PDA

View Full Version : Making a long siege adventure interesting (my players out)

Sir_Chivalry
2013-05-24, 12:57 PM
My players, seriously, read if you want, but you're only ruining it for yourself!

Either way, Playground! Question time!

Okay, so for the next little while in my RL game, I'm running a siege of a heavily fortified island. First, the sides and their assets:

Holy Isle of Amaleia
-The world's most fortified region, an island off the coast with a single mile long bridge (20 ft wide) accessing it on foot.
-Paladins
-Clerics (at least eight 12th level high bishops)
-Assorted fighters, rangers, rogues, wizards, monks and the like connected to the religious orders
-Jewel golems (from a 3rd party book, mainly used for brawn)

The Cabal
-Four generals (a shadar-kai blackguard, a were-polar bear, a rakshasa and a half-fey assassin, most likely not getting in on the fight (except the werebear and the assassin at the end))
-a pact with dragons to provide aerial support
-were-orca scrags and merrows led by the werebear
-lizardfolk, kobolds and troglodytes on loan from the dragon forces
-A powerful fallen angel inside the Holy Isle's vault who wants out

So, how can I make this siege interesting without just knocking the Holy Isle over? What defenses should the Isle employ? What strategies should the Cabal counter with? What sort of hooks can I use for my party to allow them to make a difference in the fight defending the isle?

Party (10th level)
-Half elf ranger/warblade/revenant blade
-Ogre barbarian/FB
-Half-rakshasa (homebrew template) grey elf wizard
-Elf rogue/dungeon delver
-Half-elf samurai/swordsage/iaijutsu master
-Warforged crusader/fighter
-Catfolk knight
-Magic-blooded Half-Orc bard/marshal/dragonslayer

Please ask questions, this is only a quick synopsis.

Keld Denar
2013-05-24, 01:04 PM
Well, there's always the giant moonlazer* approach. The cabal is constructing some sort of device or ritual that will sink the island to the bottom of the ocean, but they don't have all of the pieces yet. They need time, resources, and a handful of MacGuffins to become "fully operational". PCs can race cabal members to acquire MacGuffins, steal MacGuffins the cabal already possesses, ambush and/or dissuade allies of the cabal to make them unsupportive and/or sabotage raw material supply lines for moonlazer* construction. Likewise, the cabal could counter raid MacGuffin storage locations, retaliate for raids on supply lines with civilian casualties, assassinate key information sources before they can fully disclose information, etc.

*May or may not contain actual moons or actual lazers.

Sir_Chivalry
2013-05-24, 01:19 PM
Well, there's always the giant moonlazer* approach. The cabal is constructing some sort of device or ritual that will sink the island to the bottom of the ocean, but they don't have all of the pieces yet. They need time, resources, and a handful of MacGuffins to become "fully operational". PCs can race cabal members to acquire MacGuffins, steal MacGuffins the cabal already possesses, ambush and/or dissuade allies of the cabal to make them unsupportive and/or sabotage raw material supply lines for moonlazer* construction. Likewise, the cabal could counter raid MacGuffin storage locations, retaliate for raids on supply lines with civilian casualties, assassinate key information sources before they can fully disclose information, etc.

*May or may not contain actual moons or actual lazers.

Already have a macguffin quest going in the main plot. That being said, the cabal could easily place a ticking clock in the form of more dragons on the way

00dlez
2013-05-24, 01:27 PM
Start by looking at Heros of Battle - it has a lot of neat tips and ideas for keeping PCs relevant and interested in a battle/siege much greater than themselves.

To summarize whats there, it basically suggests that the PCs undertake a series of quests to give their side the advantage, or prevent the other side from gaining the advantage. They could destroy/disable enemy siege weapons, meddle with the defenders water supply, cut off outside food supplies and support, etc etc

