PDA

View Full Version : The Fantastical Land of Gil (wip) (PEACH)

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-24, 03:42 AM
A long time ago and a thousand eons hence, through the Rainbow Gate and across the Midnight Sea, through the Dream Storm and across the barren Desert of the Wastes, there lies a land of magic, wonder and terror. It lies on the eastern coast of a nameless continent, braced against impassable mountains and frothing seas. It is a land where the Trees walk and Dragons own small novelty shops, where Witches cackle and Gremlins grumble, where the chap on your left in the bar is made of straw, and the comely Elf maiden serving you drinks is as pale as the moon.

Snap your heels three times and make a wish...and then get walking. Quickly too, before that conifer thinks you're walking on his lawn...

Welcome to the Fantastical Land of Gil! Watch your step, mind your luggage, and remember that leaving the road is ill-advised. Don't say I didn't warn you.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/sithlord7/GIL_zpsf0fc9712.jpg

What is Gil?:
"Certainly NOT currency. Not since the Kingdom of Gil fell. Now everyone trades in Gillians.

Not the answer you were looking for? Right. Gil is a land in the most eastern part of this world, whatever that world might be. Long ago, it is said, when the Four Faerie Queens created the world, the Blue and the Red Queens fought over one particular place, that being modern Gil. In their brief kerfuffle, the Queens accidentally soaked the land with magic, to the point of over-saturation. Strangely, this made anything living in Gil somewhat resistant to magical power, and yet everything in Gil is magic. Too much of a good thing, am I right?

Anyway, in the end the Faeries stormed off from each other to work on new projects, thus permanently breaking the Fabulous Four (although truth be told they each had quite successful solo careers). But before they left, they each left an Heir to rule Gil in their names, and to destroy the other Heir. Joke was on the Faeries though. The Red King and the Blue Queen just ended up hitched and married happily ever after.

And the land's been fine ever since. Well, except for that whole, "Civil War" thing...but you can check the History section for that.

Gil's saturated with Magic, as I said. Oh? Didn't introduce myself? Sorry 'bout that. Name's Garfunkel Malamagik. Or GM, if you prefer. I was the, uh, Magician. In the history books, I assure you. And not the good parts, I am ashamed to say.

Where was I? Ah, yes! Gil is saturated with magic to the point where everything's been exposed to it. Everything. Seriously. I've met Trees who call themselves Adventurers, and Dragons who own bakeries. Magic is everywhere, commonplace even. But no one seems to take it up as a calling. There's usually no need. Save for the Witches, of course, but then there's a section for them too if you care to scroll down this funny thing I'm writing on. Bit scared when y’all told me I was writing using Pixels. I thought you meant Pixies!

Anyway. Gil's got all sorts of folk in it. Humans, Gremlins, Scarecrows, Striders, Dragons, Witches, and even Moon Elves and Dwarves. And they all get along mostly. Mostly. Things have been more awkward of late, seeing as how the Gremlins have united most of their people into a proper Empire, and the Dragons and Witches long ago merged their kingdoms together. Those groups don't see eye to eye all that often. The Moon folk are more recent immigrants, but they've rubbed a few the wrong way. And Scarecrows are just creepy. Really. Look at 'em!

I suppose the Witches need special mention, seeing as how they're the only really magic folk around. Odd folk. I should know, seeing as I'm one of them. Only bunch of folks who can cast the really nasty stuff, the magic of myth and legend. But they're normal people at first. They tend towards colors that suit their rank (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple), and I myself sport a lovely Blue stovepipe hat thankyouverymuch. It's just...when someone gets a certain amount of power, they're not really "People" anymore. These are called the Witches of the Black, and they wear all black all the time. Only folk allowed the honor. I've never heard of one being beaten, not ever, save for when the rest of them strip one of their power, and that's rarer than...um, something exceedingly rare? Not so keen with the metaphors. Just as a precaution, stay clear of the Black.

