PDA

View Full Version : Half-Drow Spider Caster? (3.5, Build Advise)

AutumnLotus
2013-05-24, 03:12 AM
Soo..There is a large chunk of space used in the Drow of the Underdark book involving vermin and, specifically, spiders. I have always enjoyed using swarms whenever it was available, and since I have been informed that half-drow solves most problems with restrictions in that book so might I ask: What are the best options for using vermin and/or spiders as a basic theme?

2gig
2013-05-24, 03:26 AM
Dragon Magazine 329 (p98) has an addendum to Improved Familiar that allows a Swarm of Spiders at level 3. There's also Spider Companion from Drow of the Underdark. (Spider Companion has nothing to do with swarms, I derped).

Rethmar
2013-05-24, 03:38 AM
I forget if it is in Drow of the Underdark or Underdark, but the prestige class Arachnomancer is a caster that has a bunch of spider traits and abilities.

dysprosium
2013-05-24, 09:32 AM
I forget if it is in Drow of the Underdark or Underdark, but the prestige class Arachnomancer is a caster that has a bunch of spider traits and abilities.

There actually is a class called "Arachnomancer" in both books. However both of them are widely different.

dantiesilva
2013-05-24, 01:07 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284369

This is a homebrew that me and Debihuman came up with because of the problem of no real drow classes, hope it helps.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-24, 01:23 PM
There actually is a class called "Arachnomancer" in both books. However both of them are widely different.

Indeed. In one of the finest examples of the crack team of editors over at WotC, they broke their own unspoken rule about not reusing names (probably connected to their rule about the latest printing of something superseding previous printings of things with the same name). However, a quick glance at either class shows that they are not at all the same, and thus unlikely that one was supposed to trump the other.

A very strange situation, indeed.

On the plus side, both classes offer interesting benefits. In particular, one of them (not sure which one exactly), appears to offer a constant effect, unlimited use poisonous touch attack. Venomfire lately?