PDA

View Full Version : New GM Advice for Shadowrun Oneshot

ActionReplay
2013-05-24, 06:55 PM
In a rare fit of altruism I agreed to host a oneshot for some friends. Said friends who all happen to have GM'd something for me at some point. And still do for that matter. So I decided to try running a 4E Shadowrun oneshot for them based out of Chicago. A deathrun, wherein we see how far they manage to get to the goal before dying or if they can pull it off. Knowing this, they have decided to min/max disposeable runners. The majority of which are awakened. I have yet to receive the team's player character sheets, however what I know from them is as follows:

Sniper- Optimized for one shot, one kill using custom M1 Garand (we're discussing it), and relies on taser for close quarters. Hilariously, has no perception score. Knows sniper perches, and the most social of the group so far. Professional runner, and wants to die which is his motivation for running. Only unawakened of the party. Focused on pistols, long arms, stealth skill group. Throws 8-20 dice for what he can do. Is my Friday's GM for Shadowrun and experienced with it. Actually have his sheet and only one of the group.

Luchadore- Adept who puts everything into his force 10 foci. Major tank who put almost all his PP into mystic armor. Ends up with something around 49 dice of soak though I've yet to see the sheet and how he accomplished it. Hes focused only on grappling and tanking.

Arch mage- Flashy AOE mage, straight up everything into quelling mobs. All the eggs in this basket fall into spells, magic, etc. Only Chicago native so far.

Mystic Adept- The medic, drives an ambulance. Wants a gunnery turret on her ambulance. Is the GF of one of the players and knows the least about the setting. No experience with it or any tabletops like the other three. I've gotten next to nothing from her so far.

CC/House rules:
No technomancers/hackers/riggers. Little enough tech in Chicago, and I honestly don't want to even attempt sifting through matrix rules as a first time GM.

Trauma wounds and other optionals from augmentation are in play.

Debating if I should reduce body checks for recovery to every hour ic-wise rather than day long or not.

Standard character creation rules as well as, 50bp and 25,000Y for spending after character creation. I gave them the option of having it from their own stash and saving it, being given it by the Johnson, or spending it before they meet the Johnson. More on reasoning for this later.

Player expectations:
This was the hardest part to come by. From what I managed to strangle out of them, they would like the following:

Being challenged
Being given subtle clues to the run
Having a difficult run
Being told an enjoyable story they play out
Seeing Jackpoint users somewhere in the run
The subtle twists and backstabbing typical of the run.

Evil plan (In progress) follows:

Prelude
Done before oneshot proper. After crossing the Johnson or the entity the Johnson represents, the team is forcibly acquired and brought together one after another. They awaken in a barren room save for the chairs they are strapped down to, the table the Johnson sits at, and the clock on his desk. They will hear a ticking throughout the welcoming speech and run details. It will be revealed the clock is powerless and unmoving when they are informed they have all been 'gifted' with a bioware bomb that is synchronized between the four of them. If any dies, tries quitting, or doublecrosses the john, they go boom. Similar results occur if they try to jam the signal, leave it's range, or fail to accomplish the task in 3 days time. They will be told to not attempt to go to any of the city's clinics to have it removed or there might be unfortunate consequences for all involved. The latter being a lie, there are no secret backdoors in it nor have the clinics been offered a hefty sum to turn them in to the Johnson's interests.

The job actual is a heist. They are tasked with making their way to The Spire and recovering lost tech/paydata/insert valuable thing here from within a room close to the upper floor. The Spire has recently been evacuated by it's current owner's after allegedly uncovering something best left sealed up. At this point the Johnson leaves and directs them to the sole contact they will be able to get in contact with. Who acts as a fixer/knowledgeable about the Chicago sprawl. Works for the John.

1a. This is the truth. There is indeed a bomb in their noggins. It gives me a method of forcing cooperation as well as killing the tank without having to get past his soak/body.
1b. This is a half truth, they have been implanted with a bomb, however the Johnson has no control over the actual detonator. For the detonator is the very target they are being sent to recover. An antique radio emitting a broadcast across the Chicagoland sprawl.

The Johnson knowing of the radio's existence or the existence of actual valuables I have yet to decide on. It hinges on if the Johnson is making a very elaborate torture as payback, or a more sinister plot. Regardless of which, I'm going to rule no essence loss from their unwilling implants. Most are awakened after all.

