PDA

View Full Version : Wild Talents

Vknight
2013-05-24, 12:54 PM
So I though this thread should be because we always can use more super love and One Roll engine love.

So what is Wild Talents?
Look it up here's one link to help (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/WildTalents)

So what actually is it?
Wild Talents is a supers game. On its second edition.
Using the One Roll Engine. Which uses d10's were you try to get pairs/sets. So rolling the same number on your die pool is better.

It allows for both very 4-Colour games and more 90's Iron age games.

How So?
Well because of how the game works
A character first has to create the source of there power.

Maybe its the paranormal magics, or the drive to be the best, or technology. Now then that is great how you get your stuff. But what does it give you?
Does your power only 1 thing really well? Maybe let you go beyond the normal human limits? Maybe your just super? Maybe its the equipment? Or its based around a theme?

Stats and things Wild Talents has a cool stat system. Normal humans max out at 5, and the super human max out at 10.
Whats the difference? Well first you need to know what the stats are

Body; physical strength, and endurance. Its throwing a punch blocking a blow, running and lifting things. Above 5 Body you can have punches which do equal damage to bullets

Coordination; Hand-eye, guns, dodging, driving. Above 5 coordination you can start catching bullets and moving so quickly your a blur

Sense; Your sight, smell, taste, and touch. Above 5 read in dark rooms without light or simply by touching and feeling the ink

Mind; Mind. Above 5 well lets prove that Reed Richards is not useless is the quick and easy

Charm; Its your ability to be polite, courteous and all those other things from a powerful charisma. Above 5 guess what your able to tell people to do things they would never think of doing

Command; Force of personality and a mental fortitude. Above 5 your able to through sheer force of will keep fighting despite pain and injury

So simple stats and each has their own skills which we don't need to get into.

Wild Talents uses a point buy system which makes it easier to track everything. You pay the cost of were you get your powers.
The cost of stats. The cost of skills. The cost of powers and it totals to the point total when added together.

So Why Make This Thread?
To talk about superheros?
The Wild Talents system?
Make characters and post them?

Can Superman and Batman keep up with each other?
-Yes

Can a magician and a street brawler be in the same part?
-Yes
Without one being overly powerful?
-Well I don't know why your worried about the brawler being too strong but yes the magician will keep up thanks to his ability to have various thing.
Was that a Joke?
-No, 48 points, the Street brawler can throw punches with damage equaling pistols. Also those were points only put towards the Brawlers Body stat, not the skill to throw punches. The mage has a similar attack but the brawlers punch sends people flying through buildings

So Bigger Sets Make you Act Faster so no Speedsters?
-No
How do I build one?
-Any of the following
-Apply bonuses to your body to greatly increase sprint distance.
-A power designed for just this purpose
-Multiple Actions power from the book to do several things at once
-Yes there are other ways

What is the Average Starting Point Total?
Why?
-Swat officers and other people with there training fall into the 125-150 point range. Now your thinking 100-125 points is not enough?
-Well here's Clyde he can shrug off burst fire from a automatic. And regenerates when he's hurt. For 100 points. Also he can survive in space, at the bottom of the ocean, or in lava.

Is there Anything Broken?
-Yes read the book. One sample power is turning the sun off. For a 250 point character

So Are There Tiers?
-Well 200-300 Is called about what Marvel characters
-Well the 400-600 area is where DC characters lie. Even Superman
-150 Best of the human best
-200 better then the rest
-Beginning super 250-300, and so on and so forth
Can you Build the Doctor?
-Yes
Is He Expensive?
-Yes
How Much?
-The Tardis is 800 points
-The Sonic Screwdriver is about 100
-The Psychic Paper is 200
-That is before calculating the actual Doctor, just some equipment

Can I Do Power Rangers?
-Yes. Or Kamen Rider. Or Magical Girls

Is there Anything Very Broken?
-Yes. But that is subjective as the group and Gm should make characters together and its easy to figure out what you want from a game.
-That being said Transformation powers[to a powered state] save you a lot of points.
-Foci also save you a few points
-They can be combined together[Morphers etc.]

