PDA

View Full Version : The Honey Wizard

Rakoa
2013-05-24, 04:15 PM
It is a running joke in a campaign I'm running that Wizard's have an unhealthy obsession with honey. Don't ask how it started. As it stands, every Wizard save the one in the party is immediately assumed to love honey.

I thought it would be funny to introduce a custom class into the campaign as an NPC, a Wizard themed around honey. Very strange, very funny, but that is the sort of campaign it is.

I think it would be a lovely community exercise to throw around some ideas, some half-formed abilities, a couple of class features that can be built on and discussed, and so on. Perhaps some ideas on refluffing existing spells for Honey-like goodness. Things like Web --> Honey Spray, Slow --> Honey Douse, Acid Splash --> Honey Splash, Create Food --> Create Honey, so on and so forth.

With all luck, by the end of this thread we may even have a fully balanced Honey Wizard class. Not bloody likely, mind you, but perhaps we will have enough for myself or some other brave soul to pull ideas and create one anyway.

Have at it!

inuyasha
2013-05-24, 05:21 PM
Hmm this sounds interesting, feel free to PM me any additional ways i could help :)

Bhu
2013-05-24, 07:35 PM
Bees.

Somehow you must incorporate bees into this.

Vknight
2013-05-24, 07:39 PM
Bees.

Don't forget, flowers, pollen clouds, wasps, and oozes

Xuldarinar
2013-05-24, 07:43 PM
Honey Oozes as summonable creatures and/or as familiars.
Same goes for bees, certain plant type monsters, ect.

Vknight
2013-05-24, 08:08 PM
Bees.

Can't Delete this ignore

gooddragon1
2013-05-24, 08:38 PM
Honey wizard don't care. They just cast where they please. Even in antimagic fields.

Rakoa
2013-05-25, 09:26 AM
Honey Ooze is an awesome idea. Bees, of course, must be incorporated somehow. Flowers, plants and pollen all make sense too and also help with spell refluff. Glitterdust --> Pollendust, Fog Cloud --> Pollen Cloud, Incendiary Cloud --> Flaming Pollen Cloud.

Also refluffed Irresistible Dance to Irresistible Bee Dance.

Honey Ooze as a familiar must happen.

wayfare
2013-05-25, 09:44 AM
Our wisdom flows so sweet. Taste and see.

Sorry, I had to.

[/SecretWorld]

Vknight
2013-05-25, 12:18 PM
Bear's Endurance should get a bonus for Honey Wizard.

Also

Honey Badger familiar or Honey Ooze familiar or Bee familiar or Partially Awakened Rose[Flower] familiar

I think that's a good group of familiars only for Honey Wizards

Also

Honey Badger Skin. DR 5/admantine & slashing

Gildedragon
2013-05-25, 01:34 PM
9th level spell: Honey Badger transformation.
Immunity to poison, full BAB, +8 to physical stats, +8 nat armor, fort=1/2CL+Casting Stat+2
Loose spells, gain whirling frenzy (as 11th level barb), pounce, claw and bite attacks, immunity to fear
----

A bear is also a good honey-wizard familiar. Especially if yellow with a red shirt.
Or an bunny (honey ooze creature)

smoke prism
2013-05-25, 06:06 PM
Class

So sort of portable bee hive (don't know impact it would have)

spells

Tasha's hideous laughter --> Tasha's burnt sugar: Targets taste budes are over come with the taste of burnt sugar.

All fire spells --> Replace fire with molten honey.

Temporal stasis --> honey preservation: cotes the target in honey, that then swiftly crystallises.

Tenser's floating disk --> Tenser's disk of bees: plane of force, becomes bees.

Time stop --> sugar rush: A sudden boost in blood sugar cause the caster to preserve the world at a near stand still.

Transmute rock to mud --> Transmute rock to honey: Honey instead of mud

Wall of honey

Mount: Instead of a horse, it summons a late docile bee.

Meteor swarm: Replace meteors with globs of molten honey.

That's me done for the time being. All this take of honey is making me huger . Hope all this helps.

As an after note all relating to crystal can be replaced with solidified honey.

