PDA

View Full Version : Lowering immunities

drack
2013-05-24, 06:36 PM
This one's a quick one.

I've heard of monsters and such lowering immunities to get beneficial effects.
Using example of immunity to magic to simplify.

1) Can they actually do this?
2) If they raise their immunity after the spell is cast, do it's effects continue to affect the creature hat is once more immune to magic?

Chronos
2013-05-24, 07:41 PM
It depends on the immunity. Magic immunity is treated like infinitely-high spell resistance, and spell resistance can be lowered voluntarily, which suggests that the same is true of magic immunity. On the other end of the scale, though, you get things like Warforged Juggernauts becoming immune to healing spells, which would be rather pointless if you could lower it.

drack
2013-05-24, 07:46 PM
Well I was wondering more the general case.
So something like immunity to mind effecting could be lowered, given a mind effecting effect, then raised keeping the effect?
Or would a non-undead with immunity to positive energy be able to lower it? :smallconfused:

Just seems odd to me since immunity sounds so final. :smalltongue:

Carth
2013-05-24, 07:54 PM
The example given in the PHB is an elf willingly being put to sleep. If an elf can do that, there's nothing farfetched about accepting a mind affecting buff.

drack
2013-05-24, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys, just wanted to double check this since I've been rolling with it for a while. :smallbiggrin:

sonofzeal
2013-05-24, 08:16 PM
Well I was wondering more the general case.
So something like immunity to mind effecting could be lowered, given a mind effecting effect, then raised keeping the effect?
Or would a non-undead with immunity to positive energy be able to lower it? :smallconfused:

Just seems odd to me since immunity sounds so final. :smalltongue:
I'd handle it case-by-case. Some uses may be abusive, and illogical. A construct should not be benefiting from Morale effects, for example. Generally speaking, I'd say no.... but be flexible in some cases where it helps the game along and isn't a balance concern.

Jack_Simth
2013-05-24, 08:22 PM
This one's a quick one.

I've heard of monsters and such lowering immunities to get beneficial effects.
Using example of immunity to magic to simplify.

1) Can they actually do this?
2) If they raise their immunity after the spell is cast, do it's effects continue to affect the creature hat is once more immune to magic?

It's specifically addressed as part of the saving throw section (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)
A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality. (emphasis added)

You get more detail in the actual player's handbook (see the mention of an elf accepting a sleep spell), but the SRD is utterly quotable.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-24, 08:27 PM
I'd handle it case-by-case. Some uses may be abusive, and illogical. A construct should not be benefiting from Morale effects, for example. Generally speaking, I'd say no.... but be flexible in some cases where it helps the game along and isn't a balance concern.

Well, depends on the construct. Mindless ones, sure, but there's no reason a Brain Golem can't be inspired by an Illithid bard.

Chronos
2013-05-24, 09:42 PM
Wait, a brain golem? Is that an actual thing?

kardar233
2013-05-24, 09:53 PM
I'd say that usually Mind-Affecting effects are suppressed my immunity without a chance to lower it. I come to this decision based on the text of BoED's Empyreal Ecstasy.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-24, 10:07 PM
Wait, a brain golem? Is that an actual thing?

Yup. Fiend Folio page 85. One of the rare intelligent constructs.

Der_DWSage
2013-05-24, 10:43 PM
And again in the Lords of Madness book, where there's some more detail on them. They essentially work as the hands and ears of the Elder Brain, which can't leave its pool.

Chronos
2013-05-25, 09:50 AM
OK, that's just so wrong... And yet, so very right.

drack
2013-05-25, 10:07 AM
Anywho thanks for answering. :smallbiggrin: