PDA

View Full Version : Is there a classless D20 system?

Jeivar
2013-05-24, 05:44 PM
I'm rolling ideas around, and one of them is an over-the-top action fest based on the Expendables. The D20 system seems like the natural choice for something like that, but I don't see a place for classes in it.
Is there a homebrewed or official point-buy system where you just buy skills and feats and hit points with experience or whatever'?

The Rose Dragon
2013-05-24, 05:54 PM
There is Mutants & Masterminds. There is the semi-classless variant of True20. If you are not entirely set on d20, there is Unisystem.

Alternatively, you can just drop all pretension to being classy and play BADASS, because that's the best solution for a The Expendables game. :smalltongue:

LtPowers
2013-05-24, 09:25 PM
The D20 Modern classes would work well in that sort of setting. And they're designed to be multiclassed fairly freely, so you can mostly just pick and choose which class's talents and bonus feats you want.

It also helps to make sure each character has his or her own schtick, and that the party can handle most situations.

Powers &8^]

VanIsleKnight
2013-05-24, 10:50 PM
There is BESM d20, it -does- have classes but you can easily play without them with a relatively minimal amount of effort. It has a bunch of point buy abilities that are core to it's gameplay, which can admittedly make things unbalanced and broken if you aren't careful as the GM. It's an acronym for Big Eyes, Small Mouth (anime) after all.

If you don't want to put any work into classless character generation, you could just have everyone be an Adventurer. They just get 5 character points per level, and you can sprinkle in a few more rewarded Character Points every session or so.

Honestly though, there are easy to get Rank 2 and Rank 3 abilities (arguably even Rank 1) that will do things like have a person jump 60 feet in the air, or run at 25 kilometers/miles per hour. It is entirely possible this option won't work for you.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-05-24, 11:11 PM
There is Mutants & Masterminds. There is the semi-classless variant of True20.
Both of these. M&M might wind up a bit higher power than you wanted, being built for superhero games, but it can work for an action movie type thing, and it's entirely point buy. (There's also an SRD (www.d20herosrd.com) for 3e).

True20 is a decent option as well-- it's class-based, but the "classes" are mostly a chassis with pick-your-own-abilities, and it has very clear-cut rules for designing custom classes.

Emmerask
2013-05-25, 01:14 AM
All flesh must be eaten has alternative d20 rules.

The Rose Dragon
2013-05-25, 01:21 AM
All flesh must be eaten has alternative d20 rules.

At which point I have to ask, if you paid money for such a wonderful system as Unisystem, why would you use the inferior d20 conversion rules?

Jeivar
2013-05-25, 01:34 AM
Alternatively, you can just drop all pretension to being classy and play BADASS, because that's the best solution for a The Expendables game. :smalltongue:

Is that a system?

The Rose Dragon
2013-05-25, 01:49 AM
It is a system, yes. I got it when it was free on RPGNow.com. I suppose it can still be found on Stargazer Games' page.

Here's a link, but I can't check whether it works or not right now. (http://www.stargazergames.eu/games/badass/)

Emmerask
2013-05-25, 02:06 PM
At which point I have to ask, if you paid money for such a wonderful system as Unisystem, why would you use the inferior d20 conversion rules?

I didnīt say I do, just that its possible :D

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-05-25, 02:51 PM
I can also vouch for Hollowpoint (http://www.vsca.ca/Hollowpoint/) as a game that does a great job of emulating that exact genre. Expendables, Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, even a little bit of what you'd get if James Bond were a team gig.

I'll also second the "BADASS" RPG.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-05-25, 04:09 PM
It is a system, yes. I got it when it was free on RPGNow.com. I suppose it can still be found on Stargazer Games' page.

Here's a link, but I can't check whether it works or not right now. (http://www.stargazergames.eu/games/badass/)
Heh. I just read this and it looks amazing. Really simple, mind you, but a ton of fun.