Adventuring in Gil isn't just a hobby. People do it as a job! Adventurers train at the Adventurer's Guild before heading out into the world to forge their own destiny! Most die horribly. But enough live on in legend and glory to where it seems like a decent living. Except for the dying. Which is common. But it stands to reason that most folk involved in a Story (and what's life but a big story with not enough pictures?) will be Adventurers or their companions.

What's the World like?:
Colorful. I mean, really colorful. Everything's sort of in that Fairy Tale limbo, but just on the tail end. Most folk'll dress in tunics, shirts, pants, whathaveyou like they always have. Except of course now there's also stovepipe hats, frock coats, pinstripes and spots! It's madness, fashion is. Castles are still lived in. They've got hot and cold running water now, and even inside lavatories! Fancy.

Then there's the whole, Gremlin thing. Gremlins are clever beasts, and once they noticed that they could make magic powder on the cheap, they whipped up a crossbow with no bow (so I guess it's just... a cross?), fitted a bunch of wire-frame copper instruments and a long metal barrel to it, and started casting pre-set spells the cheeky blisters! Imagine a line of 'em cracking off Fireball like they was arrows. Damned silly, if you ask me. They're even trying to make automatic horses. They ain't right. Next they'll want to fly!

Enjoy your stay in Gil. Don't drink the water (you'll turn into something no doubt), don't step on any Witch's toes (same), and always remember to watch out. For Adventure!"

A Message from GM, the Magician, Viceroy and Regent of Gil

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-24, 03:43 AM
Reserved Post 1: History Stuff, or How I learned to Stop worrying and Love the Exposition!

[UNDER CONSTRUCTION! - BEWARE OF PLOTHOLES!]

With the union of the King and Queen and the Ruby Throne, the official calendar of Gil begins.

-1,000 RT - The Red and Blue Faerie Queens begin their conflict.

-500 RT - Tea time is called, resulting in a cease fire.

-499 RT - Ceasefire ends when Blue Queen forgets to say "Bless you" as Red sneezes.

-1 RT - The Fab Four break up and leave. The Ruby Throne is founded during New Year's Eve.

100 RT - Queen Gillian I is crowned monarch, ushering in an age of peace and prosperity.

230 RT - The first Witch of the Black, Annie of Highcliff of the Black, is first documented. The First Witch War begins.

231 RT - First Witch War concludes with Annie of Highcliff of the Black being forced to tell riddles to random travelers forevermore.

500 RT - First Scarecrow is created by animating sticks, straw and canvas with power from the Dreamtime. The Dream Lord is displeased at this intrusion.

611 RT - The Nightmare War begins as the Scarecrows, led by the Dream Lord, fight to free themselves from oppression by the Proletariat (whatever that means).

650 RT - Scarecrow Civil War begins when an argument in the Parliament over whether to eradicate crows or weaponize them gets out of hand. A third, neutral side appeared briefly to argue whether Ravens should be included. The Civil War ended three hours later, when a plot by an anonymous masked man (called Guy Crowe in the retellings) to blow up Parliament was thwarted, and they overwhelmingly voted to expel all birds from Hollowrun.

672 RT - Guy Crowe's Day becomes a national holiday.

689 RT - The Dream Lord and Queen Gillian XVI become engaged to wed to end the Nightmare War. Their issue are Princess Gillian (later Gillian XVII) and Prince Morpheus (Morpheus II of Dreamtime).

823 RT - The island of Deepstone is taken over by a Dragon-Witch coalition.

825 RT - The Concordant is made, binding the Dragon and Witch Kingdoms together to form the Deepstone Empire. The first Empress, Magdalene I, takes power.

1100 RT - The Faraway islands are discovered by Ferrar Faraway the Fourth, Earl of Feigh County, Frelland.

1400 RT - Gillian XXVII is lost while on an expedition into the Dreamtime. Her vizier, The Magician of Gil, holds the Throne as regent.

1423 RT - GM makes the first major blunder of his reign when he burns a Northrealmer's Ancestor Totem for firewood by mistake. Northrealm declares independence. Similar catastrophes occur for the next sixty years.