kreenlover
2013-05-24, 05:13 PM
I would say, start with an all out assault by the cabal. The PCs must hold the line against the enemy in wave after wave of low level meat shields, interspersed with higher level actual threats.
They may be caught in this attack by accident, or actually sounding the alarum bell and so on and so forth.
Next, have them play the part as negotiators, or some such when the cabal sends out a negotiation party when the PCs manage to repel the attack.
After that, have the Cabal settle in for a long siege, as the bridge is just too well protected. When the PCs have night duty guarding the bridge, have some stealthy assassin/rogue types try and take the bridge by stealth and force.
Next, have the fight just be too much, and have them have to retreat.
In truly spectacular fashion, blow the bridge, leaving everyone stranded on the island, but the enemy far away.
Then, give them some, you can do this or this quests, and if they do or don't, different ills befall the city. Maybe they choose to defend the harbour against the were orcas (which seems kinda silly, but who I to judge?) but in that time the Kobolds managed to dig a tunnel into the main square, and capture civilians. The PCs then must decide whether to try and save these civilian hostages, or stop the (elite) kobold force that is heading to free the angel (maybe the kobolds led by a few higher level half dragon captains, or priests)
Tie the majority of the Isles defenses in other tasks so that the 8 12 level priests can't deus ex machina any situation they find themselves in.
Maybe, have them being in council, electing a Pope or some such (one of them gets a great template that makes them far better a defending, such is the blessing of the gods or some such) and while they are there the island is weak. The PCs have to defend the island, then rush to stop the assassins before they reach the newly ascendant Pope.
Have someone be a traitor, and be helping enemies get into the city, or destroying key defenses or some such; the PCs must find and destroy/bring to justice said traitor.
Then, at the end, the dragons arrive. Seeing that they will be shot down by the large ballistas that have been newly constructed if they fly towards the island, they instead join together, and use their draconic lore to create a large magical bridge so that the entire Cabal army may attack at once. The PCs must either try and disrupt this ritual, or hold the city, or destroy the leaders. However, if too many ballistas are destroyed by the attacking army, then the dragons can take flight, and lay waste to the city from the skies

Hope that these ideas are ok.
I kinda went all out. Also of course, engage the PCs backgrounds at least once each. Maybe the rakshasha who leads the cabal is the half rakshashas (secret) father. when he finds out that his favourite most watched child is leading the defense of the city he flies into a rage, and teleports into the elf's room in the night to confront him with his heritage. He gives hima chance to join the cabal, or die. If he chooses die, he leaves him (the entire time protected by an anti-magic field or some such so that he cannot be killed)

limejuicepowder
2013-05-24, 06:31 PM
This might be a bit harder to do since your PC's are higher level, but I ran a huge battle that my players very much enjoyed. It actually kind of switched the traditional numbers by giving the PC's control of a good chunk of lower level soldiers and they had to figure out how to take down a few powerful enemies - giants, in this case.

The PC's in my game were 6th level at the time, and there was about 100 soldiers (level 1 warriors) under their command. The main enemy force was 6 hill giants, each wearing heavier armor and new feats (knockback in particular was awesome, creating the iconic scene of giants wading through soldiers, each swing sending men flying). There was also some dretch ground forces.

The PC's were low enough level that the giants could kill them in just a few hits; thus, they couldn't be engaged directly. Instead, smart tactics and coordinated moves were required.

drack
2013-05-24, 07:00 PM
Well I run an epic nations game, so I'm probably going to be thinking of this a bit differently, but:

What type o ortifications?
Underground shelters?
What sort of terrain is it island excluded?
Is the water around the island holy? :smalltongue:
Water/food well stocked before we get into that they have clerics?
What power of play are we talking about? <- has a huge impact
How is the angel secured?
Clerics are good or evil?

In the mean time may as well put a few outposts along the bridge to break it into lots of little sieges if they're silly enough to use the front door.
you can also make a ful party from paladins with a combat/healing focus which would probably be pretty tough at the end of the bridge.

Sir_Chivalry
2013-05-24, 09:05 PM
I would say, start with an all out assault by the cabal. The PCs must hold the line against the enemy in wave after wave of low level meat shields, interspersed with higher level actual threats.
They may be caught in this attack by accident, or actually sounding the alarum bell and so on and so forth.
Next, have them play the part as negotiators, or some such when the cabal sends out a negotiation party when the PCs manage to repel the attack.
After that, have the Cabal settle in for a long siege, as the bridge is just too well protected. When the PCs have night duty guarding the bridge, have some stealthy assassin/rogue types try and take the bridge by stealth and force.
Next, have the fight just be too much, and have them have to retreat.
In truly spectacular fashion, blow the bridge, leaving everyone stranded on the island, but the enemy far away.
Then, give them some, you can do this or this quests, and if they do or don't, different ills befall the city. Maybe they choose to defend the harbour against the were orcas (which seems kinda silly, but who I to judge?) but in that time the Kobolds managed to dig a tunnel into the main square, and capture civilians. The PCs then must decide whether to try and save these civilian hostages, or stop the (elite) kobold force that is heading to free the angel (maybe the kobolds led by a few higher level half dragon captains, or priests)
Tie the majority of the Isles defenses in other tasks so that the 8 12 level priests can't deus ex machina any situation they find themselves in.
Maybe, have them being in council, electing a Pope or some such (one of them gets a great template that makes them far better a defending, such is the blessing of the gods or some such) and while they are there the island is weak. The PCs have to defend the island, then rush to stop the assassins before they reach the newly ascendant Pope.
Have someone be a traitor, and be helping enemies get into the city, or destroying key defenses or some such; the PCs must find and destroy/bring to justice said traitor.
Then, at the end, the dragons arrive. Seeing that they will be shot down by the large ballistas that have been newly constructed if they fly towards the island, they instead join together, and use their draconic lore to create a large magical bridge so that the entire Cabal army may attack at once. The PCs must either try and disrupt this ritual, or hold the city, or destroy the leaders. However, if too many ballistas are destroyed by the attacking army, then the dragons can take flight, and lay waste to the city from the skies