So what can't you build with this game?
-Umm
-Ummmmm
-Ummmmmmmmm
-I built Sora from Kingdom Hearts, Superman, the Doctor, Spiderman, Daredevil, Liara[Mass Effect], Roland[Borderlands], A shapeshifting ooze alien, Gordon Freeman, The TF2 cast. So nothing you just need some ingenuity, creativity, and acceptance something can be done more then one way

The Rose Dragon
2013-05-24, 01:14 PM
Question: why Wild Talents, specifically, over any other effects-based point-buy system, like GURPS or Mutants & Masterminds?

Re'ozul
2013-05-24, 06:25 PM
Probably because it mechanically handles differently.

Vknight
2013-05-24, 08:54 PM
Question: why Wild Talents, specifically, over any other effects-based point-buy system, like GURPS or Mutants & Masterminds?

Answer
-d20 can get clunky at times. Mutants and Masterminds can be used to get a lot of different powers. But Wild Talents handles creating powers and editing powers better. It also lets you create new extras beyond the ones in the book

-The Gm can say no to a build or power. Its in the rules. Its not a Gm being opinionated against a thing or not wanting it. Its a actual rule so the players can keep balance between themselves. So a Mage, Fighter does not spring up.

-If/Then. The greatest flaw ever. If I'm in Sunlight, then I cannot use Hyper Senses for sight. The system built in a flaw to cover things, anything.
If/Then, its a flaw to make a power have a If/Then statement to represent a weakness such as Superman to magic

-Wild Talents and other One Roll Engine games, everyone says what there doing, then we roll and find who goes first. So its declare, roll, resolve.
Not Declare, roll, check, repeat.

-ORE is simple roll die pool if you rolled pair you succeed. Better height better you do, better width faster you do it. Also it says to let the players go with the Rping and only make a roll when they need a roll. So a good bluff like I work here and wearing a uniform can work without having good Charm+Lie

-GURPS has a auto failure, and d20 has auto success. ORE you get pair you succeed, maybe you don't do your best of someone punches you first making your punch go wide but pair is success, and possible[though highly unlikely] to get pair with even 2 dice

-GURPS need many book to do various settings or sources. Not sure on Mutants & Masterminds. But Wild Talents, want all secret aliens & government conspiracies? Limit to Alien, Technology for sources. Want Anime, magic, driven, and genetic. Meaning it handles limiting well without feeling as though it limits one's choices

-Campaigns, many good settings in books all talking about how Super powers can effect world for various types of setting from Civil War too Modern Day, and how it could change the world

-Flavor, Wild Talents has as sample characters Hippy War-Bot. Doctor who changes into T-Rex. And Stalins Power Armor.

-The 4-Colour System. Wild Talents has special system for figuring out if you want to join a game and or build a setting with friends. The 4-colours
Blue, Red, Gold, Black. Each represents how comic book it can get.
Blue(Is all the aliens, super-tech, magic, and lots of it. DC & Marvel are Blue 5)
Red(Is how much the hero's effected the past/history or if they merely canceled one another out. Red 2 means any talents with major power levels 450 or so I'd say but could be up too you, can be Martin Luther Kings, Gandhi. They can't stop a war in progress but they can prevent it with a head start. Red 5 they don't change anything)
Gold(Is how much do certain people fit a profile. The X-men are 4 Gold)
Black(Is morals. 1 Black is post apocalyptic morals. 2 Black is the real world. 5 Black, the good choice is the right choice there is no grey area or its too thin to notice)
The 4-colour system is amazing because with it and the right workings you can set up any type of setting. From a world that was Blue 1 and the Gm along with the players agree this event horizon makes it go Blue 3 or so

My personal game on sundays is
Blue 4-5
Red 3-4
Black 2
Gold 3 depending on the hero with some leanings to 2 or 4 depending on the character and there powers

Vknight
2013-05-26, 01:36 PM
Proof of concept

Give me a Marvel character

His/Her powers
There limitations
There Strengths
Any particular feats they have done with them and I'll make the character in Wild Talents.
In under 1 Hour(After seeing the post cause I cannot watch this thread like a Hawk)

No one no one at all?
Really no one?