1429 RT - The Magician causes the Great Fire of Reverie when he introduces the city to fireworks. Thousands of Scarecrows burn.

1433 RT - Magician creates a well system for the Black Sand Cities. The water draws every monster from the desert to the cities, resulting in massive destruction.

1440 RT - The Gumphs invade from the Western Wastes. All are lost in the Maze of Nowhere, built by the Magician. His inability to end the enchantment has caused thousands of innocents to vanish while traveling through Nowhere, Anywhere and Somewhere.

1445 RT - Nowhere, Anywhere, Somewhere, Black Sand and Hollowrun secede.

1450 RT - Contact is made with the Moon Elves, who are granted Frelland as a show of friendship. The local Frellish weren't asked about this, revolt, and are sent off to the Faraway Islands, thousands of miles to the southeast.

1460 RT - A massive soccer riot splits the territories of Westland and Eastshore. Both sides blame the game's ref, GM. Succession follows.

1476 RT - Hobbland is created as a number of Gremlin states finally unite politically and declare their independence. A three-week war against Gil ends swiftly with the Magician's capture by Hobbish forces.

1480 RT - A number of states emerge from Gil's remains. The Federal Republic of Gil retains the old capital as well as some territory around it. The Magician, being imprisoned since his defeat, is allowed to go free provided he leave Gil and NEVER return. Gremany and Highcliff are formed, much to Hobbland's annoyance.

1500 RT - Present Day.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-24, 03:45 AM
Reserved Post 2: Races, Species, whathaveyou

Human

Gremlin

Scarecrow

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/sithlord7/scarecrowcolor2_zpsfc708a6b.jpg
Scarecrows

"Sackcloth, sticks, straw, stitches. That's what little Scarecrows are made of." ~Anonymous

Scarecrows were originally constructed to serve under Queen Gillian VI. But due to their construction including a portion of the Dreamtime, they were eventually united as Children of the Dream Lord, at which point they sued for independence. They remain a diligent people, always "on-duty" of a sorts, on the lookout for trouble, and willing to lend a hand against it, if possible.

Personality
Scarecrows are vigilant. They are hardwired to watch things with an alert eye. This leads them to take a "wait and see" approach to life, preferring to wait and let things sort themselves out, only acting as a last resort. But when they do act, it is often in defense of something, whether a cause, a person or a place. Scarecrows see themselves as defenders, and wish to protect others. This often makes them patient, yet forceful leaders, and watchful guardians. They are a little on the "dumb" side though, having little more than straw to think with.

Physical
No two Scarecrows look alike. Straw, stitches, cloth and sticks are only the most common appearance. Some go for the sackcloth look, whereas other use pumpkins and other large vegetables for their heads. All of them look humanoid at the very least, and most of them dress in gaudy colors. They lack a central nervous system, as well as bones, making them very difficult to kill, though they are known to panic when around fire.

Relations
They enjoy the company of others, and try not to make a fuss about their companions. Dendrons are their favorite, although even they couldn't say why (perhaps something to do with being a "living" plant). They dislike Dragons and Witches due to the whole...fire...thing, but get along quite well with Moon Elves and Dwarves. Humans and Gremlins are seen neutrally, without prejudice.

Alignment
Scarecrows are often dedicated to causes, making them lean Lawful. But their compassion for others tends to outweigh this, making many Scarecrows Neutral Good.

Lands
Scarecrows are the majority in Hollowrun, Somewhere, Wildland and a substantial minority in the FRG. They often prefer land that is wide open and flat, or much higher than its surroundings, in both cases to keep watch more efficiently.

Religion
Scarecrows are deeply connected with the Dreamtime, a metaphysical plane of existence existing perpendicular to Gil. This is because their sentience was created by taking a piece of that realm and implanting it inside the Scarecrows' body. Scarecrows tend to revere the Dream Lord, but rarely go further than that, instead preferring to advance Scientism, a Worship of Measureable Things. Rulers are considered holy artifacts, and units of measurement/time are spoken as psalms.

