PDA

View Full Version : question

Immabozo
2013-05-23, 09:30 PM
Are SLA's and Spells know considered "Special Attacks"? (looking at Incarnate Construct)

Waker
2013-05-23, 09:38 PM
I just randomly opened up the page on Archons, but it seems that SLAs are listed under Special Attacks. Would have to check against other monsters, but for now I'll say yes.

TuggyNE
2013-05-23, 09:43 PM
answer Well, Waker already gave the correct response, so I figured I'd go for the literal! :P

Immabozo
2013-05-23, 09:43 PM
I just randomly opened up the page on Archons, but it seems that SLAs are listed under Special Attacks. Would have to check against other monsters, but for now I'll say yes.

Thanks. Also, if you have con giving templates, become a construct, then incarnate construct gives you a con score, do your con giving templates kick in again?

Waker
2013-05-23, 09:50 PM
Thanks. Also, if you have con giving templates, become a construct, then incarnate construct gives you a con score, do your con giving templates kick in again?

Ugh, template stacking. Someone more qualified on the topic would be better at answering it, but I would assume that if you had a template that granted a Con boost then became a Construct you would lose the boost, even if you later lost the Construct type later. That is just my interpretation and is not necessarily accurate.

Immabozo
2013-05-23, 11:41 PM
Ugh, template stacking. Someone more qualified on the topic would be better at answering it, but I would assume that if you had a template that granted a Con boost then became a Construct you would lose the boost, even if you later lost the Construct type later. That is just my interpretation and is not necessarily accurate.

True. I dont know the rules on it, but I feel you are probably right, I just am hoping the opposite because it hurts me to loose all that con!!

Curmudgeon
2013-05-24, 05:30 AM
If you look at ADDING A TEMPLATE, STEP-BY-STEP on page 293 of Monster Manual it's pretty clear: you add the template when you get it; you don't get to go back later and add it in again.

Immabozo
2013-05-24, 11:34 AM
OH, goodie, thank you, I'll go check that out!

Chronos
2013-05-24, 01:21 PM
They're usually considered special attacks, but it varies from monster to monster depending on what the SLAs do. For instance, the Unicorn (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/unicorn.htm) has its spell-like abilities listed under "Special Qualities", because all of its SLAs are mostly non-offensive (curing spells, Remove Poison, Detect Evil, and teleporting within its forest).

In cases where the creature has both offensive and non-offensive SLAs (such as a Planetar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelPlanetar)), there will generally be only one listing in the statblock, under "Special Attacks".

Immabozo
2013-05-24, 01:34 PM
They're usually considered special attacks, but it varies from monster to monster depending on what the SLAs do. For instance, the Unicorn (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/unicorn.htm) has its spell-like abilities listed under "Special Qualities", because all of its SLAs are mostly non-offensive (curing spells, Remove Poison, Detect Evil, and teleporting within its forest).

In cases where the creature has both offensive and non-offensive SLAs (such as a Planetar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelPlanetar)), there will generally be only one listing in the statblock, under "Special Attacks".

I was afraid of such. Thanks. So Incarnate Construct takes them away :smallmad:

TuggyNE
2013-05-24, 06:09 PM
I was afraid of such. Thanks. So Incarnate Construct takes them away :smallmad:

Well, of course. What do you expect from negative LA?

unseenmage
2013-05-24, 06:19 PM
I was going to ask this in it's own thread but I'll ask here so long as no one objects.

How long in-game does it take to say build an effigy of yourself, awaken it, incarnate it, then build an effigy of that?

I'm genuinely curious as it would please the great god of all things inventive, Gond, and I'm sure my DM would love to reward the in-character creativity while punishing the in-character universe breaking.
(Will Gond save me from the Inevitable consequences of my curiosity?)

Immabozo
2013-05-24, 06:39 PM
Well, of course. What do you expect from negative LA?

shhhhhhh. I can dream, cant I?