X= Number of dice
Xd is normal dice. Xhd is hard dice. Xwd is wiggle dice.

Spiderman

Archetype(Spiderman), Source(Genetic), Meta-Quality(Spider Powers, Inhuman Mind), Intrinsic()
Cost: 8 points

Stats
Body(2d + 4d) 26 points. The 2d is natural, the 4d is stuff from the spider strength. Spidey can lift 1,600 pounds

Coordinatino(2d + 4d) 26 points. Spidey can attempt to dodge gunshots

Sense(3d + 3d) 27 points. Peter is naturally got a good set of eyes for the most part. And the Spider stuff boosted it.

Mind(5d+1wd) 45 points. Peter is naturally incredibly smart and has a natural intelligence greater then the human max

Charm(1d + 1d) 9 points. Peter is a wallflower, but the spiderman costume/personality he is much more outgoing.

Command(2d + 1d) 14 points. As similarly noted with the Charm but peter is naturally average

147 points Total

Skills
Athletics(0d + 2d) 2 points. Peter was not naturally a athlete
Brawling(1d + 2d+1wd) 8 points. Peter knew how to throw a punch he wasn't good at it mind you. Afterwards he's got some major skill

Dodge(0d + 2d+1wd) 6 points. Peter couldn't dodge the punches thrown back at him
Driving[Bike](1d) 2 points.
Stealth(1d + 2d) 4 points. As a nerd peter learned to hid and avoid things

Empathy(1d + 1d+1wd) 7 points. Peter could judge others but it was greatly enhanced by his spider senses
Perception(2d + 1wd) 8 points.
Scrutiny(1d) 2 points.

Physics(3d) 12 points.
Chemistry(3d) 12 points.

Persuasion(1d) 2 points.

Stability(1d + 1d) 3 points.
68 points total

Spider Powers[Not attached to his Physical skills and stats]

Spider Sense(2hd)
Useful(Danger Sense), Always On -1, Full Power Only -1, Interference +3, Limited Width -1, Locational -1 Permanent +4, Self Only -3
Defends, Interference +3, Limited Width -1, Locational -1, Permanent +4
36 points

Webbing(6d+1wd)
Useful(Webs), Depleted -1, If/Then(Only Variable Effect) -1, If/Then(Only For Webbing Uses) -1, Power Capacity[Mass] +2, Spray +1, Variable Effect +4
60 points

Spider Resilience(2hd)
Defends, Armored Defense -2, Endless +3
Useful(Extra Tough), Engulf +2, Permanent +4, Self Only -3
32 points

Wall Crawling(5d)
Useful(Wall Crawling), Endless +3, If/Then(3 or more limbs are filled with shock, they he cannot wall crawl) -1, If/Then(Use movement rate for body) -1
15 points

143 points total

Archetype[8]
+
Stats[147]
+
Skills[68]
+
Power[143]

There Peter Parker Spider man is a. 366 Point character.

His punches hurt. He can sprint at 25yards.
Catch bullets. He has some natural ability to take a blow from a tough body. He is exceptionally smart.
His Danger Sense is always on and it incredibly useful
The webbing has a long range and can be used for several purposes[If you want too do all those webbing weapon things that sometimes show up, apply the Augment extra. This increase the cost to make spidey by 40 points. The Augment extra costs a lot.
Why does the Wall Crawling count as a flaw for using your body instead? Because Peter could without that flaw, wall crawl faster then he would sprint.

Certain things could be argued about Peter
Such as does he need a wiggle die in mind which costs 20 points? Does he have 6 total mind?
Should he have 2 natural sense. and 4 hyper sense from the spider powers because of glasses.
Is the Command and Charm attached to his suit representing when his face is hidden?
Also the Webbing I went with the natural webbing if it is not natural webbing and more classical that saves Peter 10 points
His Spider Sense does not need the defends quality but it does help represent his ability to dodge attacks coming. It could also be lowered to only be people he senses/see's or what have you.
Finally its up to debate if Peter should have 5 or 6 in his Body & Coordination. Though he is shown as being strong & fast, I don't know if he's dodge bullets without the aid of his Spider Sense and if he's ever shown the ability to break bones with a punch.
Finally the various one-off gadgets and the spider tracers, auto-camera etc. aren't really powers so its more a story element so don't need to worry about points.