Language
All Scarecrows speak Gilese, the common tongue in Gil. They tend to speak with an accent, lacking teeth and tongues. Still, Scarecrow Gilese is considered a dialect, not a language since the difference is slight. Many of them also speak Frel, Moon-Speak and Jibberwok (the official Dream Language).

Names
Scarecrows tend to pick Gilese birth names (ie: Tom, ****, Harry, etc) while preferring "Dream" Surnames (Morpheaseus, Snikkersnak, Vorpal, Twidilidil, Smith, etc). Some go so far as to only use Dream names, though these belong to a vocal minority generally referred to as Somnombulists, who take umbrage at having been taken from the Dream Time at all.

Adventurers
Though many Scarecrows possess an instinctive desire to stay rather stationary, many feel compelled to wander, a state known as Walkabout. It is currently unknown why some Scarecrows possess this trait while others do not, though it appears to be tied directly to the Dream Time, in particular the Realm of Oracles. Scarecrows on Walkabout seem subconsciously aware that their wanderings have a definite end-goal. Older Scarecrow may even learn what their goal, or Fate, is after many years.

Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma. Scarecrows are quick, and deceptively insightful, despite their lack of...ahem...intellectual assets. Their fearful aura makes it hard at times for people to enjoy their company.

Scarecrows are immune to poison, and do not require sleep, food or water.

Regeneration: Fire and Slashing weapons deal normal damage to Scarecrows. If they lose a body part or limb, they can reattach it instantly by holding it up to the stump. Otherwise the Scarecrow may use a Standard Action every turn for 1d4+1 turns to "re-stuff" themselves. This draws an attack of opportunity.

Scarecrows receive a +4 to Listen, Spot and Search checks. Their preternatural perception allows them to sense secret doors if they pass within 5ft of them.

Scarecrows are, appropriately, quite frightening. They add 1/2 their class levels to Intimidate Checks. Anyone who travels with/knows a Scarecrow for more than a week is immune to that particular Scarecrow's Fear Aura.

Dendrons
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/sithlord7/drendon2_zpsb9dc8065.jpg
Pardon the awful, awful picture.

Nothing says "Ancient Race of Immortals" like a living Tree. Forests and groves of a given complexity/age tend to have desires, or at least quirks. Sometimes, this collective will requires an Agent. These agents are sentient Dendrons, sent out into the world with no knowledge of its customs or beliefs, or other things one would hope to have before starting an adventure. So, a super-strong, nearly immortal, utterly naive, mute avatar of nature, in a nutshell...

Personality
Dendrons are incredibly naive. They are regular trees who have broken off from the Collective, and thus tend to have no prior life experiences of their own. On the rare occasion that the same tree is sent out more than once, it retains its knowledge and personality from before. Still, curiosity about absolutely everything, mixed with almost childlike acceptance of anything told to it are Dendrons's most common traits.

Physical
Dendrons come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and no two are truly the same. They range between 7 and 12ft in height, and weigh anything from 500-2,000 lbs, accordingly. Their skin resembles bark, both in coloration and in durability, and varies depending on the species of tree. Their foliage is similar to non-sentient trees, based on species, and serves the same purpose as hair: Looks pretty. Dendrons have no gender, and cannot tell the difference on their own. They are incapable of verbal speech, instead relying upon a sophisticated system of hand-gestures and sign language to get their points across. Due to the ambient magical energies of Gil, so long as a creature speaks a language, they will understand what the Dendron is "saying" and vice versa. Dendrons take a somewhat humanoid shape.

Relations
Dendrons have no special love or hate for any race, but the fact that Scarecrows are stuffed with dead plant matter unnerves them to no end.

Alignment
Dendrons are inevitably defined by their Grove or Forest. Their commitment to their leafy brethren makes them Lawful. Depending on their affections for other beings, Dendrons can range from Good to Neutral, but rarely (if ever) evil.

Lands
Dendrons originate from any land where trees grow, but most appear in Gremany, westernmost Hobbland, The FR of Gil, Nowhere and Somewhere, and parts of Eastshore and Hollowrun.

