PDA

View Full Version : unarmed warblade build help/ critique/ proof read

Jak
2013-05-24, 06:51 PM
I just finished a level 3 warblade build for a High Seas campaign coming up. Does anything here look like it may upset the DM as far as rules go? Also, ideas for where to go next when I level up?

Race: Strongheart Halfling
Class: Warblade 3

Abilities:
Using 32 point buy

Str 10
Dex 20
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 8
Cha 10

Feats:
Improved Unarmed Strike
Weapon Finesse
Skill Knowledge: Iaijutsu Focus

Skill Ranks:

Balance 6
Concentration 6
Iaijutsu Focus 6
Jump 6
Swim 6
Tumble 6

Unarmed Strike: TAB= +8 Damage= 1d2

Stance: Punishing Stance

Manuevers:

1 Moment of Perfect Mind
2 Sapphire Nightmare Blade
3 Sudden Leap
4 ?
5 ?

I'm not really sure what to get for the last 2 maneuvers, the 5th one is acquired at level 3, so it can be a 2nd lvl maneuver.

(On a side note, this character was inspired by the fighting style of Huey Freeman.)

-------------------------------

I'm probably using studded leather, which brings my AC up to 19.

The way this character works is he walks around with his hands in his pockets, uses Sudden leap to close the distance on his enemy, draws his hands as a move, and then uses Sapphire Nightmare Blade to render his opponent flat-footed for the attack, and then uses Iaijutsu focus for that same attack. (This is where I'm making sure nothing is mechanically wrong with his style) Next round he recovers his maneuvers, and the round after he repeats.

Thanks for the help =)

Laura Eternata
2013-05-24, 07:35 PM
A few issues:

Skill Knowledge is from Unearthed Arcana's "Alternative Skill System" according to the SRD. I'd definitely check with your DM to see if that's okay.

To my knowledge, you don't "draw" unarmed attacks. They're effectively what you have equipped when nothing else is. Come to think of it, that sounds like it really doesn't synergize with Iajutsu Focus. Without it (and even with it), your damage output is really low.

As for maneuver recommendations, check out Elfin's warblade handbook. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176968) But, in all honesty, warblade isn't great at the unarmed thing. Have you checked out unarmed swordsage? I'm away from my book right now, but I think it's under "alternative" or "variants" or some such word near the end of the swordsage entry in ToB.

Jak
2013-05-24, 07:46 PM
The Skill Knowledge was approved, and so was the drawing hands out of the pockets. My main concern was the action economy with sapphire nightmare blade and iaijutsu focus. If I'm using punishing stance, and I succeed the concentration check, as well as the Iaijutsu focus check, I would be doing 1d2+3d6 damage, or up to 1d2+6d6 on a high Iaijutsu focus roll. That's respectable for 3rd level, right?

NNescio
2013-05-24, 07:56 PM
(On a side note, this character was inspired by the fighting style of Huey Freeman.)

I'm probably using studded leather, which brings my AC up to 19.

The way this character works is he walks around with his hands in his pockets, uses Sudden leap to close the distance on his enemy, draws his hands as a move, and then uses Sapphire Nightmare Blade to render his opponent flat-footed for the attack, and then uses Iaijutsu focus for that same attack. (This is where I'm making sure nothing is mechanically wrong with his style) Next round he recovers his maneuvers, and the round after he repeats.

Thanks for the help =)

For a second there I thought this was Takamichi from his Ala Rubra days.

Callin
2013-05-24, 08:16 PM
If you go Unarmed Swordsage you still have access to those maneuvers plus a few other really good ones. You get back Improved Unarmed Strike and a Free Weapon Focus with your Unarmed Strikes. Now saying you get that feat back I would suggest taking Adaptive Style for the Swordsage Feat Tax. But all in all its a better trade out I think. Though I do think the Warblade has a better recovery mechanic for what you are goin for.

Nothing wrong with your build btw. I like it. The damage does seem a bit of a toss up to me though.

Jak
2013-05-24, 10:47 PM
If you go Unarmed Swordsage you still have access to those maneuvers plus a few other really good ones. You get back Improved Unarmed Strike and a Free Weapon Focus with your Unarmed Strikes. Now saying you get that feat back I would suggest taking Adaptive Style for the Swordsage Feat Tax. But all in all its a better trade out I think. Though I do think the Warblade has a better recovery mechanic for what you are goin for.

Nothing wrong with your build btw. I like it. The damage does seem a bit of a toss up to me though.

yeah, the damage is a bit of a toss up, which is why I'm going to have to find ways to keep those 2 skill rolls high. But at least my minimum is 1d2+1d6.
and at a +8 to hit, I ought to be able to hit fairly accurately.

Darrin
2013-05-25, 07:20 AM
Manuevers:

1 Moment of Perfect Mind
2 Sapphire Nightmare Blade
3 Sudden Leap
4 ?
5 ?

I'm not really sure what to get for the last 2 maneuvers, the 5th one is acquired at level 3, so it can be a 2nd lvl maneuver.

To take Sudden Leap, you need to take Wolf Fang Strike first, but it's not like that's a bad thing (move + TWF).

After that, I'm a big fan of Mountain Hammer: the Swiss army chainsaw for dealing with DR, dungeon redecorating, or tunneling through stone walls with your fists.

Jak
2013-05-29, 07:58 PM
Alright, a few things have changed,

Str 10
Dex 20
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 8
Cha 8

It's no longer a High Seas Campaign, meaning I no longer need swim. Also, we're allowed to take 2 flaws. I'm thinking 2 weapon fighting, and quickdraw. My question is, can you sheathe two weapons as a move action?