There so on the high end when he was at his best Peter Parker the Amazing Spiderman is a 366 point character.

Applying the Foci to the webbing. Dropping the wiggle dice from mind. Saying his Body is a 5. Saying his natural sense is 2.
The suit provide confidence and thus boosts his Charm & Command also lowers the cost cause the suit can be damaged
We remove his defends on the Danger Sense.

We now have a Spiderman at 294. Who fits in line with earlier spiderman
294 points

Keeping in mind most games start around 250.
Now of course there are many tricks and things that I did not apply to this creation which could have lowered spidey's cost without making a huge dent in how his powers work.

Salbazier
2013-06-01, 04:00 PM
What about magical girl? Puella Magi Madoka Magica :smalltongue: Because that's what I'm going to use this system for (assuming the game manage to kick-off).

Re'ozul
2013-06-01, 04:22 PM
Magical girls (and masculine versions such as He-Man), are notoriously easy (read cheap) to pull off in this game.

Step one: Make a useful power that transforms you into magical girl.
Step two: create a crapton of powers that are all dependant on said transform power. Said dependancy is (iirc) a -2 cost modifier on everything meaning everything just became much cheaper. The actual powers though need to be defined first.

Mami would simply have a ranged attack power that utilizes lots of guns, pulled out of thin air. I am currently playing a character who does much the same, only with swords.

Sayaka has regeneration.

Both are incredibly easy to pull off, especially once you put their egg-focusses into the equation for even more cost reduction.

Since my only exposure to the series so far have been sfdebris reviews I don't know how many different minor powers each of the characters ight have, but with a standard 250 point budget, you can probably make them incredibly powerful with the afforementioned cost tricks.

Vknight
2013-06-03, 02:26 PM
Magic Transformation Go!
Useful(Transform into Cute Costume), Endless +3, Self Only -3
Useful(People Somehow Don't Recognize you), Always On -1, Attached -2, Permanent +4
Useful(Damage Does No Transfer), Attached -2, Permanent +4, Self Only -3
Useful(Extra Tough), Always On -1 Attached -2, Engulf +2, Permanent +4, Self Only -3
Defends, Armored Defense -2, Attached -2, Permanent +4(You can apply interference to make it hard armor to ignore attack. Or Medium Armor to take less damage from attacks)
Cost Per Die
Normal[11], Hard[22], Wiggle[44]
-If damage transfers between forms be careful because that means when the Extra Tough goes away it could kill the girl if she has enough damage.
-Also maybe a slow regeneration

Any Hyperstats would have the attached flaw. If the girl is super strong, fast etc depending on what they are like in there powers.

For a Magical Girl Themed Around Water

Attacks, Attached -2, Spray +1
Useful(Water Control), Attached -2, Mass +2, Spray +1
Useful(Swim Superfast), Attached -2, Spray +1
Useful(Generate Water), Attached -2, Range +2, Spray +1
Defends, Attached -2, Spray +1
Cost Per Die
Normal[9], Hard[18], Wiggle[36]

Keep in mind this is a basic set up the girl may not have the ability to generate water. And maybe she can do other things with water she controls ala Variable Effect +4
Also if she needs water but cannot generate it that's a -1 flaw too her attack quality. So you could give it a rank of Go First or a Attack Level
Also keep in mind this Water attack does Shock & Killing damage at the moment

If the thing is powered by a Watch, or other thing apply the Focus flaw along with other things.

Edit: Spray lets her swim, control water, and attack all in the same round as long as she can get the sets. Spray lets you split actions without dropping a die.

Most Magical Foci
Cannot be changed. Immutable -1
Cannot be replaced. Irreplaceable -2
Many are rods/wands etc. Accessible -1
Some are fragile. Delicate -1
Which gives even more points back

Wrote up the original post in 5 minutes

hoverfrog
2013-06-11, 05:54 AM
I picked up the Wild Talents first edition years ago and played with a friend for a short while. I really enjoyed it as the system is very easy and world building is fantastically well presented. The magic\cosmic power ability just didn't work in play though as the poor wizard quickly runs out of Will really quickly. I tried to convince the player to spend points on a few always on items like a flying carpet or a cloak of levitation but he insisted on being a straight out wizard. Has this changed in second edition?

Vknight
2013-06-12, 01:19 AM
Yes.

Useful(Magic), If/Then(Only Variable Effect) -1, If/Then(Only Spells) -1, Variable Effect +4

It lets you mimic a power and its effects. By shifting the die pool.
If you try and use your variable to temporarily add extras, or use a Useful power too attack or defend you must pay willpower.

So, 'The Magician' has Useful(Magic), 6d+2wd. And uses the Variable Effect too get Useful(Spy on Foe), he puts 3d+1wd into it. So it costs no willpower. But it only has a range of 80yards. 1 Booster makes it 800yards for 7 willpower.
Too get around that the Magician makes the power Locational(Head). So it costs him no Willpower.

Basically as long as your not adding on extras, there is no Willpower Cost. And too get around any Willpower Cost that may show up for making a thing with a lot of extras is simply applying flaws etc.

A good example of a really useful and powerful Variable Effect power is the following.

Natural Weapons
Hyper-Brawl, If/Then(Only Variable Effect) -1, If/Then(Only Natural Weapons Based Off Absorbed DNA) -1, Spray +1, Variable Effect +4

Then we have fun. Flaws are king especially the small ones. Locational on a bite. Touch Only on a attack that won't send the foe flying. All these things let you do so much.
"Some Example Natural Weapons" All of which cost 0willpower

Bite: Attack Level +2, Locational[Head] -1, Penetration +1, Touch Only -2
Claws: Attack Level +1, Locational[Right or Left Arm] -1
Hammer Fist: Booster +1, Locational[Right or Left Arm] -1
Spines: Penetration +1, Spray +1, Touch Only -2
Arm Blade: Attack Level +1, Go First +1, Locational[Right or Left Arm] -1, Penetration +1, Touch Only -2
Heavy Punch: Attack Level +3, Locational[Right or Left Arm] -1, Touch Only -2

Variable Effect can still eat into Willpower. Course I play with a rule that if the quality exists it can be changed/transferred over.
Which makes sense for my groups. And for many things.
Why can't a punch that is already really strong and fast, have its speed lowered to increase damage.

My point being if the Natural Weapons, power/skill was on a character and the base version had an attack level, and a rank of go first, along with the variable effect. I'd let the player use the Variable to make a punch with 2 Attack Levels without making them pay Willpower because they are sacrificing the punches normal speed to give it an increased damage.

hoverfrog
2013-06-12, 06:29 AM
Excellent news. I'll see about picking up a copy of 2nd Edition (unless there's a 3rd edition in the pipeline?) and getting my old group of RL players together again to give it another try. It's been a few years though so I'd definitely have to brush up on the rules again.

Vknight
2013-06-12, 09:05 PM
Not as far as I know.

I suggest playing my homebrew rule.

It makes it very easy for say a guy in power-armor too have various, rockets, cannons etc. Without having to pay large amounts of willpower too get all of it.

Also

Defends, Duration +2, Interference +3.
The rules can read this two different ways.

A)It either gives you 2 Gobble Dice per attack against you.
or
B)It gives you 2 Gobble Dice for each round of the Duration.

This is important because A is super powerful. Were as B is still really good it does not break the game like A does.

Also Hardened Armor. Can be broken with the right stuff

archivis
2013-07-25, 03:26 PM
Not as far as I know.

I suggest playing my homebrew rule.

It makes it very easy for say a guy in power-armor too have various, rockets, cannons etc. Without having to pay large amounts of willpower too get all of it.