Religion
Dendrons have no religion. They feel connected to and dependent upon each other and Life as a concept, but they attach no spiritual meaning to this. Their "Great Link" is treated far more practically and mundanely for a religion to form. Dendrons honor the Collective, but do not worship it. They are, however, respectful of others' beliefs. This is more due to not understanding non-Dendrons very well, rather than true empathy or concern.

Language
Dendrons have no spoken language. Their method of communication is based on complex hand signs, meaningful looks and the versatile Shrug. Yet due to their magical nature, everyone who is able to see them can understand their meaning, and vice versa. Dendrons cannot make noises via speech as they lack a larynx, or throat for that matter. They also cannot play wind instruments.

Names
Dendrons are only named when separated from their collective, and in those cases their actual True Names cannot be spoken nor written legibly by any being, living or dead. Dendrons tend to adopt names based on the culture they find themselves in, or one they take a fancy to. They affix the local name of their forest or grove to the end of their names, as in "Johaan of Blackwood", or "Shad of West Gledding".

Adventurers
Adventuring Dendrons are not so rare. In a time of crisis or need, a forest/grove will send one of their own out on a mission, or simply to gather information/reconnaissance. An individual is "Awakened" and sent forth into the world. Sometimes, if a grove or forest is reduced significantly in numbers, the few remaining members will become Awakened and seek out a new grove or forest. Some of these will either go off alone to scout, or decide to find some other purpose in life, though most Dendrons are uncomfortable with being separated forever from a group. Most forests and groves have more than one of its members Awakened at any one time, though usually no more than three.

Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom. Dendrons are powerful, but often gullible or poor "speakers".

Dendrons cannot verbally communicate nor create sounds via a voice or breath. They can never use spells that require a verbal component, and cannot play wind instruments. They are understood by all creatures that speak a language, and they understand the same.

Dendrons are enormously hard to hurt, and have Damage Reduction equal to 1/2 their character levels. This does not stack with other forms of Damage Reduction.

Due to their unique biology, Dendrons do not possess a Mind like a humanoid would, rendering them Immune to Mind-Effecting enchantments.

Dendrons require Sunlight, Water and Good Soil. They must drink water as a creature of their size must, but do so through their roots. They never need to eat solid food, and lack mouth with which to eat anyway. Dendrons may remain active for two days straight, but when they rest they must do so while sinking their roots into sustainable soil or they become Fatigued. Cities, deserts, tundra or snow-packed, dungeons and all other lands defiled by an Unhallow spell lack Sustainable Soil.

Dendrons also require direct Sunlight. They may adventure for up to 24 hours without sunlight, but every hour after this adds a cumulative -1 Penalty to their Constitution score. If they are reduced to zero or negative hitpoints due to this penalty, the Dendron dies. A Dendron who dies in this manner can be rejuvenated by having their Seed returned to the forest from which they hailed.

Once per Day per Character Level the Dendron may speak with plants. The plant will answer 3 questions, but only on subjects it has direct knowledge of ("Where did the bandit who rode past here go?" as opposed to "What is the capital of Assyria?").

Moon Elves

Moon Dwarves

Dragons
http://www.partiallyclips.com/erfworld/blowups/BLOWUP_dwagonandfeet_800.jpg

Dragons
"I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG! My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears! The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!"

One of the oldest races, Dragons are the embodiment of power itself. Yet for all their power, Dragons always seek more, in the way of gold and treasure, or in merit gained through grand adventure. When one is already the most powerful being around, one has the breathing room to diversify the type of "power" they have, and Dragons have a lot of breathing room.

Personality:
Dragons are a proud, boastful race, prone to exaggerating their might and downplaying their flaws (when they recognize they have flaws). This pride means that Dragons will often take more persuasion to abandon a losing battle than others, or give up on a task. Their pride can be somewhat reined in after traveling with other capable adventurers, and older Dragons will often speak very highly of their companions' skill, albeit in a "for-someone-who-isn't-a-Dragon" sort of way.