Hope that these ideas are ok.
I kinda went all out. Also of course, engage the PCs backgrounds at least once each. Maybe the rakshasha who leads the cabal is the half rakshashas (secret) father. when he finds out that his favourite most watched child is leading the defense of the city he flies into a rage, and teleports into the elf's room in the night to confront him with his heritage. He gives hima chance to join the cabal, or die. If he chooses die, he leaves him (the entire time protected by an anti-magic field or some such so that he cannot be killed)

All of that sounds very good. I've already dropped the bomb that the rakshasa is the wizard's father, which is what led to the template gaining as she realized her true power.

I'm planning on several factions in their midst that are working for their own goals, and some bought out by the cabal.

Well I run an epic nations game, so I'm probably going to be thinking of this a bit differently, but:

What type o ortifications?
Underground shelters?
What sort of terrain is it island excluded?
Is the water around the island holy? :smalltongue:
Water/food well stocked before we get into that they have clerics?
What power of play are we talking about? <- has a huge impact
How is the angel secured?
Clerics are good or evil?

In the mean time may as well put a few outposts along the bridge to break it into lots of little sieges if they're silly enough to use the front door.
you can also make a ful party from paladins with a combat/healing focus which would probably be pretty tough at the end of the bridge.

Fortifications: stone, masonry and earthwork for the outer walls, 30 feet thick. Interior walls of the island (one massive keep really) are 10-15 feet thick, with the 15 ft ones having earthwork cores as well. Bridgegate is a darkwood and mithral affair, locked by several bars that lock into mechanisms in the bottom of the gate when closed. Harbourgate is a more traditional portcullis, but has a series of five you must pass through. Trebuchets placed both at the harbour and bridge are used if approach is made from those areas, ballistas are placed elsewhere to dissuade flyers.

Underground shelter: the entire island is simply the tip of a mountain on a massive sunken country, so there's little limit for the first little while to how far the priests could have excavated to create underground chambers, save labour (move earth deals with that somewhat)

Terrain: the island is mainly a massive fortress on one side of a high mountainous peak. The rest of the island is cultivated orchard and farmland. The nearby coastline is hills moving up into mountains.

Holy Water: Not normally, but it can be made so as long as the eight bishops are using turn attempts to power it, so not for long, as that'd burn out fast.

Food/Water: Not as much as usual. The clerics can't feed everyone with magic, the stores are well stocked though and the farmlands and fishing provide enough, but a siege would devastate them.

Power of Play? If you mean like realistic versus everyone throwing magic around, the isle is one of the most magic concentrated areas on the world.

Angel: Max HD Shiradi Eladrin to be exact. He's chained by his hands and blinded, hanging from the ceiling. He's been there for 700 years. Several enchantments are on the chains to prevent teleportation, gating, or him simply changing to his cloud of light shards form.

Clerics: Good, lawful for the most part too

drack
2013-05-24, 09:20 PM
Lets see then. Assuming players are attacking:

I would probably go with:
A few forts along the bridge, after the last I'd probably blow the bridge, and have a wave of attackers charging through the water as it gets turned holy making for a nice flash and fanfare to make the players respect their enemy's strength, and to show the heavy losses that the attackers are suffering. Probably have some golems/misc soldiers that can attack as the players make their way to land. I would probably set a minefield around a defensible structure made of various permanent wards (assuming they saw this attack coming), both to not make the defenders look stupid, and to have a reason why a big army can't just stomp over and crush it. I'd probably have the fortress not have an open roof due to the dragon bit. After that you've got something more then a stack of cards, and you can either go the epic battle rout, or make there be hundreds of entrances to the massive undergound complex, most of which end in dead ends with different groups sent to each, and the players getting a nice dungeon crawl//infiltration where they try not to raise any big alarms.

Sorry for block of text :smalltongue:

After that you have fun fallout stuff like the Shiradi Eladrin being there having been the lock on something bigger's cage, or the like. :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2013-05-24, 09:22 PM
They're on the holy side, right?

Have them go on special ops missions. They need to sneak across the water to the other side and assassinate key players, sabotage things, poison water supplies, make the dragons think the cabal has violated their end of the deal, etc.

drack
2013-05-24, 09:35 PM
Dunno :smalltongue:

I guessed by "So, how can I make this siege interesting without just knocking the Holy Isle over?" that the island was falling. Still all that I gave works in reverse. It's just a basic set of fortifications without getting too fancy that won't make the church look too incompetent when they fall. :smalltongue: