PDA

View Full Version : RPG systems with minimal/support magic only

Corvus
2013-05-24, 07:21 PM
After too many years of roleplaying to count, I have got to the point where D&D has turned me off from magic heavy systems, where wizards and clerics can do everything and the rest have to be loaded down with magic items to be of use.

So what I'm looking for is systems were magic is fairly limited, either being support or farily minimal in what it can do. Something like the magic of Middle Earth, or the style of Conan or Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. They survive by sword and muscle, not spells and magic items.

Of course, you'd need to have the magic users be able to contribute still, just not wiping out legions of enemies with fireballs. If they were soemthing like a spell casting version of the Warlord from 4e, that would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

Grinner
2013-05-24, 07:23 PM
Are you specifically looking for high fantasy?

Corvus
2013-05-24, 07:29 PM
Fantasy in general. It could be high fantasy, like Lord of the Rings, or heroic/sword and srocery fantasy, like Conan or Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

Grinner
2013-05-24, 07:33 PM
Well, there's a few urban fantasy games as well. WitchCraft, for example, where it's probably better to get the drop on someone with a shotgun than engage in a spell-fight.

Rhynn
2013-05-24, 07:48 PM
Chaosium's Stormbringer (not the later Elric!, although even that doesn't really have offensive combat magic IIRC). The only magic is the summoning and binding of demons, which is slow and dangerous business, and is mostly a "support" thing (binding them into items).

Conan d20 has this in effect, more or less. There are spells that can be used in combat, but mostly even magic you work against someone is better done in the privacy of your sanctum. Sorcerers also just aren't really meant to be PCs.

Pendragon has this for sure. Spellcasting PCs are completely optional and sort of outside the rules and spirit of the game, and their magic is more the type you're looking for.

The One Ring: Adventures Beyond the Edge of the Wild is a late Third Age (between The Hobbit and LotR) Middle Earth RPG with no PC magic-users or, indeed, a magic system.

The Riddle of Steel is, IMO, best played without the Sorcery rules. Even if you use them, sorcerers are best off relying on steel (and perhaps someone else to swing it for them) because very few spells can be cast fast enough for combat, and all spellcasting ages you (with months as the unit), and you have a chance to fall unconscious from the strain every time you do age from casting.

Ozfer
2013-05-24, 09:58 PM
Burning Wheel has some great magic rules, and although I don't own it, I've heard many good things about the add-on book, "Magic Burner". Burning Wheel is a great system overall, with brutal combat, great character creation rules, and magic that feels rare and difficult.