Physical:
Dragons. How do you not know what a- *ahem*. Dragons are large, winged reptiles. Their wings are huge, their tails are long, their claws and teeth are sharp. And their scales are as hard as armor. These scales are known to appear in a vast variety of colors and patterns. Some Dragons are striped, whereas a few are recognized for their polka dots. The personal mount of the Deepstone Empress has always been a cherry red with golden stars.

Relations:
Dragons have a natural alliance with Witches, and often trust their judgment (some Dragons even consider Witches to be their equal!). They are distrustful of Moon Elves and Dwarves due to their extraterrestrial origin. Humans are liked well-enough due to their persevering attitudes, while Gremlins are disliked due to the political situation between them. Dragons pity Scarecrows and Dendrons, often wondering hoe creatures so flammable can survive.

Alignment:
Dragons can be very selfish, especially when they are young, but other than that they have no specific methodology or ethics, excepting for when dealing with other Dragons or Witches, in which case they behave most honorably. For these reasons, Dragons are often True Neutral.

Lands:
Technically, Dragons consider all lands everywhere to be their domain, spiritually. In a practical sense, Deepstone Island is the seat of their power, a land of rolling hills and hard stone mountains. They possess an incredibly efficient cooling system, in order to handle their flame breath. Dragons can make a home anywhere, though they prefer slight elevation when possible.

Religion:
Dragons are adamant atheists. When it is pointed out that spirits, Gods and the Four are real, measurably material beings, a common Dragon response would be, "No need to encourage them". They readily admit that such things exist, though they hate seeing any being bow or scrap before such things, believing that is a sign of ultimate weakness.

Language:
While some Dragons speak Draconic, that tongue has fallen out of favor in recent centuries, being replaced by Gilese for everyday use. Draconic is still used in academia.

Names:
There are a surprisingly small number of Daconic surnames, such as Littlewing, Smokelance, Fangcry, Ironscale, etc, due to the clannish nature of extended Dragon families. Their given names are often short and descriptive, such as Scale, Smog, Flaim, etc. These names are guarded, and rarely given out, except to trusted friends and family. In their place, Dragons often adopt Deepstone names, such as Reginald, Oswalt, Charles, and Graham.

Adventurers:
Dragons seek out adventure for three reasons: the Challenge, the Glory, and the Loot. Some drop Glory, and simply add Loot a second time. While some Dragons develop other reasons to adventure, often involving a personal connection to their allies, all of them start the same way.

Racial Traits:
Dragon racial stats are found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7928088&postcount=1). Only changes include Change Sorcerer-casting/spell-list to Bard/Ranger/Paladin, based on preference. Super-special-awesome thanks to Oslecamo for his Red Dragon.

Witches

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-24, 03:47 AM
Reserved Post the Third: A Horse! My Kingdom for a Horse!

Kingdoms/Organizations of note

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-24, 03:50 AM
Final Reserved Post: I will forget something stupidly obvious and need this. Hindsight, eh?

House Rules!!!

No Primary Casters. Only Witches can have 9th level spell slots. And they're NPC only. It'll make sense, I pinky swear.
Optional: Armor as DR and Wounds/Vitality System. My favorite optional rules ever! But I won't personally run this world with them, since I'm going for silly, and realism doesn't mesh too well with that.

Will have more if I think of it.

And that's it. Post if...if the map compels you? More will be up soon. Hopefully once I've slept.

Keep in mind: This will be silly. :smalltongue:

Grinner
2013-05-24, 04:00 AM
Just one question: Is this in any way related to Final Fantasy?

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-24, 04:20 AM
Just one question: Is this in any way related to Final Fantasy?

Nope. It's more akin to Oz than anything else. Gil is just a name (and I never played FF, so it was a double mistake!).

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-27, 03:28 AM
Pardon the double post, but the first part is done! Getting to either History or Races next. Will be done with that shortly (like, in a day or two).

Critique is appreciated. Craved, if I had to be specific. Thanks for anyone stopping by!

