle since he is no longer a creature or could I animate him again and they still be there?
I would assume the spell would run their course, but not grant any bonus since the objects ability scores would be Str:- or whatever.

TuggyNE
2013-05-23, 09:29 PM
So I have a character who can animate one tree per day per 4HD as an animated object for 1hr/HD. Through I found an obscure enough construct creation method that I can expend an extra use per day to grant one of them sentience.

Fiat, but maybe?

The spells would still be there, but they would have no effect; null ability scores do not accept bonuses, and remain null (∅, rather than 0).