Gildedragon
2013-05-25, 07:04 PM
Eyebees: "Each round, you may target a single living creature, striking it with waves of evil bees. Depending on the target’s HD, this attack has as many as three effects."
V component: Not the bees!

erikun
2013-05-25, 11:11 PM
Summon Monster I (Celestial Badger -> Honey Badger)
Summon Swarm (swarm of bees)
Summon Monster II (Celestial Giant Bees)
Summon Monster III (Celestial Black Bear)
Summon Monster IV (Fiendish Giant Wasp -> Giant Pollen Wasp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_wasp))
Summon Monster V (Celestial Brown Bear)

Zaydos
2013-05-25, 11:52 PM
I had a character in one of my campaigns whose Manyjaws spell (from Spell Compendium) was instead a swarm of force bees. On that note the same could be applied to magic missile, have the missiles take the form of fist sized bees made of force.

ZeroGear
2013-05-27, 11:19 AM
Abuse the heck out of the Summon Swarm spell.
Also, here's an ide: when making potions, use a honey basis; or turn them into infused honey combs.

Similarly, change Spider Climb into Sticky Feet (your feet are coated with sticky honey that lets you climb walls).

Grease can be Honey Slick (creates very slippery honey)

Other than that, just change a few visual elements of the spells (Hypnotic pattern is a bunch of multi-colored bees dancing, fireball is a horde of flaming bees crashing down on the foe, etc...)

Gildedragon
2013-05-27, 11:29 AM
Mage armor is something like a bee beard or a beekeeper's suit

Scrolls are made out of beeswax

ericp65
2013-05-27, 12:20 PM
Don't forget, flowers, pollen clouds, wasps, and oozes

Why wasps? They don't make honey.

ericp65
2013-05-27, 12:22 PM
Honey wizard don't care. They just cast where they please. Even in antimagic fields.

Honey Wizard is pretty bada** ;)

Gildedragon
2013-05-27, 12:42 PM
Soul of honeybadger: Wizard 9
Components: V S F E Special
Duration: 1 round / level
As "invoke magic" but it is not discharged
Focus: A honey badger pelt that is draped over the head
Wizard must have access to Epic Spellcasting to use this spell
Special: to learn this spell the Wizard must have lived among honeybadgers for a year

Feat: Honey Badger Familiar
Prereq: Familiar, Improved Familiar
Benefit: you gain a honey badger as a familiar (alt. you become a honeybadger's familiar)

Thugorp
2013-05-27, 08:21 PM
Just to be sure do you want this thing to be HONEY themed or more, magic beekeeper with honey over tones? because I have many ideas for either. :-)

Rakoa
2013-05-28, 04:23 PM
Just to be sure do you want this thing to be HONEY themed or more, magic beekeeper with honey over tones? because I have many ideas for either. :-)

Lots of emphasis on the honey, bees not out of place.

But really, I like the way all of these posts are going and don't particularly mind if everyone has different ideas. It's all good!

Mighty_Chicken
2013-05-28, 04:31 PM
My friend who's a bee farmer has already told me of at least a billion health problems honey can treat or heal.

Maybe honey wizards should have access to some cure spell? Or at least Restore? Well, I don't see they could ever get mute. Honey is great for your throat and everything.

In my family, when we have throat infections. we mix honey+lemon+salt and gargle the solution. Does anyone does this? Wouldn't it be great to spit out honey flames or honey diseases after you gargle this sweer homebrew medicine?

Zaydos
2013-05-28, 08:16 PM
Solid Honey: As solid fog, but made of honey instead of fog.

smoke prism
2013-05-29, 12:56 PM
Maze --> honeycomb maze --> maze like the inside a beehive

Levitate and fly --> lifted by a lot of bee's.

Light --> Bee shaped light.

Evards black tentacle --> Evards honey tentacle s: Tentacle s are made out of honey.

Idear

Demiplane of bee's: A massive bee hive, that every wizard feels obligated to go to ones in there life's.

Hope this helps :smallbiggrin:

Rakoa
2013-05-29, 04:07 PM
Demiplane of bee's: A massive bee hive, that every wizard feels obligated to go to ones in there life's.

Oh hell, those other suggestions were good but the quoted one here had me laughing way more than I should. Excellent idea, and I will definitely be using it.

smoke prism
2013-06-04, 06:44 PM
On the Demi-plane of bees, what if the is a portal to the cosmic flower garden.

Acanous
2013-06-04, 09:13 PM
You know what this reminds me of?
DOCTOR BEEEEES (www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtXuBN1Hvc)