Grinner
2013-05-27, 04:05 AM
It's about as generic as they come, but in greatest way possible. I love your writing style. :smallsmile:

zzuxon
2013-05-28, 10:56 AM
This setting looks funny. I have some name reccommendations:
Trees: Arborites
Bug-People: Nekk.

Mx.Silver
2013-05-28, 04:38 PM
Trees (need name)

I'm partial to Dendrons, myself

Bug-People (need name)

What sort of invertebrates are they going to modelled after?

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-28, 06:00 PM
This setting looks funny. I have some name reccommendations:
Trees: Arborites
Bug-People: Nekk.

I'm partial to Dendrons, myself

What sort of invertebrates are they going to modelled after?

While I like Nekk as a name, I'm not sure about keeping the bug-people. Will probably drop them soon.

Arborites is a little on the nose, as far as Trees go. Might I ask where Dendrons comes from?

Mx.Silver
2013-05-28, 06:55 PM
Might I ask where Dendrons comes from?

Dendro-, meaning of/relating to trees (see also: dendrochronology, dendrite). Greek root, I believe (the language responsible for most fantasy monster names). The Heroes of Might and Magic games used a similar name (dendroids) for their tree-people units*.
Possibly a bit on the nose too, but since you didn't catch it maybe not too much.

*before number 5, which renamed them Treants for no discernible reason.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-28, 07:00 PM
Dendro-, meaning of/relating to trees (see also: dendrochronology, dendrite). Greek root, I believe (the language responsible for most fantasy monster names). The Heroes of Might and Magic games used a similar name (dendroids) for their tree-people units*.
Possibly a bit on the nose too, but since you didn't catch it maybe not too much.

*before number 5, which renamed them Treants for no discernible reason.

Good point. I'm working on History, but races'll be next. I will certainly heed your suggestion.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-05-29, 07:42 PM
Woo! Dendrons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15295707&postcount=3) are up!

The history section is killing me slowly. Very hard to find an appropriate POV (cuz in-universe commentary is fun!). Will keep at it. Until then, Dendrons!

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-06-04, 11:50 PM
The History Section (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15295703&postcount=2) actually has some history now! This is just the rough guideline of history. I will add more substantial stuff later.

Working on Scarecrows.

PEACH if you haven't already! :smallbiggrin:

tbok1992
2013-06-05, 01:26 AM
Is this at all inspired by Frank Baum's Oz books? Because, it looks more like that to me than most other fantasy worlds.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-06-05, 02:26 AM
Is this at all inspired by Frank Baum's Oz books? Because, it looks more like that to me than most other fantasy worlds.

Basically. This is my break from "serious" fantasy. I love doing the ridiculous fantasy stuff, because I feel like my humor works with it (I dunno, does it?). What do you think of it so far?

tbok1992
2013-06-05, 02:33 AM
Well, given in my own setting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255799) I have stuff like rideable stegosaurus relatives known as Shank Ponies, an area inspired by the Aggro Crag from Guts with Goliaths living on it, Flumphs with Flash Godon-y ray-guns and biomechanical spaceship gods, and waaaaay too many musical puns, I'd say your setting is right up my alley.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-06-05, 02:38 AM
Well, given in my own setting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255799) I have stuff like rideable stegosaurus relatives known as Shank Ponies, an area inspired by the Aggro Crag from Guts with Goliaths living on it, Flumphs with Flash Godon-y ray-guns and biomechanical spaceship gods, and waaaaay too many musical puns, I'd say your setting is right up my alley.

Hooray for Madworlds!!! Hip hip!

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-06-09, 01:21 AM
Scarecrows (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15295707&postcount=3) are up!

I should get to Dragons and Witches soon, then swing around to do Humans and Gremlins. And maybe work on a few nations while I'm at it.

Thoughts so far? Fluff-wise? Crunch-wise?

Edit: Oh! That FINAL RESERVED post has something...totally trivial in it. :smalltongue:

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-06-19, 06:09 PM
Dwagons Dragons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15295707&postcount=3) are up and running! Flying! Whatever.

So, what do people think of the races thus far?