PDA

View Full Version : How common are HD checks?

TuggyNE
2013-05-24, 05:27 AM
I know of two places off-hand where (modified) HD checks are used, but I figure there might be a few others.

Ghost template's Rejuvenation ability
Intimidate skill (with added Wis modifier and save modifier against fear)
Curst template's fast healing at 0 (LEoF)
Casting in the Far Realms (MotP)

Honorable mention to Turn Undead, Bardic Knowledge, and Truenamer's skill check DCs.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-05-24, 09:02 AM
It seems rare.

But some spells, like Cloudkill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cloudkill.htm), are essentially HD checks. If you don't have 6+ HD, you are likely dead, and if less than 4 HD, you don't even get a Fortitude save.

But yes, it doesn't come up often (HD checks).

mattie_p
2013-05-24, 09:54 AM
Some google-fu:

Curst template (undead) from Lost Empires of Faerun make a DC 20 level check in order to begin fast healing after being reduced to 0 or fewer hp.

Possibly a level check on Manual of the Planes to cast in the far realm (DC 15 + spell level), but it might be a caster level check, away from book and the source I found did not have a direct quote.

TuggyNE
2013-05-24, 06:42 PM
It seems rare.

But some spells, like Cloudkill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cloudkill.htm), are essentially HD checks. If you don't have 6+ HD, you are likely dead, and if less than 4 HD, you don't even get a Fortitude save.

Those aren't exactly level checks, since there's no d20 roll and no DC; it's just a straight threshold for different effects, like sleep/deep slumber/daze/etc.

Some google-fu:

Curst template (undead) from Lost Empires of Faerun make a DC 20 level check in order to begin fast healing after being reduced to 0 or fewer hp.

Possibly a level check on Manual of the Planes to cast in the far realm (DC 15 + spell level), but it might be a caster level check, away from book and the source I found did not have a direct quote.

I'd guess the Far Realms is a CL check, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Curst is interesting, though, and a nice find.

mattie_p
2013-05-24, 07:06 PM
I'd guess the Far Realms is a CL check, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Actually, no. The rules say "level check." Page 212. Manual of the Planes is 3.0, so may require minor updates, but I'd keep that one the way it is, in my games.

nedz
2013-05-24, 08:13 PM
There are a number of relative and absolute thresholds.

Examples of relative thresholds:
Kiai Shout, ...
i.e. less HD than yourself

Examples of absolute thresholds:
Sleep, Cause Fear, ...
i.e. less than x HD

I'm sure there are more examples of these, but it's late and I'm quite tired.

mattie_p
2013-05-24, 08:19 PM
Turning undead is kinda weirdly like a level check. Both parts, actually. Roll 1d20 + CHA for your turn check, the result of which modifies your cleric level. Then roll 2d6 + level + CHA for turning damage.

But it is not a level check by the RAW.

EDIT: Bardic Knowledge / Lore? 1d20 + Level + Int modifier. Sounds like a level check to me, even if not specified. Never mind, it is a class level check, not a hit die/level check.

eggynack
2013-05-24, 08:34 PM
Fatespinner's capstone ability is one. You can give a being, with HD equal to or less than your HD, a -10 or +10 to saving throws as a free action, once a day. It's not a thing anyone cares about, cause it happens at the same time as the PrC's only lost caster level, but it's a thing that is there.

TuggyNE
2013-05-24, 10:35 PM
Actually, no. The rules say "level check." Page 212. Manual of the Planes is 3.0, so may require minor updates, but I'd keep that one the way it is, in my games.

Hmm, OK.

There are a number of relative and absolute thresholds.

Examples of relative thresholds:
Kiai Shout, ...
i.e. less HD than yourself

Examples of absolute thresholds:
Sleep, Cause Fear, ...
i.e. less than x HD

I'm sure there are more examples of these, but it's late and I'm quite tired.

Fatespinner's capstone ability is one. You can give a being, with HD equal to or less than your HD, a -10 or +10 to saving throws as a free action, once a day. It's not a thing anyone cares about, cause it happens at the same time as the PrC's only lost caster level, but it's a thing that is there.

That's fine, but those aren't HD checks at all, as previously mentioned; they're just HD thresholds. A check is when you roll a d20 plus a bonus against a DC or opposed roll; in this case, an HD check is, strictly speaking, d20 + HD + misc.

Turning undead is kinda weirdly like a level check. Both parts, actually. Roll 1d20 + CHA for your turn check, the result of which modifies your cleric level. Then roll 2d6 + level + CHA for turning damage.

But it is not a level check by the RAW.

EDIT: Bardic Knowledge / Lore? 1d20 + Level + Int modifier. Sounds like a level check to me, even if not specified. Never mind, it is a class level check, not a hit die/level check.

Class level check is close enough for an honorable mention. :smallwink:

Der_DWSage
2013-05-24, 10:49 PM
I find a little odd that Truenamers and their HD/CR scaling checks aren't being mentioned yet.

RandomLunatic
2013-05-24, 10:59 PM
The Ghost's Rejuvenation ability is a DC 16 Level/HD check to come back from being destroyed.

TuggyNE
2013-05-24, 11:32 PM
I find a little odd that Truenamers and their HD/CR scaling checks aren't being mentioned yet.

Hmm, aren't they based entirely on CR, or CR equivalent for PCs? Also, the CR component is only for the DC, not the check bonus. Might put it in as an honorable mention still.

The Ghost's Rejuvenation ability is a DC 16 Level/HD check to come back from being destroyed.

Yes. Yes it is. I ninja'd you on that by about 18 hours, however. :smallwink:

Der_DWSage
2013-05-24, 11:41 PM
Curse you, Tuggy one. You made me look into the madness that is the Truenamer.

Anyway, the quote, with bolded emphasis.

To speak a creature’s truename aloud, you must succeed
on a Truespeak check with a DC equal to 15 + (2 × the
creature’s Challenge Rating). If you’re saying the truename
of a PC, the DC is 15 + (2 × the PC’s Hit Dice). When you’re
speaking a creature’s personal truename, the DC increases
by 2 because those truenames are more linguistically
complex.

It's either or, but it's definitely a HD check.

TuggyNE
2013-05-25, 12:05 AM
Curse you, Tuggy one. You made me look into the madness that is the Truenamer.

Heh, sorry.

It's either or, but it's definitely a HD check.

Sure enough, the DC is HD-based, but it's not an HD check, because the bonus is not HD-based. (For clarity's sake: Intimidate is not an HD check itself, but introduces a special modified level check for its opposed check.)