Also

Defends, Duration +2, Interference +3.
The rules can read this two different ways.

A)It either gives you 2 Gobble Dice per attack against you.
or
B)It gives you 2 Gobble Dice for each round of the Duration.

This is important because A is super powerful. Were as B is still really good it does not break the game like A does.

Also Hardened Armor. Can be broken with the right stuff

In the writeup for the Interference extra under the section "Long Term Interference" it clearly says it's A: with a duration it applies the interference separately to all attacks or actions made against you, as it represents an automatic defense such as a jinx, armor, or force field, etc.

Vknight
2013-07-28, 07:45 PM
Do I have to explain why A is broken?

I'm sorry but the guy who can break down walls can't hurt you because of your barrier and he can't pound on it repeatedly well his thugs shoot to destroy it.
Give someone a 3 Hard Die defense power by the rules as written makes them impossible to hurt at 250points

A individual has to get one of the following sets
4 sets of 2
2 sets of 2, and 1 set of 3
2 sets of 3
1 set of 4, and 1 set of 2
1 set of 5(or better)....

See the problem?
The not as far as I know was referring too the 3rd Edition.

Now it does lean on A, but for the ability for the players/Gm to actually have a fight and not have a group of stone walls soaking attacks you fix the rules

Though the rules lean one way that way is idiotic by the standards of the rules unless you are at high point values in which case you can make the defense even more effective

archivis
2013-07-28, 08:00 PM
Do I have to explain why A is broken?

I'm sorry but the guy who can break down walls can't hurt you because of your barrier and he can't pound on it repeatedly well his thugs shoot to destroy it.
Give someone a 3 Hard Die defense power by the rules as written makes them impossible to hurt at 250points

A individual has to get one of the following sets
4 sets of 2
2 sets of 2, and 1 set of 3
2 sets of 3
1 set of 4, and 1 set of 2
1 set of 5(or better)....

See the problem?
The not as far as I know was referring too the 3rd Edition.

Now it does lean on A, but for the ability for the players/Gm to actually have a fight and not have a group of stone walls soaking attacks you fix the rules

Though the rules lean one way that way is idiotic by the standards of the rules unless you are at high point values in which case you can make the defense even more effective

I wasn't defending the rules, simply stating their content on the point. The book is pretty clear on what to do when you can't beat down someones armor/force field/your hyperbole 3 hard die defense power with brute force. Use power nullifers, mind control them, turn them into a duck, drown them, poison them, teleport them into a black hole, or go after their willpower and screw them that way before your rematch.

Or you know buy a death ray at 5 hard dice and blow up the guys head.

Vknight
2013-08-11, 05:45 AM
Said Death Ray without
Attack Levels
or
Non-Physical
Will still only knock them out.

I'm just saying as written.

I can make a 250 Point Character, who can fight characters generally built for 500+ point games and with that ruling said characters
4 Hard Dice of Insubstantial
2 Super/Matrix Refelxes
3 Hardened Medium Armor
and 3 Hardened Light Armor
cannot be hurt.
As one needs to go around these things.

And you don't know other peoples Passions & Loyalties
It is pretty hard to hurt Willpower without decent investment.

archivis
2013-08-11, 11:14 AM
Said Death Ray without
Attack Levels
or
Non-Physical
Will still only knock them out.

I'm just saying as written.

I can make a 250 Point Character, who can fight characters generally built for 500+ point games and with that ruling said characters
4 Hard Dice of Insubstantial
2 Super/Matrix Refelxes
3 Hardened Medium Armor
and 3 Hardened Light Armor
cannot be hurt.
As one needs to go around these things.

And you don't know other peoples Passions & Loyalties
It is pretty hard to hurt Willpower without decent investment.

Yeah and if the person you're fighting is unconscious for a while, they're helpless, fight over, you don't have to kill them. And there's more to the system than just combat attack/defense powers. Use mind reading to figure out their passions and loyalties, or just use clairvoyance to see who/what/where they spend much of their time - that's probably a good start.

If you want fights to be "balanced" to a certain level of tactical outcome talk with your group and set offensive/defensive caps.