The Sprint
This is where we start the actual run, and where I start twisting the screws in. The reasons I gave such an odd way to spend nuyen are as such:

1. If the group bought anything beforehand as well as their CC ends up in a dead drop they have to get to. If they spent everything? Have fun getting there naked.
2. They will be told by their fixer he has arranged for them to pick up their personal belongings in a chest just outside. This is before they purchase anything. If they fail to buy any weapons and stock up solely on ammo? Same as above.

When they hit the chest outside all they see are the keys to the medic's ambulance, and a note telling them their gear is in another castle. Said castle is the medic's ambulance parked 10 miles away. If they try to go back they will have to beat down a plasteel door to find no one inside. If they try calling him, they get a sincere sounding apology and are informed it was simply what the boss ordered. A test to see if they would need new expendables or if they had what it took for later on. My intent is to use this as a wake up call and something to prep them for what I intend to do later. Here I will probably roll a 1d6 for a random encounter on the way after letting them sweat it out. Which they can resolve through stealth, diplomacy, or combat if they botch the other two.

To negate any bypass I intend for the 25kY to be in corp script with the only place that takes it aside from the fixer, is a major detour to the corridor. So no surprise rides hitched by paying for a ride at an air port. Though I intend to let some of the natives they meet take it for trade. They'll know where to cash it in.

Unless they are severely unlucky, they get a call from the fixer informing them of their four route options if they didn't think to ask beforehand. One is through a mostly collapsed highway, one is by river, one through the even more collapsed and unstable subway system, and by cutting straight through the heart of the sprawl...fully embroiled by a gang war. The Fix assures them that any of the four are the quickest ways they'll have access to. It is here that I come up a bit short.

Highway- Obviously motor bandits, can intercept them here and force drive checks to avoid going a few stories off the highway. But I'm not really sure what else I can use. Secret collapse spot if they're loaded down to the gills in heavy equipment? Makeshift barricade done by said bandits? If they pass it, they'll make it to the spire.

Subway- Plain and simple the trap zone. Collapses, ghouls mutants, weaker bugs, homicidal nutjobs, pitfalls, rigged train traps. The works. If they make it through the worst of it, they get a clear shot to an exit by the Spire base. They still have to run for the better part of a couple days, and will be the most time consuming route. Definitely one of the worst picks they could make if I go with 1A. Maybe one of the best for 1B...?

Shortcut Warcut- Fastest route and the deadliest. Anti-vehicle weaponry ahoy as well as any number of trigger happy survivalists to come across. After a few lies spread by the Johnson or a few symbols painted on to the ambulance, both sides will happily open fire on the group.

River Rapids- I have the least idea for this approach. I know falling into the river is bad news, but I'm coming up short on what else I can do. From what I read, theres not much pirating going on. Hardest part would likely be finding the boat. The medium safe but slow route? I really need suggestions here.

The Sierra MadreSpire
So if they make it this far, congrats! Welcome to hard mode. This is the main part of the job and one I'm really struggling with the most. My ideas are still being formulated for this largely in part due to it is where the main plot and clues dropped before here come into play. Or maybe its where I start dropping clues? The goal is floor 289 out of 300 floors. I intend for them to try to restore power to the building and get the elevators working for the lower levels. Which if successful, saves them a day and gets them to floor 100 or 250. From here, I actually start my best to kill them. Having ghosts of the original bug attack start to flood in slowly from the bottom floor, bug spirits awakening as the largest concentration short of ground zero, sealed rooms containing chemically active FABIII, traps left by long dead survivalists who took shelter here, or perhaps given this was the original site of mass produced SIMS and BTLS iirc, a rather unpleasant reality bending surprise from their cranial additions.

In the target room, it all comes together based on what I decide to do.

1A. The cake was not a lie and lo and behold, there was gold in the hills after all. They get a congratulatory call from their fixer who informs them if they can make it to the roof they will provide an extraction team. Happily adding if they live there will be a spot for them as company men. They now have to figure out how to bypass the two floors where the queen spirits dwell. Or a way down past a variable sea of spirits.
1B. The signal being broadcast is actually generating the sprawl wide war. Engineered by remnants of the universal brotherhood, a high force spirit seeking a way into the world, or simply a prime runner at superhuman tier paid to screw them over and end them by the Johnson after making it this far. I'm aware of the Mana ebb and would have to think of some explanation if using the spirit idea.

So mighty GITP of anguish, how might I bring the runner group to ruin? Any advice, or ideas would be welcome. Constructive criticism of my current plan is welcome as well. Too short, too long, too lethal?

http://i44.tinypic.com/f05kky.png