PDA

View Full Version : What era does "The dark is Rising"(2nd book of the series) take place in?

Togath
2013-05-24, 01:23 AM
As the title suggests, i was re-reading some of my old books, and began the "The Dark is Rising" series.. after having finished Over Sea Under Stone I began on The Dark is Rising, and wondering what era it was set in.. at first I thought early to mid 1800s.. until the subject of radios came up..
after that I also noticed mention of the father's van, and later on even a television..

would late 1960s to 1971(given that it was likely written in 1972, and finally published in 1973) be an accurate assumption to make given these aspects?

Mordar
2013-05-24, 11:47 AM
As the title suggests, i was re-reading some of my old books, and began the "The Dark is Rising" series.. after having finished Over Sea Under Stone I began on The Dark is Rising, and wondering what era it was set in.. at first I thought early to mid 1800s.. until the subject of radios came up..
after that I also noticed mention of the father's van, and later on even a television..

would late 1960s to 1971(given that it was likely written in 1972, and finally published in 1973) be an accurate assumption to make given these aspects?

Been ages since I read them, but I very much remember thinking they were contemporary. That would have been in the 70s/early 80s, so I think it is reasonable to assume that you've got the right of it.

- M