PDA

View Full Version : Aid Another Query

AlanBruce
2013-05-24, 01:28 AM
Greetings. I have a DMM Persist cleric who will be leveling up to 15th very soon. He plans on persisting an AMF to walk around in.

Then he mentioned Extraordinary Spell Aim, from CAdv, which allows him to make a Spellcraft check (DC 33 for AMF, I believe), to be at the center of the AMF without having his spells nullified.

That sounds like a very good plan, really. However, it dawned upon me that the check is mot astronomically high, but high enough. That's when the player mentioned that he could have the other casters in the party (UM, Beguiler, and Warlock) grant Aid Another during off time to make the check.

I am aware of Aid Another, but I would like to consult if it can be applied to spellcraft checks, since I have never seen it used that way before.

Thank you very much in advance.

TuggyNE
2013-05-24, 01:38 AM
It's legal unless there's some obvious reason why Spellcraft cannot benefit from assistance. Seems fairly plausible to me, really, since Spellcraft is essentially the rational analysis of magical patterns and tendencies, and it's definitely possible to get a substantial benefit from having others around to bounce analyses off of.

AlanBruce
2013-05-24, 01:45 AM
Thank you for the quick response. I was uncertain about where it landed on the ruling side, but now it has been cleared.

Deophaun
2013-05-24, 07:07 AM
That sounds like a very good plan, really
Except it's not, as while his spells won't be nullified, spells targeting him won't be nullified, either. In order for his AMF to have any effect, he'd have to be standing next to the creature/thing he wants to target. Situationally useful, but generally terrible.

Jasdoif
2013-05-24, 01:09 PM
Keep in mind, you can only aid another on a skill check you can attempt yourself. If the other casters couldn't attempt the check on their own (for example, if they don't have the feat themselves), they can't attempt to aid the check either.

dantiesilva
2013-05-24, 01:11 PM
I would be the player in question and Deophaun I have to say you are wrong as I was originally going with sculpt spell but the playground said that for what I wanted I would need ESA instead as it dose not create a hole in the AMF. I will search for the thread.

Snails
2013-05-24, 01:14 PM
Keep in mind, you can only aid another on a skill check you can attempt yourself. If the other casters couldn't attempt the check on their own (for example, if they don't have the feat themselves), they can't attempt to aid the check either.

Good catch. While other can make a Spellcraft check, they cannot legally attempt the task of Extraordinary Spell Aim without the feat, regardless of their Spellcraft ranks.

Aid Another

You can help another character achieve success on his or her skill check by making the same kind of skill check in a cooperative effort. If you roll a 10 or higher on your check, the character you are helping gets a +2 bonus to his or her check, as per the rule for favorable conditions. (You can’t take 10 on a skill check to aid another.) In many cases, a character’s help won’t be beneficial, or only a limited number of characters can help at once.

In cases where the skill restricts who can achieve certain results you can’t aid another to grant a bonus to a task that your character couldn’t achieve alone.

dantiesilva
2013-05-24, 01:20 PM
www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283962

Is the thread where it was explained to me that ESA blocks all spells from effecting me from enemy casters.

tyckspoon
2013-05-24, 01:42 PM
Greetings. I have a DMM Persist cleric who will be leveling up to 15th very soon. He plans on persisting an AMF to walk around in.

Then he mentioned Extraordinary Spell Aim, from CAdv, which allows him to make a Spellcraft check (DC 33 for AMF, I believe), to be at the center of the AMF without having his spells nullified.

That sounds like a very good plan, really. However, it dawned upon me that the check is mot astronomically high, but high enough...

Point him at Divine Insight (Complete Adventurer) and/or Guidance of the Avatar (web article. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) Warning: These spells can completely trivialize any skill check that can be prepped for. Especially since they use differing bonus types, so they'll stack with each other.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-24, 01:48 PM
Point him at Divine Insight (Complete Adventurer) and/or Guidance of the Avatar (web article. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) Warning: These spells can completely trivialize any skill check that can be prepped for. Especially since they use differing bonus types, so they'll stack with each other.

Magic: Doing it better than you since dice were a thing.:smallcool:

My epic monk/wizard has a wyrm rod silver dragon that uses these spells before all of the dragon's Craft checks to snap his fingers and fabricate adamantine armour to sell back to the npc that they bought the adamantine from.

Ah, magic. It wouldn't be D&D without it, but it's barely D&D with it.:smallbiggrin:

Emmerask
2013-05-24, 01:59 PM
www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283962

Is the thread where it was explained to me that ESA blocks all spells from effecting me from enemy casters.

Overall the feat is terribly written^^
But the dm has some room of interpretation,
mine would be that you would remove the antimagic zone from the field you stand in due to the spell saying

You can shape a spell's area to exclude one creature from its effects.

To exclude someone from the effects the effect is not there because you reshaped the spell area...

All of this of course assumes firstly that the dm actually allows to remove the origin of an emanation effect (amf) without removing the entire effect.
I personally would not.