PDA

View Full Version : What keeps happening?

Chalkarts
2013-05-24, 02:42 PM
In your D&D campaigns, while in game, what comes up over and over again?

I know i'm my many groups there's always a bar fight, does everyone trash the local inn before setting out?

Discuss

Flickerdart
2013-05-24, 02:43 PM
Boats. Whenever there's a body of water, someone's gonna boat down it sooner rather than later.

The Bandicoot
2013-05-24, 07:26 PM
Whenever I DM a game the group's beatstick(s) is always known for having gotten into drunken confrontations with the law.

Keep in mind that every beatstick has been a different player with no knowledge of the past games, so it's all just a weird coincidence.

GoddessSune
2013-05-24, 08:29 PM
I know i'm my many groups there's always a bar fight, does everyone trash the local inn before setting out?

I really hate this one. We have like say five hours to play...and as DM I have an adventure ready full of tricks and traps and encounters and monsters and loot...much of it tailored to both the players and the characters. And what do the players want to do...they want to spend two full hours getting into a 'bar fight'. Sigh.

So does ''not listening'' count as something that keeps happening. As every game, I will say something several times, and it will get ignored.

Going nova for no reason is also common.....the 10th level players will encounter some giant snakes...and lay waste to them with maximized scorching rays, for example.

Techwarrior
2013-05-24, 08:36 PM
Agent Johnson becomes a Quest-giving NPC within the first two sessions.

This is regardless of the system, though in DnD it's the funniest.

Flickerdart
2013-05-24, 08:44 PM
Going nova for no reason is also common.....the 10th level players will encounter some giant snakes...and lay waste to them with maximized scorching rays, for example.
Maybe don't throw giant snakes at 10th level players, then? Unless they're, like, 100-foot long. Then maybe.

navar100
2013-05-24, 09:05 PM
Party gets overwhelmed in a combat. Uber-NPC we never met before arrives to save us.

If your character has a child it will be kidnapped.

The information learned last game session is a lie.

Someone changes characters in the middle of the campaign "just because". Even I have done it, though the first time no one knew the true reason.

There's a new house rule this week.

DM asks for questions and feedback about the game. When given, takes it as a personal insult and has a hissy fit.

Disbelieving the world is a legitimate consideration.

:smallsigh: I like everybody too much just to quit.

Edit: On a more light-hearted note that has been true for every game, every campaign, every DM. Unicorns are a bad omen. After the party sees one, there will be a major clustermuck of excrement hitting the air circulation device.

Amphetryon
2013-05-24, 10:16 PM
Intelligent undead. Vampires, liches, you name it. The "precision damage" Players are largely looking to Plan C by this point.

Frosty
2013-05-24, 11:14 PM
Intelligent undead. Vampires, liches, you name it. The "precision damage" Players are largely looking to Plan C by this point.Play Pathfinder. Problem solved :smallwink:

Velaryon
2013-05-24, 11:50 PM
I haven't played in awhile, but when I was these were some of the common occurrences:

One player always either couldn't make it to the session, wanted to bring in a new character, or had lost his character sheet. It got to the point where I kept his sheet for him, would always plan for him not to be there and then do some contingency planning in case he actually did come.

Encountering some kind of kraken-like monster, whether it was in appropriate terrain or not, was another common one. It started off as an in-joke when they encountered a giant squid on a river early in the campaign, and christened it the "river kraken." Soon they were claiming to see krakens in all sorts of places, so when they traveled through a desert I found some kind of tentacled monster with that environment and then told them they were being attacked by a "sand kraken."

Hyena
2013-05-25, 07:06 AM
Things that just keep happening.

One player doesn't make it to the session, another is late for an hour. Happens every session.
We're guarding a caravan. Again.
We're dealing with a criminal empire, which could stomp us with it's finger, but gives us a job instead. Gosh, how sick of it am I.
One of the characters is disabled in humiliating way and needs to be saved.
My character is the center of unwelcomed attention of town females and/or males and is constantly flirted with.
The monstrous humanoids are good, the humans are the real monsters and hypocrites. Elves are even worse.

Angel Bob
2013-05-25, 10:32 AM
Whenever we get into a sticky situation (which is a lot), I always suggest Bluffing "We are a humble band of traveling minstrels," and someone else always shoots it down in favour of a stupider plan.

Furthermore, about 1d6 rounds into combat, the party's archer ranger always finds herself in melee with the toughest brute we're fighting. This is almost never her fault, either. :smalltongue:

banthesun
2013-05-25, 11:09 AM
So does ''not listening'' count as something that keeps happening. As every game, I will say something several times, and it will get ignored.

You might as well count rolling dice as something that keeps happening :smalltongue:

nedz
2013-05-25, 11:16 AM
Party is in two groups. Group A are three scout type characters, Group B are the Cleric and the Wizard. Group A leads so that their stealth won't be ruined.

The scouts spot the encounter and sneak up to do the recon, then they* get bored and engage — in detail usually. Two or three rounds in to the combat the scouts are down/in trouble and the Cleric and Wizard arrive to rescue them.

If the fight is really hard this will involve teleporting out, curing up (and possible raising too), making a plan based upon the intell and then teleporting back in.

(* Usually the same guy )

Amidus Drexel
2013-05-25, 11:59 AM
Puns. Puns keep happening. That, and silly (and wrong) assumptions that get turned into running gags. ...despite how much I dislike being off topic, sometimes it's too funny to resist. :smallamused:

GoddessSune
2013-05-25, 12:21 PM
Party is in two groups. Group A are three scout type characters, Group B are the Cleric and the Wizard. Group A leads so that their stealth won't be ruined.

This...way too often. Typically the stealthily characters say they want to scout ahead for the good of the group, but in reality they just want to cut the other players out of the game and get more experience and loot for themselves. While scouting is fine, the problem comes in when they want to act and leave the rest of the group behind. (And to make it worse, I'll ask if the stealthily character player would like to do a solo game, and they always say no. But, oddly, their idea of a group game is them playing by themselves at a table while four other players just watch them.)

Maybe don't throw giant snakes at 10th level players, then? Unless they're, like, 100-foot long. Then maybe.

As much as I am a Power Gamer, my world still has animals in it. So it is possible for 10th level folks to encounter dogs, snakes and horses that are not triple templated augmented monsters.

Elderand
2013-05-25, 12:29 PM
In your D&D campaigns, while in game, what comes up over and over again?

1 : The sun !
2 : parts of the bard