View Full Version : Need a Quick lore Check : Devils or demons that use evil pally ??

CyberThread
2013-05-23, 10:06 PM
What devil or demon lords are most likely to use a pally of tyranny or slaughter ?

Waker
2013-05-23, 10:16 PM
What devil or demon lords are most likely to use a pally of tyranny or slaughter ?

Use them for what? Do you simply mean which of them is likely to have servants? Among the Devils, Asmodeus is the most prominent. For Demons that would go to Orcus.

Iamyourking
2013-05-23, 10:48 PM
Bael is the most militant of the Lords and Asmodeus of course the most prominent, but Belial is pretty militant too while the modus opperandi of Mammon and Dispater necessitates some legbreakers.

I'd rate it as:
Bael-Asmodeus
Belial
Mammon-Dispater
Lillith
Mephistopholes
Leviathan (By which I mean probably none, considering that he has no authority whatsoever)

After the Lords, Glasya and Fierna are probably the only Arch-Devils who would have any; and while I'm sure most of the Dukes have some Abigor is probably the only one who has any in any numbers.

Demons wise, I'd say Demogorgon probably has the most; since he isn't much behind Orcus in power but doesn't have access to undead to use as agents. Grazz't and Zuggotmy come in after them, since they are still Demon Monarchs, but there's so many Demon Princes and Lords that trying to rank them would be difficult.

inuyasha
2013-05-23, 11:21 PM
Use them for what? Do you simply mean which of them is likely to have servants? Among the Devils, Asmodeus is the most prominent. For Demons that would go to Orcus.

I dissagree with the orcus part because of this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/Orcus.JPG

does he look like he wants to expend effort to train for class levels?

hamishspence
2013-05-24, 06:17 AM
As written, there's a big obstacle to using either type in the Blood War- the statement in BoVD that "Killing a fiend is always a Good act" (and, in the rules for each of these Evil Paladin types, committing a good act makes them Fall).

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-24, 06:21 AM

What does Orcus not having class levels have to do with anti-paladin servants? :smallconfused::smallconfused:

ArcturusV
2013-05-24, 06:32 AM
I'd say the real answer is "Any". Though I'd probably nix the aforementioned Fierna as the description of her says "no mortals worship her".

It's just the nature of Evil. Good is picky. It's a fussy little eater that refuses to touch anything that doesn't fit it's criteria.

Evil, for it's part? Much less so. Evil is all including. They care more about the Ends than the Means typically. If someone wants to do their bidding by taking up the mantle of Paladinhood? Go for it.

Evil just has that sort of attitude to it and it's methodologies that say I probably would mean unless there is something specifically saying No, they would sponsor Paladins.

Fierna because "No mortals worship her". Maybe a Demon Lord like Gaunadaur who's followers are all supposed to be things like Oozes without brains.

hamishspence
2013-05-25, 11:00 AM
I'd say the real answer is "Any". Though I'd probably nix the aforementioned Fierna as the description of her says "no mortals worship her".

In BOVD, yes. In the later-written Fiendish Codex 2, however, Fierna has started cultivating cults to her on the Material Plane- Belial's cult offers Knowledge, Evil and Trickery domains, whereas hers offers Fire, Evil, and Trickery.

inuyasha
2013-05-25, 04:18 PM
What does Orcus not having class levels have to do with anti-paladin servants? :smallconfused::smallconfused:

OH!!! Antipaladin SERVANTS! Wow i feel stupid...

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-25, 07:15 PM
As written, there's a big obstacle to using either type in the Blood War- the statement in BoVD that "Killing a fiend is always a Good act"

Wait, so that means that long time Blood War veterans will bing neutral or even good, simply by killing other devils/demons?

That's one for the dysfunction thread.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-25, 08:00 PM
Wait, so that means that long time Blood War veterans will bing neutral or even good, simply by killing other devils/demons?

That's one for the dysfunction thread.

That's unlikely given that demons and devils probably spend their free time doing to most evil things they can think of.

Azernak0
2013-05-25, 08:12 PM
As written, there's a big obstacle to using either type in the Blood War- the statement in BoVD that "Killing a fiend is always a Good act" (and, in the rules for each of these Evil Paladin types, committing a good act makes them Fall).

Jeez, that is unbearably silly. A Lawful Evil Paladin cannot kill Chaotic Evil things without instantly becoming not totally Evil? Wait... ANY 'Good' act makes Evil Paladins Fall? So the person that is LE can never be human and care for family members? They always have to be stereotypical Nazis riding dinosaurs?

Wow. I had forgotten how badly WotC had written Alignment...

TuggyNE
2013-05-25, 08:55 PM
Wait... ANY 'Good' act makes Evil Paladins Fall? So the person that is LE can never be human and care for family members? They always have to be stereotypical Nazis riding dinosaurs?

It's bad, but it's not that bad. Being human/caring for family members is not a Good act, but a Neutral act. Even caring for members of your race as a whole isn't necessarily significantly Good.

ArcturusV
2013-05-25, 09:01 PM
Not even if it were, does a single subset of acts change your alignment. It's usually defined as regular patterns of behavior. So if you're staunchly Lawful Evil, you can still say... donate time and money to the Save Orphans of Random Adventurer Based Arson-Murder Association without it seriously impacting your alignment.

Though yeah, Paladin shenanigans. A Paladin of Slaughter killing a Demon would have done a "Good" act and Fell...

Slipperychicken
2013-05-25, 09:47 PM
Though yeah, Paladin shenanigans. A Paladin of Slaughter killing a Demon would have done a "Good" act and Fell...

Does he get the chance to change his Antipaladin levels for Paladin ones long enough to get back to an Evil Cleric for Atonement?

A_S
2013-05-26, 12:00 AM
Does he get the chance to change his Antipaladin levels for Paladin ones long enough to get back to an Evil Cleric for Atonement?

No, but if he takes levels in Radiant Servant of Pelor, he gets bonus class features from his otherwise useless Fallen Antipaladin levels.

Arcanist
2013-05-26, 01:15 AM

While I agree that the old Orcus would never have trained for class levels, the new and improved Orcus would totally train for it! :smalltongue:

http://planewalking.dungeons.ru/denizens/abyssal%20lords/orcus.jpg

... Meet the new boss! Same as the old boss!

Psyren
2013-05-26, 01:55 AM
I would say any fiends that endorse Blackguards would welcome these guys.