PDA

View Full Version : Soul Eater fail?

Yael
2013-05-24, 11:12 PM
I was reading the Soul Eater Prestige Class (BoVD, p.66) and I saw something weird...

It's about the picture it shows. It's an Illithid bestowing negative levels on a humanoid, maybe a female humanoid.
Well, the requirements for being a Soul Eater are:

Type: Any living nonhumanoid (monstrous humanoid is acceptable).
Alignment: Any evil.
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 2 ranks.
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Focus (claw or other natural weapon).
Special: Soul eaters are usually created against their will. Sometimes, the emissary of an evil god or a powerful fiend approaches a monster on the verge of death. In exchange for continued life, the creature must feed on souls thereafter. More rarely, a creature desiring the ability to feed on souls undergoes a forbidden, profane ritual that allows it to become a soul eater.

So, did you see the error?

AuraTwilight
2013-05-24, 11:18 PM
....And? Illithids are nonhumanoids by virtue of being Abberations.

Cerlis
2013-05-24, 11:18 PM
I was reading the Soul Eater Prestige Class (BoVD, p.66) and I saw something weird...

It's about the picture it shows. It's an Illithid bestowing negative levels on a humanoid, maybe a female humanoid.
Well, the requirements for being a Soul Eater are:

Type: Any living nonhumanoid (monstrous humanoid is acceptable).
Alignment: Any evil.
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 2 ranks.
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Focus (claw or other natural weapon).
Special: Soul eaters are usually created against their will. Sometimes, the emissary of an evil god or a powerful fiend approaches a monster on the verge of death. In exchange for continued life, the creature must feed on souls thereafter. More rarely, a creature desiring the ability to feed on souls undergoes a forbidden, profane ritual that allows it to become a soul eater.

So, did you see the error?

Isn't the Soul Eater referring to the Illithid (a monstrous humanoid), not the human?

TuggyNE
2013-05-24, 11:25 PM
I'm not seeing any obvious error. Care to enlighten us?

SaintRidley
2013-05-24, 11:35 PM
There's no error there.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-05-25, 12:00 AM
I believe the OP was assuming that the picture depicted a Soul Eater in the process of being created.

TuggyNE
2013-05-25, 12:27 AM
I believe the OP was assuming that the picture depicted a Soul Eater in the process of being created.

Oh. Well, I'm pretty sure it isn't, so problem solved?

Yael
2013-05-25, 01:09 AM
I mean that I think that Illithids are already OP... Why give them more to DESTROOOOOY D:

TuggyNE
2013-05-25, 01:58 AM
I mean that I think that Illithids are already OP... Why give them more to DESTROOOOOY D:

The class raises their CR and requires some lame feat taxes. I'm still not seeing a serious problem? (Especially if the granted Energy Drain is a standard action, which I'm pretty sure it is.)

PersonMan
2013-05-25, 02:20 AM
If you choose it to be a "nonassociated" class, then it can give a nice HD (aren't their psionics and other DCs based on HD?) boost and some more options for a relatively small CR boost.

I can see Energy Drain to lower saves/grapple, followed by Mind Blast into grapple'n'eat.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-25, 02:35 AM
I think the OP is just still very disoriented from his trip on the turtle's back and return home.

Emperor Ing
2013-05-25, 02:39 AM
Am I the only one dissapointed that the Soul Eater PrC contains very little soul-eating?

AuraTwilight
2013-05-25, 01:46 PM

So basically you were wasting people's time by labeling your personal opinion an objective error?

Because Illithids aren't THAT OP. Not compared to what a PC taking this PrC is probably going to do with it.

Yael
2013-05-25, 01:57 PM
So basically you were wasting people's time by labeling your personal opinion an objective error?

Not really... I am somewhat embarrased because I always misread the type... I ALWAYS have been reading the entry as ''Any living humanoid'', not the opposite (Any living nonhumanoid)...

It was my bad... u_u

Chauncymancer
2013-05-25, 04:29 PM
There is one, cannon fluff, error:
In Lords of Madness, Illithids are described as not fearing death, so long as they get to join the great brain. So an illithid soul eater wouldn't be trying to avoid death to begin with, in any ordinary circumstances.

AuraTwilight
2013-05-25, 04:39 PM
An Illithid that learns the truth that their kind's consciousness don't actually join the Elder Brain's. There you go.

JoshuaZ
2013-05-25, 06:46 PM
There is one, cannon fluff, error:
In Lords of Madness, Illithids are described as not fearing death, so long as they get to join the great brain. So an illithid soul eater wouldn't be trying to avoid death to begin with, in any ordinary circumstances.

AuraTwilight beat me to the most obvious answer. But there are others also. Illithid sorcerers are sometimes outcasts (and others might be outcasts also). Or a lone illithid might take this if their own home colony has been destroyed. Or an illithid who has some special power or destiny and therefore thinks they need to personally survive.

PersonMan
2013-05-25, 06:54 PM
Or any Illithid separated from those who would bring it back to the Elder Brain.

SaintRidley
2013-05-25, 06:58 PM
Or Alhoons, what with the whole becoming an undead abomination to avoid dying (and thus being merged into the Elder Brain) thing.

Alternately, a perfectly normal Flayer is near death and away from its community, so Ilsensine decides "Soul Eater - bam!" And thus our Flayer lives, Ilsensine gets some cred among Flayers, etc.